OUR IMAGES

As Promised

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: As Promised

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Apr 2011, 2:02 pm

Is that the large stump showing in a couple of the pics, Glad?? That certainly was a big tree. If so, it would have made plenty of mulch. :D Have noticed that all trees here are mulched now, on site, if they are being removed, trimmed or have fallen down. Even the larger limbs which drop off (which many Aussie natives, especially eucalypts, do) become mulch. Great idea.

It is a good idea to replant quick growing veggies such as radishes, especially for summer salads. Would hot weather make radishes even hotter?? :giggle: :whistle:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

That is one enormous project to tackle and how fantastic when completed and home grown veggies..

I'm a July born homebody too...
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 May 2011, 2:27 pm

Joy wrote:Is that the large stump showing in a couple of the pics, Glad?? That certainly was a big tree. If so, it would have made plenty of mulch. Have noticed that all trees here are mulched now, on site, if they are being removed, trimmed or have fallen down. Even the larger limbs which drop off (which many Aussie natives, especially eucalypts, do) become mulch. Great idea.

It is a good idea to replant quick growing veggies such as radishes, especially for summer salads. Would hot weather make radishes even hotter??

Yes the big stump you see is where the mulch came from. If you look closely at one of the last pictures you can see a green ball looking thing. That is my compost thing. Beside it, to the left, is the big pile of mulch. We have used about half so far.

Never thought about hot weather making the radishes hotter but would make sense.

I planted radishes and beets Friday. Also zucchini and yellow squash. It rained again last night and today. Heavy...so don't know if the seeds washed or not. I planted them on mounds of dirt so hopefully they will be ok. Time will tell.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 May 2011, 2:29 pm

Scots001 wrote:That is one enormous project to tackle and how fantastic when completed and home grown veggies..

I'm a July born homebody too...

The project is not 100% complete yet. All the blocks are laid but several spots still need dirt. Been too wet the last 10 days for son to work.

Nice to meet another July born member.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 May 2011, 3:32 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:

Yes the big stump you see is where the mulch came from. If you look closely at one of the last pictures you can see a green ball looking thing. That is my compost thing. Beside it, to the left, is the big pile of mulch. We have used about half so far.

Never thought about hot weather making the radishes hotter but would make sense.

I planted radishes and beets Friday. Also zucchini and yellow squash. It rained again last night and today. Heavy...so don't know if the seeds washed or not. I planted them on mounds of dirt so hopefully they will be ok. Time will tell.

We did notice the green ball, Glad. Thought it might have been a BBQ (grill) along the lines of a Weber. :blush: :lol: It will certainly come in handy for composting your garden. That is, definitely, a huge pile of mulch. It is great to see a dead tree being put to such good use.

You certainly have been busy in your garden but it is a shame about all that rain. Do hope the seeds weren't washed away, though, if they did, you may have some veggies growing in strange places. :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 02 May 2011, 3:49 pm

Yeah may have the in the wholes that are filled with dirt yet. (the holes of the blocks that is)

So you though that was a weber bbq grill? Interesting.

The ball is turned by hand every few days. About time to unload it again. Son is going to build me a compost bin out of wire soon. One that will be turned with a pitch fork. Grass clippings will be added to this along with veggie scraps. Also huge amounts of leaves in the fall. We will keep the green ball for things such as coffee grounds, egg shells and leaves only. Light weight material. Veggie scraps tend to become heavy before they deteriorate therefore making it difficult to turn the ball.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Coffee grounds are supposed to make a very good fertiliser, or so I've heard. Even coffee slops as well. Good to hear you are composting nearly everything. The second compost heap will be a great idea. Your garden is going to be well fed. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 03 May 2011, 12:51 pm

I have a plastic ice cream pail (gallon size) under my kitchen sink and save the used coffee grounds. When the container is full I scope a few scoops and place them around each tomato plant. Will do the same with pepper plants as I get enough coffee grounds. I have about 16 more tomato plants to go yet. Been doing this since the tomato plants have been planted. Other wise saving the grounds for a longer period of time would have caused them to mold. Over the winter they have been going to the composter.

Guess what?

You got it!

Rained again today.

Suppose to clear off tomorrow afternoon.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 3:08 pm

Not more rain, Glad!?!?!? :aargh: You'll be needing waders at this rate. :wow:

Good idea saving the coffee grounds for your tomatoes, etc. Have read that they are good for carrots, melons as well as other fruits & vegetables. Composting them was also highly recommended, especially to solve the possibility of mould . Seems like a win win situation. We don't drink coffee made from grounds. Bruiser will only drink instant coffee (Nescafe Blend 43 only :whistle:) & I only drink water. :lol: Once I made up a mixture of water & instant coffee to use on some potted plants but I don't remember which one. May have been the calathea zebrina but that one has since been tossed out due to being too temperamental. :whack!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 May 2011, 4:02 am

Pics won't open for me so I can't comment fully, not your photos or my PC at fault as this has been sorted out and is super fast and efficient now. I think it is our national server. I have just managed to see Joy's new photo in the BWI thread, so this is a complete mystery to me!. I am not here to complain about it :smile:, just thought I would stop by and wish you happy gardening Glad ! I look forward to seeing them another time :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 05 May 2011, 10:08 am

Thanks Dawn. Sorry the pictures won't open. Perhaps because I posted them from my computer and not a photosite?

We had two days of sunshine now but I have had to work. Hope to work in the garden in a few days.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 05 May 2011, 10:16 am

Your images open just fine for Bruiser & myself, Glad, so posting from your computer isn't the problem. Dawn does have this type of problem with images occasionally, but it seems to come right eventually. :)

Isn't always the way?? When the weather is finally good something comes along to stop us from doing what we would like to do in the sun. :giggle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 05 May 2011, 5:15 pm

yes definitely something that happens my end
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 24 May 2011, 8:17 am

If it is sunny tomorrow I will take new pictures of the garden. It is very green now with our rain. Two sections are still being worked on. One being finished enough to plant sweet potato slits. The rest of the dirt will be added soon before the sweet potatoes vine out.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 May 2011, 9:37 am

Thanks Glad. Looking forward to seeing how your veggie garden is progressing. All the rain you have had should have helped your veggies get well established, I'd imagine.

default as promised

Post by Guest on Thu 26 May 2011, 4:44 pm

Really interesting to see a project starting from scratch especially one that is of particular interest to me as a bed grower of veggies.
    Your son has certainly been moving some weight around. Good luck with it.
    Ray aka BIGBILLY21
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 26 May 2011, 6:28 pm

Welcome to A Patio garden Ray aka BigBilly21! greetings from Cape Town !
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 26 May 2011, 6:29 pm

I look forward to seeing them too Glad :cool4:

default As promised

Post by Guest on Thu 26 May 2011, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dawn.
    Loved you pic's on your visit to uk, you were not far away from me,I live between Cheltenham and Cirencester.
    Ray
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 26 May 2011, 7:56 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Thanks for the welcome Dawn.
    Loved you pic's on your visit to uk, you were not far away from me,I live between Cheltenham and Cirencester.
    Ray

Gald you liked the photos :cool3: It is a lovely area so not hard to take great photos. I know 'sort of' know the area after having visited on numerous occasions. As I have a friend who lives around about there. It is a lovely part of Britain.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 May 2011, 1:54 pm

Welcome to A Patio Garden, Ray AKA BIGBILLY21. We look forward to reading about & seeing pics of your garden. :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 2:57 pm

Welcome BigBilly21 and thank you for your comments.

I am ready to post pictures if I can figure out if I saved them.

Checking now.

Under bird feeders are potatoes, the section below them are lima beans which half did not come up and will need to replant next week, also onions. We have already consumed a lot of the onions.

The next section over will be a circle of winter onions. There is one variety of tomatoes alone the pole. Another picture later. Pole beans below the onions.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:05 pm

Bottom right corner of this section is a small hill of squash. Then spinach, and two varieties of lettuce. I was picking the spinach in one of the red containers today. Behind them empty container is radishes and more spinach.. Then in the lower left of picture are more potatoes and 2 more hills of squash.

Top part of picture and section over will be the snow peas. If you look close enough you can see the white blooms. They are almost as tall as the pole. To the left and next section are more potatoes. The the composter section with black buckets are the newly transplanted blueberries. They will be permanent in the black buckets with bottoms cut out. See the composter? Below the composter are the blackberries that were moved last fall. They are blooming now.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:12 pm

A closer view of the lettuce and spinach and radishes. Please ignore the weeds.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 27 May 2011, 3:16 pm

I am trying to get some of the snow peas to go to their fencing.

In the front is a short row of potatoes that were sprouting in the kitchen so I planted them. To the right of the picture are more potatoes and a short row of cucumbers at the fence.

Behind me in the green grassy area in a picture a couple of months ago was all dirt. Son is proud of the grass. You can barely see the edge of the gazebo in the picture.

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:21 am