OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:31 am

Mmmmmm, BigBilly, leek & potato soup is wonderful. I even like the cold version, vichyssiose. :yum: Can imagine a wonderful winter dinner of leek & potato soup, followed by steak & kidney pie with thin sliced buttered carrots, cauliflower cheese with some baby peas thrown in for colour, or, of course, some of your lovely fresh frozen broad beans. :D

Now what's for dessert??? :whistle:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

Never had a leek before. Do they taste like onions and are they grown like onions?

Will have to google to see if they can be grown in my part of the world.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

While leeks have a different, more subtle flavour than onions, Glad, I think they are grown much like onions. BigBilly could best answer that.

They tend to be used as a flavour vegetable in their own right, such as leek soup, etc. They can be used in dishes that need this type of subtlety, such as quiches.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Thanks Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

My pleasure, Glad. :)

How is your garden, BigBilly??? Do hope it is bursting with produce for you & your wife. :D

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:Never had a leek before. Do they taste like onions and are they grown like onions?

Will have to google to see if they can be grown in my part of the world.

Sorry for the delay in answering Glad. Yes leeks are grown like onions. I grow mine from seed in a seed bed, then when they get nearly as thick as a pencil transplant into holes made with a dibber at about 9 inch squares. I trim a bit off each end of each plant before putting it in the holes, and i dont back fill, just water them in.

Would agree with everything that Joy said about flavour and use. Its probably the most useful veggie we grow as it is no trouble to grow , with so many uses, and will stand in the ground right through the winter, even last winter when it went down to our very low temps.

If you can grow it in your area do have a go, i don't think you will regret it.

Will get a pic of the bed.

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

Joy wrote:My pleasure, Glad.

How is your garden, BigBilly??? Do hope it is bursting with produce for you & your wife.

Garden it doing very well thanks Joy. We are still getting a lot of veggies, more in fact than we can eat so have been giving the neighbors some as well as keeping the two kids that live near supplied.

Am going to have to have a go at the pickling that Glad does as we are getting the freezers full now, and theres still more, beans,peas,cauliflowers and broccolli coming.

Had greengages and some plums given to us by a friend so made some jam and will bottle some plums.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing word)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

My word, you & your wife sure have been busy, BigBilly. What a wonderful growing season you have had. Congratulations!! I'll bet the neighbours & your kids are, also, very thankful for that. You will eat well this coming winter, too. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

One of the newly planted leek beds.

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

Thanks for your kind comments Joy. Must admit its very rewarding to reap what you sow.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:00 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, plenty of leek & potato soup coming up, BigBilly. :smile: That is a good sized bed to plant, too. Fantastic. How's your back?? My old "nurses' back" would be complaining loudly. Creak, groan. :lol2:

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:17 pm

Joy wrote:Mmmmmm, BigBilly, leek & potato soup is wonderful. I even like the cold version, vichyssiose. Can imagine a wonderful winter dinner of leek & potato soup, followed by steak & kidney pie with thin sliced buttered carrots, cauliflower cheese with some baby peas thrown in for colour, or, of course, some of your lovely fresh frozen broad beans.

Now what's for dessert???

How about clementines in brandy with cream Joy

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

My back is always complaing Joy and i do a lot of my gardening on all fours, should be ashamed to admit it,

but at least i'm doing it, its just getting upright again.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:
    Joy wrote:Mmmmmm, BigBilly, leek & potato soup is wonderful. I even like the cold version, vichyssiose. Can imagine a wonderful winter dinner of leek & potato soup, followed by steak & kidney pie with thin sliced buttered carrots, cauliflower cheese with some baby peas thrown in for colour, or, of course, some of your lovely fresh frozen broad beans.

Now what's for dessert???

How about clementines in brandy with cream Joy

Sounds perfectly fine to me, BigBilly. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:My back is always complaing Joy and i do a lot of my gardening on all fours, should be ashamed to admit it,

but at least i'm doing it, its just getting upright again.

I have to bend over, BigBilly, as I cannot get down onto my knees. :o As for me getting back upright, that would be a real sight!! :rofl:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:21 am

No down on my knees either Joy. I will bend over as ugly as it may look.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:05 am

:lol2: I try to make sure no one is around when I bend over outside, Glad, especially when I am taking macro shots of my flowers or plants. That, definitely, requires some serious bending over. :whistle: :rofl:

Post by Guest on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:08 am

Sorry for not being around much, have been a bit busy.

A few pics of the veggies.

Carrots, beetroot and sprouts under the mesh.

We are picking the runner beans

Spring onions in the bath.

The sweetcorn is not quite ready.

Cabbages under the mesh.

3 rows of broad beans, just about ready to pick.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:58 am

No need to apologise, BigBilly. One look at your amazing garden & it is obvious it would keep you busy, along with all the other activities you do. Being busy keeps us going. :good:

Your veggies look so healthy & that, I'd imagine, would be due to your vigilance & clever plant husbandry. With the broad beans, do you skin the beans when you remove them from the pods or are they young enough that this is not necessary?? Sometimes, when I have bought them frozen they still have the skin on them which is a bit tough & doesn't taste so good. :sick2:

Many thanks for these great pics & for keeping us up-to-date with your veggie garden. It is fantastic. :clap:

Post by Guest on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

Thanks Joy. No we dont skin the broad beans, we pick them when they are fairly young, loose some of the bulk but definately gain in taste and tenderness.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:02 pm

Did think your broad beans would be picked whilst still young & tender, BigBilly. Much superior, in every way, to the bought ones. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Looking great BBilly!

Never grown sprouts so that picture was extraordinary for me to see.

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

We have to protect all the brassicas Glad , from the cabbage white butterfly.

Pic of the eggs of the pest, hatch into catterpillars and eat all the leaves if not found.

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:32 pm

Post by Guest on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:42 am

The dreaded cabbage white butterfly.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

What a top shot, BigBilly!!! :photos: That is a perfect capture!! :bravo: It is a shame this pretty little butterfly can cause such destruction. Guess its caterpillars need to eat something, but it is a shame they don't prefer to eat weeds instead of cabbages. :cranky:

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm