OUR IMAGES

The Pacific Highway. - North - Broadwater to Queensland

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default The Pacific Highway. - North - Broadwater to Queensland

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:27 pm

Yesterday we had to drive to Brisbane which is about a 500km (320 miles) round trip for us. Most of this entails travelling on the Pacific Highway, which runs from Sydney to Brisbane & at the Queensland border becomes the Pacific Motorway. We live 10kms from the highway, on the coast & join the highway at the small, sugar mill village of Broadwater.

Here are some images I took during this trip. There aren't that many as much of the earlier journey was taken with dark, overcast skies plus heavy rain, not at all conducive for taking pics from inside the moving car. The speed limit on the highway is mostly 100kph with 110kph on the freeway section.

This pic is of part of a rainbow. Actually it was a double rainbow which this was more noticeable with the eye. It was a beautiful full rainbow arc but by the time I thought to grab the camera, we had passed most of it by as we were travelling at least 100kph. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The Pacific Highway. - North - Broadwater to Queensland

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:35 pm

Could not get over just how green everything is as a result of all the rain we have been having. The landscape has looked this green for at least three or four years & we could get used to seeing it like this instead of the usual drought-caused brown grass. Most of the bush is the usual eucalypt trees & much of the area pictured is part of a national park. There are also the ubiquitous pest weed trees, camphor laurels. These are the lighter & brighter green trees. They are a terrible infestation which is proving extremely difficult to eradicate.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

This a shot I took while we were driving through one of the wildlife corridor tunnels which are situated, mostly, within the Nightcaps National Park. There is, also, many kilometres of koala fencing along the highway & freeway to help prevent the wandering, lusty, lovelorn male koalas from crossing the roads to their detriment.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:41 pm

Another Pacific Highway scene.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

This is one of the many, & varied, overhead bridges along the Pacific Highway from Ballina to Queensland.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

Travelling through another wildlife corridor tunnel. This is the longest one so has lights. One bank of them were receiving maintenance so two lanes were reduced to one making for a bit of a bottleneck here, especially as speed was reduced to 60kph through the tunnel as well as the approach.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

The Queensland border marking just north of the Tugun Bypass. Do not have the slightest as to what it stands for. Looks bright & cheery, though. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 2:56 pm

Taken on the return trip in NSW. Have never managed to take a pic of this sign before &, unfortunately, it was very overcast at this time yesterday so it is a wee bit dull. There are many avocado orchards in this region as well as macadamia & coffee plantations, stonefruit, specially bred for growing in a warm climate & tropical fruit orchards.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

Here is the longest wildlife corridor. There are three of these in this area & more will be built on new sections of the highway. This one was tunnelled through a small hill. The other two are really bridges which have had soil & plants placed on top & are purely for the critters' use. No people or cars..

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

These special tunnels have been faced with "bricks" made from encasing, what appear to be, large river stones in very heavy duty chicken wire forming large blocks. This seems to give them a more natural look which blends in to the surroundings. They also have a "old" feel about them.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 4:57 am

This is a lovely set of pictures Joy! sooo green :love:. One could say you have paid for it to be green with all the rain you guys have had to endure.... the scenery is lovely. Photo two reminded me of part of the west country coming down from Leeds in Britain, except the weather is quite different of course:).
    I think those tunnels are so pleasing to the eye with all that greenery on top they blend into the landscape so well.

That is a perfect shot of the rainbow :cool4: Thank you for putting these up they were lovely to see ! :cool2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 6:06 am

Many thanks Dawn. :smile: The scenery between here & Queensland is really rather beautiful, especially as it is so green at the moment. Though it does tend to stay fairly green normally as our average rainfall is higher than most other areas of Oz, except for the tropics.

Here is a shot of one of the two smaller wildlife corridor tunnels which I took on a trip we did over three years ago. It shows the planted trees & other vegetation, which will have grown quite considerably since then. Wasn't quick enough &/or the conditions weren't the best, to get an updated shot this trip. :roll:

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 3:43 pm

I love the pictures Joy!

Almost reminds me of parts of America except for one thing!

Ya'll drive on different side of the road than we do.

Beautiful green grass where ours is still brown from winter.

I enjoyed the tunnels too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 8:37 pm

Thanks Glad. Yep, we do drive on the left. :lol:

Guess we are lucky as our grass remains green all year round, in our region, unless we have severe drought. The trees don't lose their leaves either & some will flower through winter.

I have a fondness for those tunnels as they have a wonderful "olde worlde" appearance about them plus they are for a good purpose.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Some more images of these wildlife corridor tunnels I took on our latest trip to Queensland. Can you tell I love these tunnels?? Even though it was only three months ago that I took the pic of the longest wildlife corridor tunnel, I notice that some of the vegetation on top of it is not quite so green. Must be its winter colours. :D

Last edited by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

Heading into it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

This is the second wildlife corridor tunnel heading south. The vegetation certainly has grown on top of it since I took the image further up the page. That was three years ago. To the right there is a koala-proof fence, built right along the highway for many, many kilometres. It is intended to keep koalas & other wildlife from being squished, by the fast traffic, on the highway. Think the speed limit is still 110kph (69mph) along this stretch of the Pacific Highway.

As there is no sign of roadkill, it would seem as though this fence does its job.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

Closer view.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

The flooding, further south in the Mid North Coast, caused the closure of the Pacific Highway, south of Grafton, so there wasn't much traffic travelling the highway, much to Bruiser's delight. It was, mostly, "local", that is those of us who were only going to parts of the Northern Rivers region of NSW. The through traffic had been diverted to the New England Highway, which is further inland.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:21 pm

The third (when travelling south) of the three wildlife corridor tunnels. It is tucked behind a road bridge & is hard to see when travelling south. Trouble is it also catches me unawares when we are travelling north, as it is the first we come to. :lol2: Must try to get it the next tome head north to Queensland.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:21 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

A glimpse of a banana plantation up the back of Byron Bay. Think the area is called Myocum. Not 100% sure about that. :lol!: The heavy duty plastic fence is designed as a noise abatement fence to reduce highway sounds for nearby residents. It is see-through so the scenery, towards the ocean, can be seen but it is regularly broken by idiot vandals.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

Great Photos Joy, everything is so green. I do see what you mean about the vegetation and how it has grown on the wildlife tunnels. That photo of the highway going off into the distance amongst the hills is especially nice. Thank you, I do love your scenery :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

Thanks, Dawn. It isn't that easy to grab shots of the passing scenery when you are travelling at 100-110kph. Bruiser does tend to drive a wee bit faster than that though. :whistle: If you blink you miss it. :lol2:

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm