OUR IMAGES

As Promised

Glad E Olah

default Re: As Promised

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

Thanks BBilly.

I use Miracle Grow several times during early growth. I have not used it yet on the new seed. We are getting rain now so in the next day or so I will use the miracle grow. Also Epsom Salts is good for garden soil. Says so on the package. I did not believe it until I read it. Good for tomatoes especially.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Epsom salts is very good for plants, especially if there is some yellowing &/or chloriosis of the leaves, particularly for our roses, mandevillas, hibiscus & adenium obesum. It does restore the green & you do not need to use it very often. Since I have been using my current plant fertiliser, though, I've not needed to use the Epsom salts at all.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:42 am

Thanks Joy. I did not know it would help with the leaves turning yellow. I will remember that next year.

Do you make up a solution or do you put the dry granules in the ground by the plants? I usually put a tablespoon dry near the plant then soak the spot with water.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

I dissolve it in water in a watering can, Glad. The measurement is 10mls (2 teaspoonsful) of Epsom salts to a litre of water, which is about a quarter of a US gallon. So for a gallon of water you would use 8 tsps of the Epsom salts. It doesn't matter if they are slightly heaped teaspoonsful.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

Thanks! Will do that for the new plantings.

Post by Guest on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info Re the miracle grow and the Epson salts Glad & Joy. Tried to get the Epsom salts when you mentioned it before Joy re the fuchsia cuttings being yellow ,but couldn't get it locally. So have some on the way from Amazon.

The feed i use on my tomatoes and cucumbers is a home made one, Sheeps daggings in a sack soaking in a tub of water, give it a shake every now and again, then dilute the resultant liquid in water so it looks like weak tea. Feed twice a week, seems to work ok.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

That amazes me about you not being able to get Epsom salts locally, BigBilly!! Ours was bought at our favourite gardening dept in our local branch of a major variety chain store. Quite cheap it was, too. Has lasted me for ages. Love your homemade fertiliser. It would work really well.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm

BBilly have you tried your local pharmacy?

I too like your homemade feed.

Post by Guest on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

Glad E olar I have just watched all your post re the vegetable garden .What a lot of dedication has gone into its creation.
    The results speak for themselves Congratulations all round.I know the crops will taste wonderful.I also use Epsom Salts and get great results I use it as a foliar spray ..... :bravo: :goodone: :wave2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

Thank you Pixie.

Garden is about done. Still getting okra until frost. (which may not be far away)

We are eating turnip green tops and that is the only fall portion of the garden that has done anything. I think it has been too hot until the past week for new seeds.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

And too try also. We really need rain.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

That is a shame, Glad. Hope you will get some rain soon, but, sometimes, we have to be careful what we wish for, don't we?? :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Right Joy. We got a little rain this afternoon while I was at work. Enough I did not have to water this evening.

The new spinach came up great and the lettuce is trying. We might have some. What will be will be.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Sounds as though that was some good rain, Glad. Not enough to flood but enough to water your plants. :D

Very pleased for you that the spinach is doing so well. That is another veggie which will freeze well. Also, the more you harvest the more it grows, which makes it such a worthwhile plant in the veggie patch. Come on lettuce, you can do it!! Grow, grow, grow. :lol!:

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Glad E Olah wrote:Right Joy. We got a little rain this afternoon while I was at work. Enough I did not have to water this evening.

The new spinach came up great and the lettuce is trying. We might have some. What will be will be.

Good work with the spinach and lettuce Glad.

We are still getting a lot of stuff from the veggie garden. Daughter came up this morning and went away with enough for the week.

Having some really nice sweet corn at the moment.

Post by Guest on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

Sweet corn YUMMO Its my favourite vegetable .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:53 am

Me, too, Glad. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

Hmmmm. Forecast is for a possible inch of rain tomorrow in my area.

Then the biggy. Temps may not reach the mid 60's by Thursday (today is Tuesday night). So.......frost is not far away.

I am taking each day one at a time. I took a chance on the fall garden knowing full well a possible frost before the end of September. It was fun planting and watching it grow. I will try to cover the spinach and lettuce if they call for a frost. I purposely planted it where it would be easy to place either news papers or plastic over them. The rest mother nature will take over.

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

Good luck with the frost Glad. Keeping fingers crossed here too as the latest lettuce are almost pickable, but have great doubts about the pole beans as they are only about 18 inches high, but like you i knew it was a gamble. Hope to get a few more spring cabbage plants in today.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Do so hope both of you will be able to avoid frosts for a while yet, so that your gardens will continue to produce more wonderful veggies. All the very best for more scrumptious stuff, Glad & BigBilly. :smile:

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 5:42 pm

Luckily frost are something we don't ever have to consider here in the tropics .... :rooster:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

Nor do we, way down here in the subtropics, Pixie. :lol!:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm

Pixie and Joy are lucky!

So far no rain has fallen today. The sky looks like it will though.

I noticed watering the sweet potato vines yesterday that a few are coming up through the ground. I bent down to look and there are some big sweet potatoes.

BBilly do you think the rain will hurt the sweet potatoes under the ground? The vines are still green yet but leaves are dying back some now.

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

Have never grown sweet potatoes Glad, so don't know much about them. Wouldn't think rain would hurt them.

Do you store them or eat straight out of the ground ? Would have thought that if they are big enough you could start eating them, When they are nice and tender. Sorry not to be more helpfull.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 9:02 am

No problem BBilly.

I did dig a couple clumps today before the rain came. I was rather disappointed. Huge potatoes but something (maybe a mole) had eaten on them. I brought them in and cut the end off and washed them good. Then I microwaved them just to loosen their skins. Then I fried them in junks in canola oil. They are very delicious!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 9:50 pm