OUR IMAGES

My Front Yard

Glad E Olah

default My Front Yard

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 10:26 am

My front yard has also been designed by my son and almost to completion. I haven't considered it a garden but more of a landscaping issue. I do have pictures but they are not yet re-downloaded on the Vista. I will try to pull them up the next time I log in to the WindowsXP.
    Dawn

default Re: My Front Yard

Post by Dawn on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 6:51 pm

Looking forward to seeing them Glad :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 2:58 pm

A garden is a garden, Glad, whether it is thought of as landscaping or a number of fancy flowerbeds. They are all a delight & we are, most definitely, looking forward to seeing yours progress. :)
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

I am sad to say that the flowers took a back seat this year since I have been so busy with the veggies. Next year I won't have to work so hard with the mulch. Plan to mulch around the plants and hopefully no need for the garden itself.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

It is so true that one can only do so much & we do have to get our priorities right, Glad. Getting the veggie garden established would have been your main garden priority this year. The front yard landscaping can be something to plan, over winter, for next year. :D
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:24 am

The landscaping is about done but there was no time for planting flowers. Yes next year will be here before you know it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

You are so right, Glad. It is a shock to realise we are already halfway through 2011!!
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Joy wrote:You are so right, Glad. It is a shock to realise we are already halfway through 2011!!

Don't remind me Joy. I have a big b'day next month. Officially a golden girl at 65.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

Shall have to make a start on the big b'day banner then, Glad. :lol2:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 1:40 am

Views of my front yard. Still lots of work to be done and ignore those weeds!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:24 am

I love it Glad :apgch: :apgch: and I really don't see any weeds :lol2: they may be there, but I dont see them :) just green, green and green again. Wondeful must have been all the rain you had ! are the tall flowers pink and white in the photo's hollyhocks? I like the sectioned pieces with the night lights! great landscaping job! :cheers: Thanks for the photos they are :coolsign:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:59 am

Thanks Dawn. Yes the white and pink are hollyhocks and actually are volunteer. They were not planned for the section. I would like to plant them along the fence row to try to hide the neighbor's tacky fence (we won't discuss it for now....touchy subject and long story....)

My one son weeded this afternoon with the weedeater. I should have taken the picture today.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

That certainly is a great front yard space you have there, Glad. All those various sized garden spaces look very interesting & will give you a great deal of scope when you are able to start planning your ornamental gardens. Thought they were hollyhocks, too. These are not seen in gardens where we live. It is a shame as they are very attractive. They would make a pretty screen to hide THAT fence. As for weeds, I, too did not notice them. Gee, your grass is so green.

Love your mailbox, too. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

Thanks Joy.

Why are hollyhocks not grown there? They don't mind hot temps.

Many people use this type mail box here. Made by the Rubbermaid Company and will not rust. This one has to be over 10 years old now.

By the way if it stays this hot without rain the grass will start to turn brown. I am hoping for rain soon.

My son has tried different varieties of grass see trying to get something to grow. This year he mixed clover in and it has taken off big time. The rain played a big factor too but now we have not had rain for over a week.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Think most gardeners in our area (subtropical coastal climate) go for easy-care tropical & subtropical, drought & salt tolerant plantings, Glad. Wind is a factor here, also, for tall flowers. Hollyhocks may well be grown in gardens, further inland, away from the Pacific Ocean "breezes".

Your son has found the right grass cover mixture for your yards. It does look good. Hope it rains soon for you. Seems funny, now, to be wishing for rain for you after all the rain we have all had over the past few months. :giggle:

Rubber mailboxes make good sense but have yet to see them here. Most here seem to be just painted galvanised steel. The paint tends to peel off after a while & looks daggy.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

If you notice the two black short posts beside the mailbox......a couple of years ago my mentally challenged son felt he wanted his own mail box so he chose a metal box.....and the wind knocked it down last week.....he said he would go back to using the main mail box from now on.....
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:48 pm

:lol2: Oh dear. Hope he wasn't too upset by this.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Nah....he didn't get much mail anyway....think he wanted to seem independent by having the mail box.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

Can understand that. As for me, I'd rather not even have a mailbox as all that seems to be put in it are bills, despite Bruiser stopping the paper copy bills for some of our obligations.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Right Joy.

Most of my mail is junk mail.

I may get a new picture soon. Seems as though the yard looks better with a clean up.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

We also get more that our fair share of junk mail, Glad. It seems as though everyday Bruiser getting a handful of it out of the letterbox. :mad2: He has to remove the stuff to make way for the bills. :lol:

Well, your front yard must be looking pretty good now as it looked all right to me in the pics you have already posted. :yes:

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:46 am

What a beautiful large yard you have there Glad
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 6:51 am

Thank you just me.

It is winter and cold here so the front yard doesn't look so great right now. In about 3 months everything will be coming to life again. Looking forward to it.

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

Your front yard looks good to me Glad, and the beds are all set out for next year when you want to start.
    See what you mean about the tacky fence.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:46 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Your front yard looks good to me Glad, and the beds are all set out for next year when you want to start.
    See what you mean about the tacky fence.

Oh dear don't get me going on that "Tacky" fence thing. It is rainy today or I would go and get a picture of how that fence is falling apart.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:50 pm