OUR IMAGES

A Mandevilla Seed Growing Adventure

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default A Mandevilla Seed Growing Adventure

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:26 pm

Our "Aloha Bright Pink" mandevilla has produced three seedpods this season. It was the mandevilla which received the most sun & was more readily available to the pollinating insects. Even saw a blossom bat hiding on our back patio early one morning so it may have also been a pollinator.

They are strange looking seedpods which are skinny & pronged. They change colours from green to maroon to brown.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: A Mandevilla Seed Growing Adventure

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:26 pm

They grow in joined pairs.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:28 pm

The seedpod on the right is the one which has now opened.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:31 pm

The mandevilla seedpods started showing some fluff so I decided to bag them with small plastic bags so they would not be able to disperse their seeds to the winds (& to the neighbourhood :whistle:).

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:36 pm

This morning I noticed a thin strip hanging from one of the prongs on the first seedpod to grow, Thought I should cut it off the plant & remove the seeds. That is if there still some there as it seemed to be empty. The thin strip was a tear strip which unzipped the pod & there was a very thin opening along the side of the pod. Inside were crammed all these seeds, each with its little parachute to aid wind dispersal. Removed these & then did the same with the other prong.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:40 pm

Sent Nelbel at least half of these mandevilla seeds, this afternoon by post, as there are far too many for me & she has plenty of places to grow them, if they germinate. We, also, have another two seedpods to go. :O

This image shows the tiny parachutes attached to the seeds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:48 pm

The info I saw on the web said not to bury the seeds but to lay them on the potting or seed-raising mix & just sprinkle some mix over the top. That makes sense. Someone else suggested they be soaked in water for twelve hours. How they came up with that time frame I do not know. Nature doesn't soak them in water, unless it is raining, so I don't think I'll bother. It was also recommended they be sown straight away but I shall have to wait, until next week, as I do not have a seedling tray. Hope the seeds do not mind. :apgn:

Here are the empty seedpods with their tear strips. :cool4:

default Mandevilla seedpods

Post by Guest on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

I find this so interesting as I have 3 Mandevilla, red,white & pink. .I have not had seedpods on mine but admit I have not looked for them .The seed pods remind me of the Adenium [desert rose] seedpods also Plumeria [frangipani] seedpods. I have grown Adenium plants from seed and they are flowering at 1 year from germination , but that is another subject.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:08 am

Our "Aloha Bright Pink" mandevilla had three of the double seedpods, Pixie. The other three of them did not as they were further back on the patio & were, probably, missed by the pollinators. There was a great deal of interest shown in these plants, over this summer & autumn, by the common crow butterfly (awful name for a beautiful butterfly) which does, apparently, like mandevillas. These seedpods are easily spotted as they project out from the plant & are quite large.

Haven't, as yet, planted these seeds. Neither has Nelbel (my daughter). :blush2:

We have a beautiful adenium obesum plant, too. It has flowered well, even after having a near-death experience, but no seedpods. There is a couple of topics about this plant in Flowering Plants In Pots.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:35 am