OUR IMAGES

Aechmea Fasciata "Primera"

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Aechmea Fasciata "Primera"

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

Close ups of the blue flowers of the aechmea fasciata "Primera". Have never seen them fully open, though.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 2:16 pm

The other aerchmea fsaciata "Primera" & its flowers.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 6:14 pm

The colours in this last image are absolutely beautiful Joy! Are they supposed to open ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 9:08 pm

Well, I really don't know, Dawn. :??: With all the aechmea fasciata "Primera" bracts we have had, I have never seen these flowers any different to the ones in these images. Shall keep my eye open for any changes, as they are both readily accessible. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 11:01 am

Well, have been keeping my eye open, Dawn & the small blue flowers, of the aechmea fasciata "Primera", never changed at all. They remained a rolled up tube type of flower. They did last longer than I thought, though, about three weeks, then they suddenly disappeared. Poof!! :o

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

The other aechmea fasciata "Primera" bract is also the same. The blue flowers seem to appear suddenly then disappear just as suddenly.

default jp

Post by Guest on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:25 am

Mine are growing & multipying, but no bracts yet. Any help or thoughts on getting them to flower? They are healthy.
    Joy wrote:The other aechmea fasciata "Primera" bract is also the same. The blue flowers seem to appear suddenly then disappear just as suddenly.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:22 am

Hi there JP & a very warm :welcome: to A Patio Garden. :)

Initially, I thought aechmea fasciata "Primera" plants needed to be reasonably mature to grow their beautiful bracts, but I did have a couple that grew them when they were only about three months old. One of these, later, grew its own offshoot & then, after a year or more, died. Of the original 11 offshoots, from the "parent" plant we bought four years ago, several have grown bracts. This has happened at the rate of two or three a year. These bracts last for around 9 months. The latest two are around 6 months old. There are, also, now quite a few offshoots. It does seem as though you only really ever have to buy one aechmea fasciata "Primera". :lol!:

The only thing I do for mine is to keep them in a shaded position as the sun seems to burn the leaves & water their "cups" daily in summer & slightly less in winter. They can be fertilised with 1/2 strength liquid fertiliser as per the instructions on the container. Some info on the web says the soil they are in can also be fertilised, but I don't know the purpose of this as their roots are only anchor roots & aren't used for feeding purposes. They are subtropical rainforest plants & I try to emulate those conditions. Luckily we are in the subtropics, as you are, so I can keep them in a sheltered position, outdoors, on our patios, all year round.

Some of yours may give you a wonderful surprise this summer & start growing their stunning bracts. These seem to happen around midsummer. :luck: Fortunately, these are also attractive foliage plants so they still look good with or without bracts. Especially, if they are healthy like yours.

default Aechmea fasciata "primera"

Post by Guest on Mon 04 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm

Joy , your plants are obviously loving their position on the patio so are rewarding you with wonderful blooming bracts , you have mastered the art of Bromeliad growing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

Many thanks, Pixie & a big welcome to you. :D Do wish I had room, on our two patios, for some more members of the wonderful bromeliad family. There are some gorgeous ones available for sale at the weekend markets in our part of the world. The colours of the bracts are so stunning. I also like the fact that they suit our climate &, readily, grow offshoots.

One thing I did find out is that these plants do prefer the shade as they can sunburn so easily, even with a small amount of sun. It doesn't appear to affect them unduly, just makes their leaves look a washed out & unsightly.

default Reply

Post by Guest on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

I will take awhile to find my way around this new forum.I do like smaller forums and this one seems to offer so much. I am not sure if I qualify as I have more than a patio garden in fact I have 3 acres of tropical rainforest ..Once I work out how to use this forum properly I will be posting photographs .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

Three acres of tropical rainforest does definitely qualify, Pixie. :lol: Think it might fit into the courtyard category. :whistle: If you would like a forum set up in the Yard Garden category I would be only too happy to install one. How about Rainforest Gardens??

Have provided a link to your lovely website in your welcome in the Check In ~ Introductions forum, part of the Reception Area category. There you will find a How-To Manual which will give you tips on how to post photographs, etc. Having looked at your beautiful website I know you have many wonderful images.

Take all the time you need to find your way about. We shall be only too happy to see your images whenever they happen to appear. :cool3:

default Junior member

Post by Guest on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

I see I am referred to as a Junior Member . does that mean I am a beginner in the forum ,or a person of minor age ,which I am not ,I am actually a disabled 76 year old ,I go everywhere on an electric scooter.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

You have just been (automatically) promoted from New Member to Junior Member, Pixie. :D Yes, it all goes on post count. Junior is 2-100 posts then they become Seniors. :lol2:

Your garden & photography are a credit to you & your scooter. These mobility devices are great & we are seeing more & more of them around our town.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:36 am

Was going to give Nelbel an aechmea fasciata "Primera" to take home with her, along with the Brazilian Walking irises & dracaena deremensis "Warneckii", after her visit here. Had to find one that I knew had definitely not had a bract so she would have a chance for it grow one.

The one I chose was an offshoot, of one of our original "babies" which was the first to grow a bract. It had been hiding under our main Brazilian Walking iris plant so I hadn't really seen it is in a while, in fact not since it was a small plant. So when I managed to find it, & pull it out from its hiding place, I was astounded to see just how big its leaves were.

Here it is when it was just a wee thing. Its parent has since withered up & it has had the pot to itself.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

Here it is now & I decided it would be too big fit into her vehicle, especially with all the other stuff she had.

The longest leaf is over 70cm (28ins) in length.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:42 am

It is now back on the back patio, in amongst other aechmea fasciata "Primera" plants, but in a more visible spot.

default Aechmea fasciata "primera"

Post by Guest on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

What a beautiful Aechmea .. I don't have it but have been promised a next pup from a friend. it is a much sought after Bromeliad.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Guess I am lucky, Pixie, as we have several of them. Some of these have also had pups. The original plant we bought, ended up having 11 pups in all. As they are all so closely packed together, it is difficult to tell which ones have grown offshoots. :D
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

The two aechmea fasciata "Primera" bracts we have, this year, are still looking good. They are really long lasting.

default Aechmea Primera

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 2:42 am

I have one of these plants in my home in Idaho :) It has flowered and now has three new offshoots growing in the pot with the original plant.

I would like to put these in pots of their own, but am not sure how to go about getting them separated without injuring or killing the parent plant.

Can you give me some tips on how to do this? Do I pull the whole plant out of the pot and repot it? Or will the babies come out without pulling the parent plant out?

Thanks!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:12 am

First up, jfeldh, a very warm welcome to APG. :welcome:

Now, down to business. How to deal with the aechmea fasciata "Primera" offshoots, initially, worried me too. Our parent plant grew a total of 11 of them. It was very prolific. :lol:

The whole procedure is simple but you do need a strong arm. Yes, you do need to take the plant out of the pot. You will see that it only has some shallow "roots", with the babies growing from its tough stem. They will have to be cut off the parent, using a sharp knife or small saw. No need to be too gentle.

Do not worry about the roots, though, if you can, allow each offshoot some of the parent's roots. If not, it doesn't matter as these are not used for sustenance but are purely anchor roots. They get their nourishment from the water in their cups & will, eventually, grow their own anchor roots.

Pot each offshoot using well-draining potting mix (if you have it, orchid mix can be used, if not, normal potting mix will do) & return the parent to its pot. If it is anything like mine was, it may grow some more. Bear in mind this parent plant will not grow another bract & will, eventually, die off. Its job is done once it has grown its colourful, long-lasting bract. Each plant will, also, only grow one bract but they should, in time, grow their own offshoots.

The one thing I do know, is that you only ever need to buy one of these wonderful plants. :lol!: Good luck with your babies.

default repotting shoots

Post by Guest on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:46 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick response :) I will give repotting a try. I'm thinking this may be a plant others would like to share...may make good Christmas gifts if I get too many of them! I love the bracts...they are beautiful and the plant is easy to care for...which I need;) Thanks again..Jfeldh
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

It is my pleasure, jfeldh. :D Aechmea fasciata "Primera" plants would certainly make a lovely Christmas present. Trouble is, I cannot bear to give "my babies" away. :lol:

default how to remove babies???

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 6:12 am

Joy wrote:They are great, aren't they Dawn & with all the new "babies" coming along, there will more of them. At least, they are replacing themselves, thank goodness.

how to remove babies???
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:45 am

Hi & welcome to APG, taralyncorey. :welcome:

The answer to your question is here. Removing Aechmea Fasciata "Primera" Offshoots. This post is three messages above but this link will tell what you need to know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm