OUR IMAGES

"Lucky Bamboo" Cuttings!! ~ Dracaena Sanderiana

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default "Lucky Bamboo" Cuttings!! ~ Dracaena Sanderiana

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Recently, when I pruned our dracaena sanderiana AKA "Lucky Bamboo", I was rather hopeful, but not certain, that the pruned stems might grow roots & be able to be potted. To give them a decent chance at doing this, I dipped each stem end into rooting hormone before placing them all into a vase with rainwater in it. The reason for pruning the plants was that some of the stems were long, spindly & unable to support themselves . Others were short &, equally, spindly. In the middle on all this spindliness, there were new shoots & stems which were thicker, some of which had grown from the roots, others had grown out from the original pieces of stem, just like the spindly stems These were all able to stand without support.

The pruned stems were placed in an out-of-the-way corner, with plenty of light, &, ahem, forgotten about. Well, not entirely, as we walked past them every time we went in or out the large sliding glass door which is also our front door. Did check that they still had enough water. :blush: Then yesterday, I decided to have a good look at them. Lo & behold!! Every stem had strong root growth. Some even had two layers of roots!! They had taken less than three weeks to grow a good rooting system. There was a piece of stem cut off a long stem which has not only grown roots but is also sending out new shoots where I had cut off the old leaves. It will be interesting to see what it does.

Here is an image of what our trimmed dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo", looked like after its prune, now with its sturdier stems . The second image is of the spindly cuttings.

Last edited by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: "Lucky Bamboo" Cuttings!! ~ Dracaena Sanderiana

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:11 pm

Here are the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings (or prunings) now with the strong roots growing.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:14 pm

The milky substance in the water is the rooting hormone powder. Think if I do this again, I shall just stir some of the powder into the water. Oh, yes, the reason I have used rainwater is because dracaena sanderianas are sensitive to treated tap water.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:15 pm

Another angle.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:16 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" "stick" which is growing shoots as well as roots.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 08 May 2011, 5:21 pm

As they are now. Think I shall plant them all together in the one container. They will be going into potting mix even though they can be grown for quite some time in water. Dracaena sanderianas are, after all, a terrestrial plant, not an aquatic plant. :)

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 2:23 pm

The roots of the dracaena sanderiana or "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings are growing so quickly now. I am really going to have to pot them very soon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 May 2011, 11:20 am

Potted the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings yesterday. :D They were definitely ready for some dirt.

Didn't have any regular potting mix available so I used the seed & cuttings mix. This is intended for germinating seeds & establishing cutting growth, not for plants, as such. From what I read on the bag, the only reason this mix is not recommended for use as a normal potting mix is because it is low in the nitrogen material which helps to fertilise the plants. It meets all other criteria & has a wetting agent in it. As the dracaena sanderiana doesn't need much fertilising I felt this would not be much of a problem & is why I happily used it. They were in desperate need of potting Was afraid, if we waited for our regular shopping trip to buy some potting mix, we might not be able to get them out of the vase, as the roots were growing that fast.

Here it is in its new home. "The Stick" has not been potted yet as it does not have many roots & we shall give it a home of its own.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 May 2011, 4:07 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings in their permanent position. They should do ok there, as they will get decent indirect light coming in through our front door.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings seem to be growing, thank goodness. Hopefully, this means they have started to establish themselves & will continue to shoot upwards. Not so worried about this as I now know they can be pruned easily. Wonder if they will grow new shoots from their roots, too??

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:38 am

Thank you Joy, that was very interesting I enjoyed reading this and seeing the images :) . Yes I agree nice strong roots! I love the pot it has too :yes: looks like a blue marble. :)

P.S. I love your glass bowl on the counter also with all the coloured swirls in it :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

Thanks, Dawn. :thanks: I am very pleased at how this little experiment has turned out. The stronger new stems of the main dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" plants are also growing well & they look so much better with the spindly, older stems chopped off. The skinny stems will make an interesting planting, I think &, hopefully, new shoots will sprout from their root system. So, if the skinny stems get too tall & spindly, I now know I can prune them without any problems & keep on growing them. :excited: :happy: Their pot is the same as the ones I have used for the orchids. It was too large to use for the orchids so it came in handy for the "Lucky Bamboo" stems.

The coloured glass "bowl" is decades old & is a, actually, an ashtray. :blush2: It is relic of the times when giving ashtrays, as a gift, was considered "proper". I believe such coloured glassware is, now, a collectors' item. The mere fact that your connoisseur's eye, for such things, noticed it, is a real plus. :cool3: It is really heavy & I cannot believe it has survived, in good condition, for so many years, despite not being shut away in a cupboard. :wow:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

The dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings have grown very well & only one of them is flopping about. It was the skinniest one & could be cut off, perhaps shortened & replanted, if, or when, I feel like doing that.

Today, I was surprised to see some new shoots growing from the roots of theses cuttings. There are four of them. The fourth is the tiny one down on the lower right & is sprouting from the floppy cutting's roots. It is the tiny shoot down on the lower right, in both pics.

Have just noticed there is also a shoot growing from the middle stem at the back in the first pic. It is all happening here!!! :bravo:

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:41 pm