OUR IMAGES

New Orchid

default New Orchid

Post by Guest on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

I thought I'd post a picture of my latest orchid purchased last week at the New York Botanical Garden. It's a Paphiopedilum (lady slipper) Peter Penar x (Noble's Pass x Coastal Gold). I thought I'd show it off while it still looks good since I'll undoubtedly kill it sooner or later (probably sooner)! :lol2:

Last edited by galahmom on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 6:24 am; edited 3 times in total
    Bruce

default Re: New Orchid

Post by Bruce on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 4:56 am

Wow what a beauty GM, :love: it, have you got others? :hello2:

default more orchids

Post by Guest on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 6:23 am

My two phalaenopsis orchids. These were cheapies I bought years ago. They bloomed at that time, then hadn't rebloomed in years. I knew I was watering them correctly and the plants looked really healthy, with great roots, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I had spoken with multiple orchid experts. Finally I went to a talk at a garden show and asked the orchid speaker there, and he said that if the plants were healthy and I was watering correctly, then the problem was not enough light. I bought a small grow light, and had full blooms within a month! These two now bloom quite regularly. The yellow one, in fact, has three stalks on it now, with the other two sets of blooms set to pop open within a couple of weeks, I think. That's the most it's ever had at once.

I do have other orchids that are not reblooming. If I'm ever successful with them, I'll post pics here!

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 6:30 am

Two more great flowers I sure hope Joys can keep flowering like that, thanks for the info :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 8:43 am

What fantastic orchids, GM. They look so stunning. I am sure your new lady slipper orchid will thrive & I love its lovely, bright colours. You are certainly having a great deal of success with the other two flowering now. :bravo: They are looking so good!! Thanks for that tip about the light.

I was always tempted to buy some orchids but unsure if I could have any success with them. Seeing the wonderful images of Dawn's gorgeous orchids was an added incentive to try them so I bought a phalaenopsis for my birthday, then another for Christmas. These aren't particularly cheap plants here as they are sold as "luxury" items so I do hope they stay healthy & will, eventually, flower for us. That is, once they get back into their normal rhythm after being forced by the grower to flower for the Christmas, etc, market.

Thank you for showing us these beautiful flowers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

How is your lady slipper orchid doing GM??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

Lovely beautiful orchid Galah mom. The petals look thick, waxy and shiny :love: Also from what I can see it has leaves similar to a Phaleanopsis. It is the first time I have seen a lady slipper orchid. Thanks for sharing :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 5:15 pm

I forgot to mention I also notice it's stem is nice and thick, great for holding up that flower, are the flower heads quite heavy?

default re: slipper orchid

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, the flower head is heavy. Unfortunately the flower has already died. :sad3:

It turned brown all over and kind of mushy looking, then died. The plant looks healthy, though. I don't think I overwatered it. I'm not sure what I did wrong. The phaleanopsis orchids still look great, though. Maybe I should stick to them! :think:

This is why I took a photo shortly after I brought it home when it was looking its best! I didn't want to jinx it, but at least I was realistic about my orchid-growing ability. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:14 am

That is a shame, Galahmom, but it maybe it was just a natural dying off of the flower stem. Here's hoping, anyway. If the foliage looks ok then it should be all right. Dawn knows more about orchids than I do so she maybe able to give you some advice. The only thing I have read is that maybe now would be a good time to remove it from its present pot, cut off any mushy roots & repot it, to get it ready for the next flowering cycle.

We shall keep our fingers crossed for it & hope all will be well. :D :luck:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:49 pm