OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Glad E Olah

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

Billy you can substiute green tomatoes instead of cabbage if you don't want to wait that long

As a matter of fact there is a green tomato relish that lots of people call "End of the garden relish" because it is using up items when frost is predicted. It too calls for cabbage.

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:46 am

A nice bed of Little Gem lettuce

Had a peep under the brassicas covers. Cauliflower

Calabreese.

Calabreese

Potatoes were showing first signs of blight, so cut the tops off and disposed of them, (not on the compost heap )

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:22 am

Thanks for the info re the relish Glad, but look what i found today.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

Your lettuces, cauliflower, broccoli & cabbages are growing so well, BigBilly. It must be a great source of pleasure to see this happening.

It is a shame about your potatoes, though. Will they still be ok??? Blight can be a dreadful thing for potatoes & tomatoes from what I just read on the net. Did you burn the foliage?? So pleased for you your keen eyes spotted this early enough. :D

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

I think the potatoes will be ok Joy, caught it at a very early stage. Will know more later today when i dig some more. Probably have to do the same to my son's patch too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

It probably would be wise to, BigBilly. This blight is very contagious, isn't it?? Hopefully the potatoes will be fine. Fingers crossed. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

Good looking cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce and cabbage Billy.

What does blight look like and will potatoes continue to grow?

Son dug ours up today for vines were completely dried.

Post by Guest on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:23 am

The first sign of blight is usually brown patches on the leaves Glad, then the potatoes get brown patches on them and rot. Ive left them in the ground and hope that they will grow a bit more, but they are quite good now.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Thanks BigBilly.

Luckily mine have not shown this. The leaves start to turn yellow then soon the plant dies off then I know it is soon time to dig them up.

Post by Guest on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 4:47 am

Started resowing ground vacated by used crops today. Sowed beetroot, radish. & lettuce seed. Also planted out lettuce that i grew from seed in plastic cells, so that as soon as ground became vacant from the potatoes they are off to a flying start.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:54 am

Those lettuce seedlings look pretty healthy to me, BigBilly. They certainly have plenty of roots & good leaves. Should do well. Egg & lettuce sandwiches very soon I would think. :D

Your climate does support growing veggie crops, very well.

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:09 pm

Had a look under the mesh this morning, found 9 nice cauliflowers. Going to start freezing these 5 before the slugs get on them as we are having a spell of wet weather. Also dug the rest of the potatoes too yesterday for the same reason.

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

Joy wrote:Those lettuce seedlings look pretty healthy to me, BigBilly. They certainly have plenty of roots & good leaves. Should do well. Egg & lettuce sandwiches very soon I would think.

Your climate does support growing veggie crops, very well.

Yes Joy, although we moan about our weather at times, its certainly very good for veggies.

The lettuce is the only one we grow now , its a cos, and one is just right for the two of us, called Little Gem.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm

My word, those caulis look fantastic, BigBilly!! Certainly make the ones we see in the greengrocer's look very second rate. They will freeze well, too.

Cos is an extremely nice lettuce but I must confess I do favour iceberg, though it does take me a little while to get through one. :lol2: The only thing green that Bruiser would eat would be a green jellybean. :rofl:

Post by Guest on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:43 pm

Ready for the freezer, and the wife is just finishing the cauliflower cheese for todays lunch. All in under an hour from the garden.
    I'm having Black pudding with mine.
    Used to grow the ice berg lettuce Joy but they are a bit big for he two of us and i get on better growing the little gem, and the size means we don't waste any.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

Beautiful cauliflower BBilly. I love cheese on it as well.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:56 am

BLACK PUDDING!!!!! I LOVE black pudding, BigBilly & cauliflower cheese, as well, but have never had them together. Haven't even seen black pudding, in the shops, for years, unfortunately.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 8:05 am

Now how could I have not read the mention of black pudding?

By the way what is black pudding?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 8:14 am

Black pudding is a type of blood sausage made from various kinds of animal blood & fillers, Glad. Sounds gross but is rather delicious for those of us who love it. Most cultures (from Europe to Asia) have their own version & the German one is known as blutwurst.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:41 am

Indeed it does sound gross! Ucky. I will stick to a slice of turkey, and occasional roast beef or ham.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:50 am

:lol: Oh, did I also mention Glad, it is very nutritious?? :D

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 6:24 am

Finished off the first batch of cauliflowers.

This was the best of the crop.

Planted the bed with leeks for a winter crop.

Had an easy day today, had a tooth pulled so no strenuous work.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:39 am

Ooooohwaaaaah, BigBilly. :o Do hope your mouth feels better real soon.

That is a beautiful looking cauliflower. Looks good enough to eat raw. :lol: Which reminds me, my mother would give us a choice of whether we wanted to eat our cauliflower raw or cooked. My four siblings chose raw & I was the only one who ate it cooked. :lol!:

Mmmmm, love leeks. They are great in sauces & soups. :love:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Beautiful cauliflower Billy.

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:39 am

Joy wrote:Ooooohwaaaaah, BigBilly. Do hope your mouth feels better real soon.

That is a beautiful looking cauliflower. Looks good enough to eat raw. Which reminds me, my mother would give us a choice of whether we wanted to eat our cauliflower raw or cooked. My four siblings chose raw & I was the only one who ate it cooked. :lol!:

Mmmmm, love leeks. They are great in sauces & soups.

I think leeks are one of the best veg we grow Joy, so versatile and and reliable and will stand out in the garden right through the winter. Just love leek and potato soup.

The caulis have been great this year and what we didn't eat as cauliflower cheese are in the freezer.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:31 am

Mmmmmm, BigBilly, leek & potato soup is wonderful. I even like the cold version, vichyssiose. :yum: Can imagine a wonderful winter dinner of leek & potato soup, followed by steak & kidney pie with thin sliced buttered carrots, cauliflower cheese with some baby peas thrown in for colour, or, of course, some of your lovely fresh frozen broad beans. :D

Now what's for dessert??? :whistle:

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:37 pm