OUR IMAGES

Zygo Cactus ~ 2011

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Zygo Cactus ~ 2011

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 3:39 pm

There is some information on growing these beautiful plants in an earlier topic, Zygoes ~ Schlumbergera Truncata, further down in this forum. This topic will be for the start of this year's flowering season. After our zygoes had finished flowering last year I placed the two pots of "Fantasy" zygoes in sheltered spots under the foliage of othe plants in the more shaded sections of the back patio. This enabled them to rest after their magnificent display, especially the "White Fantasy" & Strawberry Fantasy" plants. in the one container.

The other container, on the back patio, has just the "White Fantasy" zygoes. This was the pot whose plants suffered from brown rot & I cut off the rot, left them to dry for a few days, then dipped the ends of each stem in rooting hormone powder & replanted them in fresh potting mix. Crossed my fingers also. :luck: :lol: They did have some flowers but many of the stems withered so after flowering I placed it in a nice sheltered, shady spot. Some of the withered stems died but some have revived & are looking quite ok now.

This morning, I, finally, brought them out of their hidden summer seclusion so they are now on display. :bravo:

This is the "Strawberry Fantasy" & "White Fantasy" container. It is still on the back patio.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Zygo Cactus ~ 2011

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 3:41 pm

The container with the "White Fantasy" zygoes, which were nearly compost material, are now on the front patio.

They now have plenty of room in their container & I do not expect too much from them, as regards flowering, this season.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Mar 2011, 3:42 pm

Another view. Boy, you cannot believe just how happy I am to see it looking this good. :clap:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:42 pm

The "White Fantasy" zygo which has recovered from brown rot has many flower buds. It is the first with them though the other two containers are starting develop pinhead-sized lumps on the edges of some of their branches. The nights are starting cool off though aren't very cold yet. About 16°C or 61°F.

It is still looking ok.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

A close up of some of the "White Fantasy" zygo schlumbergera truncata buds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 3:49 pm

All of the outdoor containers of zygoes schlumbergera truncata are showing buds. Think the old one which is indoors, for its own safety, has tiny little pinhead-sized indications of buds. Too small to take a pic of though.

The container holding the "White Fantasy" & "Sterling" zygoes, dropped a stem, which had two buds at the end of it. Left it to "callus" for a couple of days then decided to put it into a new pot with another small zygo plant which needed a friend. Used some of the orchid potting mix for this. partly because I didn't have any regular mix & had read where orchid potting mix could be used for bromeliads. While zygoes aren't in the same family as bromeliads, they do have similar growing needs & are also an epiphyte so I thought I should give it a go. It is very well draining so may be a way of preventing brown rot in these plants.

Here they are in their new pot. The one on the left is the dropped stem & its buds have grown, since the stem was potted, which is heartening. Do not know which zygo either stem is from so it will be interesting watching their buds grow. to see what colour they turn out to be.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 3:53 pm

Some of the "White Fantasy" zygo plants which suffered fro brown rot & have, since, recovered. They will flower first as their buds are bigger than the other plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 3:55 pm

Looking at the whole container of "White Fantasy" zygoes.which recovered from the brown rot. Am so pleased to see this happen. Usually brown rot means a certain end for these plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 4:00 pm

The container with the "White Fantasy" & "Sterling" zygoes has started to bud also. It has gown so much since last flowering season so it should be a treat to see.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 4:05 pm

The container with the "White Fantasy" & "Strawberry Fantasy" zygoes is on the back patio, which seems to be warmer, so it has been slower to show some buds. This is good, as this means the flowering, from the various containers, will take place over several weeks.

Here are some of its flower buds.

This one looks a bit like a praying mantis. Think a snail ate it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 03 May 2011, 4:07 pm

Another pic from the back patio zygo container.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 May 2011, 8:25 am

The buds on all our zygoes ~ schlumbergera truncata ~ are growing fast. These cooler nights are really agreeing with them. So pleased they are going to flower in stages as then we shall be able to enjoy these beautiful flowers over a period of time. :love:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 7:32 pm

Yes I remember how they flowered for so long! :cool3: , was it last season, yes I think it was? I have a memory that is sometimes like a sieve. They flowered for what seemed like forever , wonderful looks like you will be having the same this year :cheers: These are wonderful plants to have especially when they flower ! great stuff Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:29 pm

Our zygoes have been flowering well for the past two seasons, Dawn, though each season gets better & better. Hope they will do as well this year.

