As Promised

Glad E Olah

default Re: As Promised

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:20 pm

Pole beans and a few pepper plants.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:22 pm

I can't get over the changes so quick looks great Glad thanks so much for posting them :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:24 pm

Tomatoes. The section to the left is asparagus and to the right that section has not been finished yet.

We planted the sweet potatoes earlier in week in half of a section. More mulch is need. Getting that picture next.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:27 pm

Oh wow, everything is looking fantastic, Glad. You have made a wonderful garden & it is so productive. Congratulations!!

Many thanks for posting these pics.

(Um, weeds??? What weeds?? :D )
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:28 pm

You are welcome Joy and Bruiser. One more to go.

This is a close up of the sweet potatoes. Not all of the section is showing and the green at the bottom is going to be removed (weeds). We ran out of mulch and have more from a smaller tree. I wanted to get the potatoes in the ground so there is time to get the rest of the section mulched yet. The sweet potatoes will vine out.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:34 pm

I see the weeds and boy do they need to be gone.

A different view of the tomatoes. Behind is the asparagus. On the left corner nothing but weeds....I plan to plant dill seed there next week.

The patch of grass see on the path did not germinate well. More seed will be added.

I will try to get son to take an overall picture tomorrow. He was getting close ups today.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:35 pm

Mmmmmmm, I love sweet potatoes, Glad. Yes, their leaves will quickly cover that area. Cannot believe just how much you have been able to plant as well as the wide variety of veggies you have. Wonderful. Blackberry pie will be a real treat, too. :)

Thanks again for all these images of your terrific garden. Thank your son for them, Glad, they are much appreciated.

Still don't notice any weeds. :lol:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:42 pm

Still lots more to do in the garden but we must remember this is the first year for much of it.

While I was out in the garden picking today and neighbor behind me stopped. He raises horses and he said he has horse manure that is powder. Been sitting for two years. He is bringing it to me for he does not have time for a garden. I am thankful for the garden needs it. The mulch will help when he deteriorates too. It sat over the winter and son applied it thick. We will have dirt hauled in this fall when garden is done.

Next year will be a good one. I honestly think if we had not had a lot of rain the garden would be nothing this year. I am looking forward to the tomatoes.

I haven't placed any pictures at shout. I will copy them to there so they can see them also. But not tonight. Too tired.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:45 pm

I forgot to mention beets. They are in one of the pictures near the lettuce.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:51 pm

Talk about serendipity, Glad. That horse manure will be great for your garden. Your soil will be in great condition with all the work you & your son have put into it. All that rain would have given your seeds a really excellent start. There will be a bumper crop.

Love beets too.

default As promised

Post by Guest on Fri 27 May 2011, 5:40 pm

What a terrific set of pic Glad, you and your son are to be congratulated on what has been done in such a short time. You must have a brilliant climate there cos the growth is amazing. We had a frost 2 nights ago and had to cover the more tender plants.

Re weeds, shows how fertile your soil is, we all have them.

I grow some of my crops through black pourus weed suppresant fabric, especially long term stuff like brassicas,
    not the most visually pretty ,but hey it does the job.

If that horse manure is that well rotted grab it.

Will sort some pics out , but may need help in sorting out how to post them, as Bruiser knows computers aren't my speciality.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 27 May 2011, 8:13 pm

I enjoyed seeing your garden Glad, what can I say I am green with envy :), at the lovely space you have to plant all these wonderful veg!!. I can bet you are looking forward to those tomatoes :yum: I am still trying to get hold of green tomatoes to try out your fried green tomatoes. :photos: Thanks for putting up the photos it was great seeing them. Isn't it great when your hard work comes to fruition :coolsign:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 28 May 2011, 12:03 am

Thanks BigBilly21 and Dawn.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 29 May 2011, 2:11 pm

Worked hard today cleaning out some of the weeds. Planted the dill seed, a couple more hills of squash, some later cucumbers and a few more radishes. May be too late for the radishes but had the leftover seed.

I am getting too old for garden work.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 29 May 2011, 2:37 pm

My, Glad, you have worked hard in the garden & achieved much. No wonder you feel tired. :D Age has nothing to do with it. :no:

Is the dill for dill pickles??
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 30 May 2011, 2:33 pm

I get discouraged Joy when I can't do the things I once did.

Didn't do much in the garden today (Sunday) for I went to church twice.

I did water the spot where the seed was planted and the smaller plants. It will become the dry season soon and watering will have to be done.

Oh the dill is for dill pickles yes but I may not get a crop the first year. It will seed itself and I will not have to plant again unless something happens. I had dill many years ago but guess it went away. There was a period of time we did not grow a garden and I missed it so much we started back again. Then in 1998 hubby had a terrible accident and could not garden. Sons tilled for me and I had a small patch. After hubby learned to walk again we had a bigger spot but he was not able to till much. We bought a real small tiller that was easier for him to use. Not sure why I am sharing all this just memories I guess. Tuesday the 31st would have been our anniversary of 47 years. I thought of him a lot yesterday when I was weeding. Not sure if it was the time of the year or the remark he made to me the day before he got sick. He had finished mowing with the rider then hoed the garden. We had planted turnips (one of his favorites) and they were just coming through the ground. He looked at me and said: "I will not have a weedy garden." Maybe that is why I thought of him so much yesterday when I was weeding.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 30 May 2011, 3:02 pm

You are more than welcome to share your feelings with us, Glad. I can quite understand your memories flooding back, especially doing something like weeding which doesn't need much concentration. It is times like that when such memories, good & sad, do occupy your mind. This even more likely to happen when an important anniversary or holiday comes around.

