OUR IMAGES

Crepe Myrtle starts.

default Crepe Myrtle starts.

Post by Guest on Fri 20 May 2011, 1:06 am

Most of the time I have no worries about the Crepe Myrtles starting their own off springs.
    But I have a couple of really nice pink ones and I would love to start them using the plastic wrap/sorghum moss/ soil, etc., and wonder if there is an easier way than that?

I have some nice healthy shoots growing from the bottom trunk of the tree, maybe about the width of my pinkie finger.

My method is so time consuming and the drawback is already we're getting into the 90'sF and extremely dry conditions.

Any suggestions? I root my Gardenia shoot clippings in water and they are from a "fork" branch, immature growth and they take maybe a couple of weeks. The Gardenia is altogether different in that there is bark on the tiny cutting branches. The Crepe Myrtle have green shoots or what I want to use is the shoot.

Thanks,
    Scots001
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Crepe Myrtle starts.

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Don't know about growing crepe myrtle cuttings, Scottie, nor of the method of growing cuttings you mentioned. Here is a link to my topic, though, about growing our hibiscus schizopetalus from cuttings. Hibiscus Cuttings This may give you some ideas as it was fairly simple &, more importantly, it worked. As they are grown in pots they are easily kept moist & away from excessive heat or sun, if necessary.

Did, first off, try rooting hibiscus cuttings in water but it proved unsatisfactory as the roots were very fragile & the cuttings did not survive potting. There was, also, so much fuss involved with this method. The other method was so much easier.

Best of luck with your endeavours in growing your cuttings.

PS 10 cms is 4ins & 2.5cm is an inch.

Post by Guest on Sun 22 May 2011, 1:06 pm

Yes Joy I had looked around the Hibs cuttings earlier and wished that the "shoots" I wanted to use were stronger and had bark as were the Hib plants you started.
    Unfortunately this is a "shoot" and I didn't say that earlier.

I may have to use the grafting method if I want to try to grow them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Sorry, Scottie, I don't know much about such things but here is a very useful link to advice on growing crepe myrtles from green shoots. It seems really easy, too.

Crepe Myrtle Shoots

The plants I have grown from cutting such as dracaenas & the hibiscus schizopetalus are fairly different to your crepe myrtle.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 May 2011, 2:57 pm

After thinking about this. Scottie, & how I, a rank amateur, have managed to get cuttings to grow without any previous expertise in this area, I now believe such things are never as complicated as the so-called "experts" can sometimes make them out to be. The advice given, in the link above, provides plain, simple advice on how to, easily, grow these shoots. It is, probably, how I would have tackled it. :lol:

Post by Guest on Mon 23 May 2011, 12:38 am

Thanks Joy as I like your methods.

I do wish I could take a pic of the stalk I want to graft... but no way to d/load to computer at this time.
    This is the method I use and so complicated especially when we wont be long till it reaches 100F and everything suffers..

http://www.essortment.com/tree-grafting-54159.html

but failing that I don't see how I can continue to let it grow as already it's almost 45 centimeters and by the time the cool weather gets here in November it will need sawed off.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 May 2011, 7:57 am

Gosh, that method is certainly far too complicated to even think about using, Scottie. The method used in this link - Crepe Myrtle Shoots Post - is definitely much easier. It is meant to be used for crepe myrtle shoots & mentions that this time of the year is a good time to do this. Also, being in a pot means you can place it in a cooler area during the heat & it is easy to water. There are potting mixes which have wetting agents &/or crystals & therefore need less watering.

Go for it & you will have some new crepe myrtles before you know it. :)

Post by Guest on Mon 23 May 2011, 8:38 am

OK that is what I am going to do and I used to do that with my roses I wanted to take clippings of and get started.

I wonder why I was so hesitant with the Crepe's?

After my doc visit tomorrow I'll get things in motion...

Thanks Joy... I need a push at times to get me going.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 May 2011, 9:04 am

Don't we all, Scottie. :lol2: I am, always, hesitant to try such things & am surprised, as well as thrilled, when they work. :cool4:

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:36 pm