OUR IMAGES

Eucharis Grandiflora

Dawn

default Eucharis Grandiflora

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:20 am

I have had several bulbs of Eucharis Grandiflora over the years. It goes by the the name Madonna Lily or Amazon Lily too.

They are very temperamental and sensitive to temperature, so I lose them every now and again. These have shown signs of a fungus they get and I am going to have to move them off the floor as I have had to spray them several times in the last few weeks, it is just one more thing to do !. They do well in the out side room as the temperature in there stays nice and warm even in winter. I was not sure whether to start a thread on them or not but one has started to throw out buds so at least the flowers will be worth the posts even if I have no success with them long term. They are the most delightful flowers, they look like a simple white daffodil but they are more than that in reality they are larger by far and the white petals carry a shimmer to them that is hard to capture on a photograph.

Dawn

default Re: Eucharis Grandiflora

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:20 am

A bud

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:22 am

The other image of the second bud came out blurry, but you can see the two buds here. It looks like there will be two heads to the tops of the stalk
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is a link to give you a preview of what the flowers will look like ! :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 6:57 am

The buds have opened and a few of the blooms have already died off. There is only one plant flowering at the moment, and no sign of any flower shoots on the other two plants. If they do flower that will be good as the flowers only last about a week. These photos are of the first plant to flower! :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 6:59 am

I forgot to mention there are two flower stems, one had five heads and the other three.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 6:59 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:03 am

:) it was hard to get a photo of the face of the flower as they hang there heads. So I had to put them on something high! which proved to give too much white and the IAF light kept coming on and of course the camera would not focus! all in all they did not turn out too badly :)

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 May 2011, 10:39 am

The Eucharis Grandiflora is certainly an amazing plant, Dawn, which is most worthy of its own topic. :smile:

Cannot believe just how much the flowers do look like daffodils. Love the way they stand tall, clear of the foliage. They are really beautiful. :love: It does seem as though these plants are worth all the extra attention you have given them, Dawn. The leaves are very similar to the spathiphyllum plants, aren't they? It is a shame their flowering cycle is relatively short-lived but they do have lovely foliage as well, which is a bonus. :cool3: It does seem to be a worthwhile addition for a shaded area such as we have on our back & front patios. Shame we do not have any room on either of them. :giggle:

Thank you for posting about this great plant & for the link. Your pics are great, by the way. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 6:30 pm

:smile: Thanks Joy!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:11 am

The flowers have all gone now and no buds on the other two yet ? I shall have to wait ! that is if they flower at all ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 7:53 am

It would be great if they did flower in stages, Dawn. :cool3: As it is a shame the flowers don't last long. Will keep my fingers crossed that the others will flower - eventually. :luck: :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:11 pm

Thks Joy! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:50 pm

:cool3:

Sponsored content