Fresh dill, or anything for that matter, must taste so much better than dried or store-bought. Dill pickles made with cucumbers & dill from your own garden will taste so good. :D

Sometimes I think there is no way I can do such & such, & I, usually cannot which does annoy me. Then there are other times when I do stuff, such as repotting plants & carry on till it is all done, surprising myself, but I do feel it in my back & muscles later. :aargh:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 31 May 2011, 2:28 pm

Thank you for the nice comment Joy.

My daughter, grandson and I (the granddaughters are spending a couple of days with their dad and his parents) went to cementary to place new flowers and flag on grandpa's grave. Then we went out to eat Chinese food and I must say the food was not as good as I thought it should be. It could be my taste buds do not require that type food anymore for this was the first time I had gone since I have been on shots for diabetes. Some foods just aren't enjoyable anymore and perhaps that is a good thing. Later we went to another cementary (the one grandson's dad is) and made sure his flowers were ok.

After those things I came home and worked in the garden. I fed the plants their miracle grow and then watered the garden good. It should be ok now for a while. I noticed there are tiny snow peas now so possibly in a week to ten days I may have the first picking. I am excited for I have never been able to grow peas. The fence must be the trick in growing them. They are almost as tall as the cross portion of that clothes line pole. Never thought they would climb that high!

Still have not taken that picture of the garden at a distance. I must do so soon for the potatoes are showing signs of falling over. When that takes place it won't be too many weeks til digging time. It is possible to dig them in another four weeks or so. There are potatoes under there for I saw one peeking out from the mulch. I covered him so the sun would not turn it green. It was the size of a golf ball. Hoping for good size potatoes.

default As promised

Post by Guest on Tue 31 May 2011, 3:53 pm

Our thoughts are with you today Glad.

We are both over 75 Glad, so tiredness comes into our gardening as well, what we do is have a rest and a cup of tea, sitting at one of our rest areas, admiring what we just did and telling ourselves, hey !!! thats not bad for a couple of old uns, also always remembering there's a lot of folks a lot worse off than us.

At the moment we have growing about 30 different sorts of fruit and veggies.

RE potatoes, i only grow the early varieties to eat as "new " so as soon as they are as big as a golf ball or earlier we start eating them, thats when they are most expensive to buy. don't grow maincrop at all as we have a real problem with slugs.

Peas, We just grow the sugar snap and mange tout and grow them up old sheep electric fencing that someone threw away. Yours are ahead of us as ours are just comming in flower so well done.

Runner or pole beans, I have two permanent places and grow them up some square mesh metal, the sort they use for reinforcing concrete, got that off a builders skip when it was thrown away.

One of the probs we have here are the very large Beech trees on our south east side so we have quite a lot of shade till after midday, but still love the trees.

Keep the pics coming, look forward to seeing the progress of your garden.
    Am taking some of mine too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 31 May 2011, 4:55 pm

Gosh BigBilly21 30 different fruit and vegetables :O :clap: that deserves an applause. and another one :clap:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 31 May 2011, 4:59 pm

Glad your vegetable garden is coming along so well! One minute there was just dirt and in a twinkle so it seems there is a full blown vegetable garden :clap: :cool4: Thank you for all the great photos too, as you can see we all love them :photos: .
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

Thank you for your nice comment Dawn. I wish it were in a twinkle. Lots of work.

I did more mulch today. Mulch is about done until we can have more hauled in.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Our thoughts are with you today Glad.

We are both over 75 Glad, so tiredness comes into our gardening as well, what we do is have a rest and a cup of tea, sitting at one of our rest areas, admiring what we just did and telling ourselves, hey !!! thats not bad for a couple of old uns, also always remembering there's a lot of folks a lot worse off than us.

At the moment we have growing about 30 different sorts of fruit and veggies.

RE potatoes, i only grow the early varieties to eat as "new " so as soon as they are as big as a golf ball or earlier we start eating them, thats when they are most expensive to buy. don't grow maincrop at all as we have a real problem with slugs.

Peas, We just grow the sugar snap and mange tout and grow them up old sheep electric fencing that someone threw away. Yours are ahead of us as ours are just comming in flower so well done.

Runner or pole beans, I have two permanent places and grow them up some square mesh metal, the sort they use for reinforcing concrete, got that off a builders skip when it was thrown away.

One of the probs we have here are the very large Beech trees on our south east side so we have quite a lot of shade till after midday, but still love the trees.

Keep the pics coming, look forward to seeing the progress of your garden.
    Am taking some of mine too.

Thank you so much BigBilly21. I will keep the pics coming for everyone.

I am like you and your wife. I like to sit back and look at what has been accomplished and see how fast the plants grow.

Today I mulched around the cucumbers, squash and okra.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Everything is growing so well in your veggie garden, Glad. I can imagine eating those snow peas straight off the vine. That would be so scrumptious. So would fresh cucumbers. In fact, it all will. :D

So happy for you that your Memorial Day observances went well. Have never realised that having insulin injections would affect your taste sensations. That would be a real drag, not being able to fully enjoy all the foods you are still able to eat.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

Took a few more pictures today. Will try to send a post either tomorrow or the next day. My hours seem to be occupied for some reason.

I picked enough peas to cook a meal. Not a lot yet but enough to give us a taste. And we may just eat them raw

I had to powder the garden some today. Seems when the heat gets out so do the bugs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm