OUR IMAGES

Relationships between Butterflies and Plants.

Dawn

default Relationships between Butterflies and Plants.

Post by Dawn on Sat 28 May 2011, 3:33 am

It was butterflies... years ago, that really awakened my conciousness to how the chain of events 'out there' affect each other. The Brenton Blue butterfly (Orachrysops niobe (Trimen) (Lepidoptera, Lycaenidae) was thought to be extinct in the areas of Knysna on the Garden Route on our southern coast, due to a plant that had become endangered or thought to have become extinct (Indigofera erecta) , because of urbanisation and developement. But it was in the not too distant past that they made the discovery of a colony of Brenton Blues in this same area. The excitement in the Butterfly loving community was so great they were spurred into action as the Brenton Blue was yet again threatened as developers had bought up the land and the one and only plant the Brenton Blue feeds on was yet again threatened (Indigofera erecta). I love a story like that and followed this project for a number of years, and also donated towards the cause. They did manage to buy up the developers land and so protect the plant and the butterfly from sure distinction. :cheers:

Brenton Blue Project

When I was voting for Table Mountain again on Thursday I found this interesting article on a butterfly that only feeds on red flowers!!. The Aeropetes tulbaghia (Table mountain beauty, Mountain pride) .

Amazing I love learning about this stuff so thought I would share it with you :)

Table Mountain Beauty Butterfly
    Bruce

default Re: Relationships between Butterflies and Plants.

Post by Bruce on Sat 28 May 2011, 4:42 am

That was interesting, thanks Dawn, good job :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 May 2011, 10:24 am

This is a very interesting topic, Dawn. Thanks for posting it.

We, too, have in our area, a very endangered butterfly, the Richmond Birdwing butterfly, which only has one plant its larva can feed on. Trouble is, the Richmond Birdwing Vine is also endangered & there is a big push to get people to plant it in their gardens. To complicate matters there is an imported vine which is very similar to it & was a common garden planting years ago. It has escaped to become a weed pest. This plant, Dutchmans Pipe vine is toxic to the Richmond Birdwing caterpillars &, unfortunately, the female butterfly is tricked into laying its few eggs on it with the hatching larva dying after eating the leaves. Part of the conservation efforts are, also, to eradicate this invasive vine. One place we lived at had this vine & it spread everywhere, even inside the house. Didn't know then it was so dangerous but, instinctively, didn't like it.

Did notice this summer that there was a huge increase in butterflies, in general, in our yard. Maybe this was why one of the Brazilian Walking iris flowers managed to get fertilised & produce that seed pod. :smile:

Here are a couple of links about this magnificent butterfly. Even though they mostly talk about the butterfly in Brisbane & QLD, it is named for the region we live in, here in Northern NSW.

Richmond Birdwing Butterfly No 1

Richmond Birdwing Butterfly No 2
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 29 May 2011, 5:07 am

Oh I so enjoyed reading that :good: Thank you Joy! it is a good way to learn things, because there are so many Butterflies 's, its where to start ??? and when someone leads you to something unusual like this it is great !! a good place to begin. Thanx Joy that was a great read! :thankyou:

Last edited by Dawn on Sun 29 May 2011, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 29 May 2011, 11:33 am

Thanks Dawn. :smile: It is good to learn new stuff, which is what we hope to achieve here. :good:

During the summer, & early autumn, it was great seeing all the butterflies fluttering around our place, investigating the plants & flowers on our patios. :cool3: Hope it will be the same next summer. :D

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:38 pm