OUR IMAGES

Aechmea Fasciata "Primera"

default Re: Aechmea Fasciata "Primera"

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

jfelda Hi and welcome also from another new commer . I love the bromeliad Aechmea fasciarta .I have accuired 3 pups, so by the way yours has grown and produced babies I should expect I will have a big patch soon.They are so beautiful.

Post by Guest on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:41 am

Joy wrote:Hi & welcome to APG, taralyncorey.

The answer to your question is here. Removing Aechmea Fasciata "Primera" Offshoots. This post is three messages above but this link will tell what you need to know.

Hi Joy thank you for the welcome. I found the post you were talking about, thanks. My only question is when you remove the babies from the parent plant do you puy in water to start growing roots or just directly in a pot filled with good soil?? Thanks. Tara
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

:hi: Tara. Put them into some potting mix, with the stem deep enough to keep the plant stable. They have very few roots, just enough to hold the plant in place. The pot doesn't need to be very big, either. About 15cm or 6in should be sufficient to stop the plant from toppling over. Once I found one of our aechmeas growing, quite happily, on a little mound of potting mix sitting on the tiles on our front patio, as the pot had disintegrated. :rofl:

My aechmea fasciata "Primera" plants are all crammed together, mostly for space reasons, but also, because this keeps them from falling over due to their top-heaviness. :lol!: This is how these plants grow in the wild. Water the potting mix, after potting, just to stabilise the plant, but, as they do not use their roots to absorb moisture, I do not worry about specifically watering the soil as a general rule. Just water the plant so that it is its cup that receives water.

Do hope all goes well with your aechmea fasciata "Primera" babies. :luck: These are great plants. :cool3:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm