OUR IMAGES

BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

default BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Guest on Mon 30 May 2011, 6:04 pm

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Mon 30 May 2011, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I need to add some text as an explanation of the pic;s Joy, not sure how to do it)
    Dawn

default Re: BIGBILLY21'S GARDEN

Post by Dawn on Mon 30 May 2011, 7:17 pm

how wonderful a nice sized vegetable garden! :) I love boxed beds they always look neat .Is that tomatoes in the enclosed section? Hmmm trees in the background too, I love trees, so lovely and green as England always is :love:. Sorry for all the questions, I saw you are awaiting to post some description, but the photo says so much as is . :good: .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 30 May 2011, 9:02 pm

What a wonderful veggie garden you have BigBilly!! It is fantastic!! There must have been a great deal of work gone into building & establishing it. That is something you should be very proud of. You & your wife would certainly eat well from the look of all that fresh produce. Thank you for posting that image. Am looking forward to seeing more of your lovely garden.

I see you have plenty of netting covering parts of your garden. Do you have much of a problem with critters looking for a free feed??

To put text in with the picture you type your text into the message body (that is the window that appears when you click onto the New Topic or Post Reply buttons) then add your picture straight after it. Or vice versa, if you want the text to appear after the picture. Then click send.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 31 May 2011, 2:10 pm

Wow BigBilly21!

You have a beautiful garden and I see absolutely no weeds!
    Wish I could say the same about mine.

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

These two pictures are of the other half of the garden that we have to play with, it's actually my son's but we do most of the work as he has his own one man auto electrical firm and doesn't get much time. Most of it is down to brassicas, grown through weed surpresant material and covered by fine mesh to keep the cabbage white butterfly away.

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

This is the wrinkley's rest area that we have in the top corner, overlooking the flower garden

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

The view from the seats looking over the flower bed, which is outside the kitchen window.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

Looks good Billy, I can see how it keeps you busy :D

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

A good show of lupins & foxgloves this year

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

Oh how I envy you folks who can grow tomatoes & cucumbers outside, have to grow mine under glass or polythene.

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

The raised strawberry bed in the fruit cage, once all the soft fruit is picked the cage becomes a chicken run again.

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:Wow BigBilly21!

You have a beautiful garden and I see absolutely no weeds!
    Wish I could say the same about mine.

Believe me Glad the weeds are there, and like you we have to work hard to keep them down. But I do believe in the old saying " one years seeding = 7 years weeding " and by trying to stop them seeding we have noticed there are a few less.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

My word, Bigbilly, you & your wife, most definitely, have a marvellous garden. The flowers are beautiful & those lupins are stunning. The colours are wonderful. Foxgloves were common along the roadsides in NZ where I was born & lived until we came here to Australia. Your house is lovely & the garden seating is so comfy looking. A real plus, in my opinion. That is an attractive corner in your terrific garden.

Your son is lucky to have you to look after his part of the garden. :D That is a good idea to have the strawberries in a raised bed. Would make it easier to pick them too. :lol: Same with the hanging cucumbers. Are they, what we call, telegraph cucumbers??

Everything looks so good & it shows how much work has gone into all of it. You are both doing a wonderful job in looking after it now. Thank you for posting these pictures so we can drool a little. :lol!:

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:51 pm

The cucumbers we grow are an outdoor variety Joy, but by growing inside they grow bigger and i don't have to use heat early in the year to get a reasonable crop. The name is Burpless tasty green.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:59 pm

Another good idea, BigBilly. It would also, help to keep bugs & birds away from them, too. As I have never grown veggies :blush: I tend to only know the the different varieties of things, like cucumbers, by the name they are given in the shops. There are two straight thin cucumbers that I have seen sold here & they are the telegraph (the long ones) & Lebanese cucumbers which are shorter. Both are supposed to be burp free. :whistle:

PS Bruiser's food plate is a veggie-free zone, I'm afraid.

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

Post by Guest on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

You win some, you lose some, sowed 8 potatoes in a bed under the greenhouse staging in early march, hoping to get some early new potatoes,
    what happened ? tops grew over 4 foot tall till they were in danger of swamping everything else, so dug them up a few minutes ago, thats what i got for my efforts. Moral of the story!!! don't do it again....learn by your mistakes!!!!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

Oh dear, BigBilly!! Did all the growing go into the foliage?? Hope the potatoes were delicious & that there were enough for a couple of meals, at least. :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 6:59 am

Great pictures BigBilly21. Those cucumbers are beautiful!

I am anxious to dig my potatoes. I hope they do ok. I wouldn't worry about your efforts. You no doubt learned something.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 7:21 am

Really lovely photos of your beautiful garden BigBilly21. great cucumbers and I :love: the lupins. Lots of work you have put in there eh! But its great to be outdoors isn't it? Thank you for showing us :good:

Last edited by Dawn on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

You are so right about being outside Dawn,we love it. We have just about finished the bulk of the flower planting now so hopefully will be able to take it a bit easier and admire our efforts, but thers always something to do. Daft as it may seem i find it relaxing sitting with a cup of tea watching the chickens with all their little odd bits of behavior.

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:Great pictures BigBilly21. Those cucumbers are beautiful!

I am anxious to dig my potatoes. I hope they do ok. I wouldn't worry about your efforts. You no doubt learned something.

Was really dissapointed with the spuds Glad, because the two tubs of them that i started in the greenhouse but then moved outside gave us a real good crop. guess it was like Joy said ,all the energy went to make tops, also could it be the amount of light, its a bit gloomy where they were at times being under the staging.

You are right about learning Glad specially with gardening, and we are never too old to learn. The info on this site is amazing but the only trouble at this time of the year if finding time to read it all.

What i do say is great work Joy !!!

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Thank you very much. BigBilly. :thankyou:

Most importantly, keep on enjoying your gardening. You will have much to teach those of us who have yards to garden in.

Must say, watching chickens scratching around would be kind of relaxing. Do they eat the garden waste & weeds??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Joy wrote:Thank you very much. BigBilly. :thankyou:

Most importantly, keep on enjoying your gardening. You will have much to teach those of us who have yards to garden in.

Must say, watching chickens scratching around would be kind of relaxing. Do they eat the garden waste & weeds??

You are so right about that Joy, I see plenty of gardens with loads of gardening potential space wise and very little utilised!. As for the chickens "I wish" unfortunately living in a suburb "no chickens allowed" but for a good reason I suppose. So I just adopt the pesky pigeons to be my "chickens". :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

:lol2: One does have to make do with what is at hand, Dawn. Guess our "chickens" would be the noisy, scrappy, funny rainbow lorikeets that abound here.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:38 pm