OUR IMAGES

Glossy Hadeda's

Dawn

default Glossy Hadeda's

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:46 am

I wasn't too sure about putting these under "beautiful birds" :) as they are not beautiful at all but nice birds all the same. Joy please move them if they are in the wrong place, thanx.

I seem to remember posting some pics of the Hadedah's last autumn but I can't seem to find the thread. So I have just started this one. These Hadedah's moved away for a while and have now come back. They sit on the wall in the sun and torment the neighbours dogs and my two Staffies. They sit waiting for a gap of "no dogs in sight" to fly down and eat worms or grubs off the lawns. I would love to see Sylvester stalk them :lol2: . I think they would be a bit more than he could chew :) . When they came this day they did not make their usual raucous call, that sends my two dogs into a frenzy. I just happened to walk around the corner to move a hose pipe and I saw them sitting there, very unusual as they normally call as soon as they land. They look like the Glossy Ibis , last year the ones that visited were just the plain Hadada Ibis.

Last edited by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

default Re: Glossy Hadeda's

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:46 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:47 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:47 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:48 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 May 2011, 4:43 pm

How on earth did I miss this topic??? :sheesh: My apologies. Dawn. :sorry: Did not see it no matter how many times I cruised down the page.

Don't remember seeing these birds before, though there are the sacred ibises of Mykanos. Actually, I don't think these birds are unattractive & they would be a gardener's dream, with them eating some of the garden nasties. Their poop would be something else though. :blush2: :lol2:

Many thanks for being quick & agile enough to run & get your camera to take these great shots.

:speedy: :bike: :rocket:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 18 May 2011, 6:57 pm

no worries Joy ! :) I had forgotten it was even there.! I think I posted two things on this forum at the same time so that way it is easily passed by. I do it all the time.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the different Hadedas, I must tell DH about them I forgot clean about seeing them and telling him. I don't think he has seen these kind before? . I must tell him about your web cams, and get him to join up on here. He loves watching birds, he doesn't always have a lot of time, but when he does I am sure he would love it. . I make it sound like we are ships that pass in the night, but there is always so much going on here that some news get's lost in the dialogue :blush2:. But then it is less airtime for me too can't win can we!!! :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 May 2011, 8:57 pm

These ibises certainly have glossy wing feathers, don't they?? They are rather striking, really. :) More so than our sacred ibises, one of which came right on to our front patio, a couple of days ago, to check for bugs among the plants. I wasn't fast enough to get a shot of it, though. :O

It would be great to have your DH come on board, Dawn, but, of course, he would only be allowed to get on to the computer when you have finished looking & posting. :whistle: :lol2: Just as well Bruiser & I have a computer each. Well, Bruiser has several & I have one. :giggle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 19 May 2011, 8:48 pm

yes it does make them a little better looking hey :smile: . I like the Sacred Ibis's they to me are the posh relatives in the Ibis family :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 19 May 2011, 9:05 pm

Gosh, that is saying something, Dawn, as the poor old sacred ibis can look rather grotty at times, with their feathers less than sparkling white. :rofl: They must like the occasional mud bath. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 19 May 2011, 9:07 pm

But they are not big storky looking birds and they don't give that horrible raucas call that the hadeda ibis gives, which spoil's its reputation for me it all together :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 19 May 2011, 9:18 pm

That is true, Dawn. Cannot say I have ever heard a sacred ibis call, ever. They seem to be fairly quiet birds compared to others around here, especially those noisy.squawkers, the rainbow lorikeets. Don't think they can get a word in edgeways. :lol2:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 4:20 am