There are a couple of buds on the zygoes, which have recovered from the brown rot, that are almost ready to pop open. It hardly flowered last year & was the last to have buds so it is great to see them going first this year.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 4:11 pm

Here is an image of the pot of zygoes, or schlumbergera truncata, taken today, which lives on the back patio. It is a combination of "White Fantasy" & "Strawberry Fantasy". Cannot tell which is which just yet as the buds are still very small. Last year the "White Fantasy" flowered forst.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 4:13 pm

Here is the pot containing the zygoes which recovered from the brown rot. It lives on the front patio & is definitely going to flower forst this year. It is a "White Fantasy".

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 4:19 pm

Have sprinkled some slug & snail bait on these two zygo pots, as well as the old, snail nibbled, zygo which has been living indoors. Put it out on the front patio, this morning, to see if the cooler nights outside would encourage it to send out some buds. Did notice a pinhead sized bud was already on it, so there could be hope for some more. The snails haven't left much room for many flowers on it. It isn't in this pic.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 4:23 pm

This is the pot, on the front patio, with the "White Fantasy" & the "Sterling" zygoes. The "White Fantasy" is definitely going to flower first But the "Sterling" buds are a pronounced pink already.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:07 pm

:O they are looking good Joy! ! lovely!, those buds are nice and robust. This is a glorious plant in flower, not long now. :clap:

I should bring the other two out of the room on to the patio ( I also put them away in a darker place taking your advice from another thread ) as two of mine don't have any buds at all ! but they grew so big this last season and are looking good. Your advice has obviously done them well. I am also wondering if these are the other variety that flower at a different time ?? they always come unlabelled when you buy them tut tut! most frustrating. The others have weeny buds hope none fall off some did last year ?. My leaves turn a purple colour when I have them on the patio was wondering if it was the intense heat or glare under that roofing ?? As soon as I put them in a darker place they went green !! A lady on the other G/site said that african violets do this because of too much heat?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:37 pm

Mine seem to do much better on the front patio, which only gets late afternoon sun during the summer. This time of the year there isn't much sun at all. The one onthe back patio has some sun burn as it was getting some morning sun, which is why I hid it under the parent Brazilian Walking iris for the summer. We still get morning sun but it isn't as strong at this time of the year. As you can see from some of the pics, some of the leaves of mine do have a purplish tinge on their edges. Think it may just happen, as the one above, which has this did not get any sun.

They come from the rainforests of Brazil's mountains. Seem to remember Organ Mountains, Brazil, being the place they grow in the wild. With this in mind I tend to treat them as a rainforest plant. They are epiphytic, growing in leaf litter, etc on trees & in the forks of branches.

Here is a link for a reasonably good article about this wonderful plant. It is from the Toronto Botanical Gardens so the months of the seasons are for the Northern Hemisphere, of course. So, what they call Christmas cactus, or Thanksgiving cactus, is the one that flowers here in May or June, & the one known as Easter cactus is the one which flowers for us in November & December :lol2:

Zygo Cactus
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 10:47 pm

heehee that is funny :lol2:

The roofing doesn't let the sun in, but it seems to capture the heat under there I have to lower woodstocks cage to almost the floor in summer as it is like a furnace higher up. DH made me some long metal hangers to extend the hanging plants further towards the floor if you can understand my English. I am going to look at your link now thanks :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 May 2011, 10:52 am

Your English is perfectly fine Dawn. :good: It is about the same as mine. :rofl: :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 18 May 2011, 7:24 pm

:lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 2:02 pm

Here is the first flower for our zygo's - schlumbergera truncata - flowering season for this year. This is a "White Fantasy" & is on one of the plants that suffered from brown rot which survived &, fully, recovered.

Think this flower should be called a Pink Fantasy. :D

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 2:03 pm

Front view.

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:02 am