default Re: Growing Brazilian Walking Irises From Seed

Post by Dawn on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

That sounds great ! thanx I will check it out
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 02 May 2011, 9:24 pm

Our baby Brazilian Walking iris seedlings are growing slowly. Have given up all hope of the other 6 & 1/2 seeds germinating. :sad3: Think they may have all been in the same segment of the seedpod & weren't viable. :think:

This image was taken today.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 04 May 2011, 3:47 am

:hi: Joy!
    I think this is the most amazing first try! I wouldn't worry about the other 6 1/2 . I still think they will come up somehow?. I planted some seeds of the "Tree" wisteria, the seedlings that came up died from a fungus that is so prevalent in these wisteria seedlings , they are not easy to grow. Not saying this will happen to you :) but..... I nearly turfed the soil out and what do you know the others that lay dormant (as not all came up at once) weeks later started to sprout , so my point is... to finally come to it :) just keep looking out for them!

They do look so healthy and already they look identifiable as little BWI'S :cheers: :luck:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 May 2011, 9:52 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dawn. :smile: Every day I closely examine the empty spaces & have had some false alarms. Little heart fluttering moments. :whistle: :giggle: But they have come to naught. Anyhow, 12 healthy looking Brazilian Walking iris seedlings will be plenty, I feel. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 May 2011, 3:53 pm

:apgw: Drum roll please!!!! :drum: We have a 13th Brazilian Walking iris seedling!!!! :excited: :dance: :apgch: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Saw it first yesterday, but waited until today to make sure it wasn't a speck of green coloured rock as has happened, with other false alarms, in the past. :whistle:

Here it is being dwarfed by its larger siblings. This one has taken more than three months to germinate &, finally, poke its head above the soil. :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 May 2011, 3:55 pm

A close up of this tiny little Brazilian Walking iris seedling. Guess this puts paid to the belief that these plants do not have seeds.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 07 May 2011, 8:28 pm

:drum: :drum: :drum: :drum: :drum: :bear: bakers dozen ! the perfect number. :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 May 2011, 8:51 pm

:lol2: We now have hopes for some more surprises. :whistle: I was thinking about planting the dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone" seeds in the apparently unutilised seed pots. Now I shall have to rethink that & sow them elsewhere. :cool4: Then there are the mandevilla seeds............... :O
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 1:41 pm

Finally read the instructions on the bag of the seed growing potting mix, mainly because I was checking to see whether it was suitable for growing the dracaena sanderiana "Lucky Bamboo" cuttings. It said to fertilise seedlings when they sprouted as there was little nitrogen in the mix which was to encourage germination. Then I thought :oops: , the poor Brazilian Walking iris seedlings have been up for a while now, apart from the latest arrival. No wonder they have been slow to grow. Have now given them some orchid fertiliser as this is applied weekly & is easy to apply. Hopefully, this will give them some oomph. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 21 May 2011, 6:24 pm

How lucky to find that out, now the others may come up :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 21 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Don't think so Dawn, as you are only supposed to use fertilser after they have germinated & popped their heads above the soil. Think the other 5 & 1/2 seeds are a lost cause. They have been slumbering for 3 & 1/2 months now & are, probably, comatose. :sleepy: :lol!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 23 May 2011, 5:36 pm

OK cool , does it look like they have benefited yet from the fertiliser Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 May 2011, 5:43 pm

Yes, they do, Dawn. Noticed today that most of them have grown a third leaf & are looking more & ,more like their grown up relatives. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 23 May 2011, 5:54 pm

great that is wonderful.Joy! :cheers:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 23 May 2011, 9:05 pm

It is good news, Dawn, but they are still tiny. Don't expect these Brazilian Walking irises to flower this year. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 31 May 2011, 5:15 pm

The Brazilian Walking iris seedling continue to grow slowly. The latest to germinate is still tiny but is, also, showing some signs of growth. Not much, though. Guess the cooler weather is causing them to slow down.

There is, absolutely, no sign of the other 5 & 1/2 seeds germinating. Think they are a lost cause. :sad3:

Today's pic.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 31 May 2011, 5:53 pm

They are looking really good Joy! :) Oohwah I see sun light too. What is that haven't seen it in a while here :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 31 May 2011, 8:43 pm

Yes, it sure is some :sun: , Dawn. We were rather pleased to see it ourselves after yesterday's drab & dreary, blah weather. :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

Sadly, I wish to announce that one of our Brazilian Walking iris seedlings failed to thrive & it is no more. Strangely, I think it was the second to sprout all that time ago. It had been looking as though it was not thriving as its leaves were going brown & when I touched it, it came out of the dirt with ease. There was no root system, at all. It was amazing it survived for as long as it did.

It was the second one in on the second row from the front. :cry2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

Oh dear Joy! are the others OK I hope so maybe that one just dried out a wee bit more than others between watering ?, unless a worm has eaten the roots from under the ground ?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

Rest assured, Dawn, the other Brazilian Walking iris seedlings are just hunky dory. :cool3: That one always seemed a wee bit "unwell". It didn't dry out, or anything like that, it just didn't "thrive". Think it was probably a weakling, right from the start. I tested the other seedlings to see just how well they were anchored into the soil & they were ok, thank goodness. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

Thats good Joy nice to hear the others are all cool! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:44 am

We are very pleased also, Dawn. :smile: Must get them potted one of these days. Don't think they will grow much further in the seedling mix. Keep forgetting to fertilise them, too. It is our present dismal weather that does this to me. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

:cool3: :luck:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Thanks Dawn. :smile: :good:

Sponsored content