OUR IMAGES

Dragonflies

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Dragonflies

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 9:30 pm

The usual dragonfly we encounter here is the ordinary largish, plain coloured one. Not really too sure of its correct name. They tend to fly indoors & headbutt the walls or cornices. Bang, bang, bang!!! They are fairly easy to usher outdoors. These dragonflies are handy to have around as they eat mosquitoes, flies & other flying pests. I love to see them "patrolling" backwards & forwards outside. They go zip, zip, zip!!

This one is hanging from our ceiling.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Dragonflies

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Feb 2011, 9:36 pm

This afternoon, eagle-eyed Bruiser spotted this stunning dragonfly perching on one of our billbergia nutans plants. It was very easily startled & I had to do a bit of softly, softly moving around to get a shot of it. Luckily one of them turned out ok. Thought it was a Red Arrow dragonfly but I am not too sure about that. It is a different red to them & seems to have a bigger abdomen. Have never seen it flying around here before. Hope to see them again.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 18 Feb 2011, 6:23 am

Thats a good shot Joy, it sure is unusual EH :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 11:29 am

Thanks Bruiser. It certainly is an unusual dragonfly. :smile:

Saw a pinky/red something on our billbergia nutans the other day &, lo & behold, here was another one. Or, maybe, the same one come back. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 11:31 am

In this shot of the dragonfly it looks as though its abdomen is bi-coloured. It looked all reddish/pink when I took it but the camera saw it differently. :lol2:

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 6:54 am

It sure is a pretty insect :love:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 3:45 pm

bruiser wrote:It sure is a pretty insect

I was thinking the same thing. Really pretty.

Wonder if they would sting you?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

Fortunately, Glad, they aren't a stinging insect & are a very beneficial critter to have around. They eat mosquitoes & other flying insects, including stinging ones, catching them on the wing. It is good to see them patrolling your garden.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:46 am

A sad little story, which I was reminded of, this morning, when I saw a large dragonfly flying along outside. (They really do not look as though they should be able to fly, with their very large heads & thoraxes.) Anyhow, on with the sad story.....

A while ago, I heard a buzzing & banging noise coming from our bathroom & recognised it as a dragonfly butting its head against a window, trying to get outside. It was trapped between the bathroom's opaque-glassed window & the curtain. Do not know how it managed to get there as the curtain does cover the window. Being very careful not to scare it too much, I was able to grasp it without causing any damage to it or its wings. Then I took it outside to release it back where it belonged. :bravo:

It flew off, quickly, full of strength & vigour. :bye: Just as quickly, though, a bird shot down from nowhere &, suddenly, the dragonfly was no more. Oh dearie me......... :cry2:

Think I had just saved the dragonfly so it could be someone else's lunch. :o

C'est la vie......... :huh2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

A dragonfly resting on a stapelia gigantea stem. This one sits with its wings forward. Think it is a female Fiery Skimmer. The male has the bright pinky red abdomen which does look like the images further up the page.

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:43 am