default Re: Zygo Cactus ~ 2011

Post by Dawn on Sat 21 May 2011, 6:25 pm

As beautiful as ever, :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Thanks, Dawn. I am so pleased to see these particular zygoes flower as they were such profuse bloomers prior to suffering brown rot. Of course, only about half the plants have survived but the ones left now will multiply, as before, & become many plants again. They did all originate from one small plant we bought 4 years ago. :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 22 May 2011, 12:59 pm

I can't remember if I shared any photos of my large pots of the cacti?
    What I wanted to ask though is the pink/reddish small bulbs attached to the ends of the stalks...
    what exactly are those things?
    At the present time mine doesn't have any, otherwise I would take a pic to show you.
    I did show them at the small nursery shop around the corner and the owner had no idea.
    I need to take one and cut it open as I'm wondering if they are seed pods?

Now that I am with this group I can get answers..... finally!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 May 2011, 2:11 pm

Are they anything like this, Scottie?? This was when it first appeared & the stuff sticking out from it is the shrivelled up flower. It lasted for a long time, becoming a pink colour. Thought I actually had other images of it somewhere but cannot find them. Anyway, we thought it was a seedpod but nothing much happened with it. Just sat there at the end of the leaf it was on, stopping new leaves from growing. From memory, it turned out to be empty. :sad3:

If your plants tend to grow many of them maybe you could cut one in half to see what was in it. I do think they are seedpods.

Post by Guest on Mon 23 May 2011, 12:28 am

No, not looking like the pic you shared Joy but rather a perfectly rounded rose hip type pod/bulb and almost translucent in colour although a definite pink.

It doesn't happen every year, the pods, but next time I certainly will make sure I have a pic of them as it seems every single stalk had one where the new growth started on the tips of the stalk.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 May 2011, 9:25 am

Is your plant, what is known as, an Easter cactus or hatiora gaertneri, Scottie?? This does have seed pods similar to the ones you describe. Here is a link to what to do with these pods. Seems really easy to get plants to grow if these seed pods have viable seeds. You could start a nursery. :lol:

The seed instructions are about halfway down the article. The previous stuff deals with cross-pollination. This is something Bruiser used to love doing but which I cannot be bothered with. :D

Hatiora Gaertner Seed Pods
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Here is the second flower to arrive on our, thankfully recovered from brown rot, "White Fantasy" zygo or schlumbergera truncata. For some strange reason it is minus its beautiful stamens & pistil.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 24 May 2011, 8:53 pm

stamens or pistols missing or not , it is a beautiful Zygo flower :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 May 2011, 9:13 pm

Zygoes are a beautiful flower, aren't they, Dawn??? They look as though they are made from a shimmering silk organza. The flowers of this "White Fantasy" zygo are really pink. It will be interesting to see whether the other "White Fantasy" plants have similar coloured flowers.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 24 May 2011, 10:30 pm

Yes I always wondered why one I bought was supposed to be red and it sometimes comes out dark pink rather than red ???. maybe a hybrid strain coming through , ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 May 2011, 8:06 am

Do think it sometimes has to do with cooler than usual night temps such we have had lately, Dawn.

Here is a pic of flowers from the same "White Fantasy" zygo taken during its first flowering a year after we bought it.

Post by Guest on Thu 26 May 2011, 2:12 am

First of all thank you for the link.

Yes, the pods are somewhat like that although more bulging and very shiny. I don't think any went to "pod" this year and I have what we call the Thanksgiving which blooms in mid November which is the start of the winter month wherever winter happens although not in Florida, still it remembers...lol

Then I have the Christmas cacti which starts it flowering about the middle of December and flowers into the New Year and then the Easter cacti (I think a bit sharper points on the stem) and it is supposedly to bloom at Easter but mine thinks that is Mardi Gras time and it's in full bloom the middle of February.

BTW my white cactus is so far staying white although the other white, like yours, has the pink cast.
    The only difference is the pinkish caste plant is left outdoors around all the others and the totally white is on a window ledge with the Jade plants.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 26 May 2011, 1:52 pm

All of mine are what are referred to as Thanksgiving Cactus, or schlumbergera truncata, in the US. They start flowering, for us, towards the end of autumn & into the early part of winter. Last year they flowered for two months, which was wonderful.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

The flowering of our zygoes - schlumbergera truncata - is now getting underway. The "White Fantasy" zygo plants of the recovered-from-brown-rot-plants, are busily flowering away. These plants were the last to flower last year but are first this year. They all seem to take it in turns to lead the flower show. :giggle:

Here are some images from yesterday.

Firstly, from the "White Fantasy" zygo which out on the back patio. It seems to be a paler pink than the ones on the front patio but it isn't fully open yet.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Some images from the front patio "White Fantasy" (recovered-from-brown-rot) zygoes.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

This one looks a bit like Edvard Munch's painting:The Scream". :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

For some strange reason I never managed to post any more images of the wonderful flowering season our zygoes - schlumbergera truncata - had this year. This is very naughty of me as they had a fantastic season of flowers. We have four different types of zygoes & they all have such beautiful shades of colours.

Here is a slideshow of this year's gorgeous display, which will do in the interim, until I get around to posting the actual pics. :whistle:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:56 am