OUR IMAGES

Growing Brazilian Walking Irises From Seed

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Growing Brazilian Walking Irises From Seed

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:39 am

When I was cutting the plant stems off the Brazilian Walking irises ~ neomarica gracilis (var - soft leaf) ~ I was stunned to find a seed pod on one of the last ones I cut. Never even knew they had seeds let alone such a largish pod. I cut it off the stem & placed it into a glass of water & hoped for the best. When I noticed the pod had strange black markings on it, I feared the worst. Then the pod drooped & I was going to chuck it away but left it in the glass thinking it may be ok. Anyhow, just 15 gays after I first discovered it, the pod burst open into three segments & there were seeds in the bottom of the glass. A couple had stayed in the pod. These seeds were all dark, hard & in a few different sizes & there were 18 & 1/2 of them. The 1/2 is a very small seed. :whistle:

There is practically no information on the web about these seeds or how or when to plant them. The only thing I did see was to plant them ASAP. Fortunately, yesterday, we bought some seed raising potting mix & some seed trays. Sooooooooooo, today I shall do it. :lol2:

Here is the seed pod in the glass & the split seed pod. As can be seen the pod is still green when it is split open.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Growing Brazilian Walking Irises From Seed

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:40 am

The Brazilian Walking iris seed. This is the very first time any of our many Brazilian Walking iris flowers have produced a seed pod.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:02 pm

Planted the seed this morning in the seed trays. Watered them & then placed them into a plastic supermarket bag which, hopefully, will act as a mini glasshouse. This method caused our phlox seeds to germinate in half the time. Hope it works for the Brazilian Walking iris seeds as well. I shall be happy if even a few germinated. :excited: Have placed them in a sheltered spot outside.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:03 pm

In the mini glasshouse. :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 9:19 pm

Haven't found a thing on the germination period for these Brazilian Walking iris, or neomarica gracilis - soft leaf var on the net. In fact, one site claimed that these plants do not have seeds. A few weeks ago I would have agreed with them. :lol2: So I shall be flying blind with these seeds. It sure will be interesting, that is for sure. :cool4:

Gave them another watering today as it has been very warm. Apparently, seeds need plenty of water, until they germinate, then the watering can be reduced somewhat.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 6:58 pm

What an exciting exercise. You will soon be a Brazilian Walking Iris expert Joy! :cool4:

Before that seed pod burst open it looked just like a flame lily seed pod :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm

Had to Google images of the flame lily seed pods, Dawn. :) Not that there were many pics of them, except when they were ripe & burst open. There was one image that did look just like the Brazilian Walking iris seed pod. The BWI seed pod never went brown which fooled me. Did think it wasn't ripening. Apparently, they don't change colour, apart from the few small black blotches which gave me some concern. :O The stem never deteriorated whilst it was in the water & that gave me some hope.

It is now a waiting game as I have no idea of their germination period but we are patient. :whistle: :rofl:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm

Joy wrote:Had to Google images of the flame lily seed pods, Dawn. :) Not that there were many pics of them, except when they were ripe & burst open. There was one image that did look just like the Brazilian Walking iris seed pod. The BWI seed pod never went brown which fooled me. Did think it wasn't ripening. Apparently, they don't change colour, apart from the few small black blotches which gave me some concern. :O The stem never deteriorated whilst it was in the water & that gave me some hope.

It is now a waiting game as I have no idea of their germination period but we are patient. :whistle: :rofl:

On my thread Gloriosa / flame lilies on APG on page one I think the second image is a photo of a Flame lily seed pod before it turns black and has burst open. Except for the dried petals hanging on to it I thought the pod looked like your BWI pod .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 7:59 am

Yes, Dawn, in the next image, from the seedpod with dried petals, are a couple of seedpods without petals & they look even more similar to the Brazilian Walking iris pod with its ridging. They are just a bit hippier, that's all. :lol2:

The compartments in the BWI seedpod look as though they hold three seeds each which would explain the 18 & 1/2 seeds. Do so hope they were fertile. :apgn:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 7:39 pm

Yes, a bit of an inane statement on my part maybe :blush: . It looks like an Iris pod I will leave it at that . Strange as it may sound :) I never think of the BWI as an Iris another silly statement, but I think it is because they look too exotic to me to be an iris. :blush:

Those on the image I think you were referring to are small G/buds Joy!.

The BWI Pod ....It was swollen so should think it was fertile and it burst open on its own would make me think it was ready. ? I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised Yipee! I can't wait to see what happens :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 9:05 pm

Can't see anything inane about any of your statements, Dawn. :smile: Trust me to think the gloriosa buds were seedpods. :roll: :whistle:

While Brazilian Walking irises are members of the iridaceae family, I tend not to think of it as a REAL iris, if you know what I mean. :lol!: They look more orchid-like. Did read once (& now cannot find it) that it isn't a true iris.

Sure hope you are right Dawn about the seedpod. Still cannot find any reference to the seeds' gestation period & I think these seedpods may be as scarce as hen's teeth. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

Ten days have passed since I planted the Brazilian Walking iris ~ neomarica gracilis (var soft leaf) ~ seeds. Still no sign of life in the seed trays but, I guess, it is early days yet. It would be handy to have some idea of the germination period so I would know if I planted dud seeds or not. :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

Didn't look at the Brazilian Walking iris seeds yesterday & was a wee bit hopeful that something may be stirring today. This is what I saw when I looked this afternoon!! :excited: Do so hope it is a seedling but it is nowhere near where I planted the seed. Maybe it moved when I watered them once with a watering can that did not have a spray nozzle. :roll: It did whoosh the dirt around so maybe the seeds as well. :think:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Mar 2011, 5:29 pm

Well, that tiny bit of greenery disappeared completely. :O Still no sign of any action, from the seeds, so far :sheesh: It isn't looking too hopeful at the moment. Guess it only has been 4 weeks, though. :apgn:

Wish I could find some info on Brazilian Walking iris - neomarica gracilis (soft leaf var) - seeds & their normal germination period. :huh2: :think: Trouble is, I am worried they may have cooked during the very hot days we had earlier this week. The trays are black & get very hot. :sad3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

Well, I do think these might be a couple of Brazilian Walking iris seedlings. They appeared yesterday & today & are still fairly microscopic. Had to crop the pics so we could see them but they already look like baby Brazilian Walking irises. We certainly hope so. :whistle:

This is the smallest of the two.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Mar 2011, 9:09 pm

This is the bigger of the two & it has an interesting blue spot on one of its tiny leaves. Wonder what it is?? :huh2: :??: :think:

It is 45 days since I planted the seeds.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 6:43 am

WOO HOO Success :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 7:49 am

Thank you Bruiser. :curtsy: Do hope there will be a few more to come. :bear:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:56 pm

The next day (today) the two Brazilian Walking iris seedlings had grown a bit. :bravo: Then, somehow, I found a third one !!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cool: Could not see it without my new glasses, though, as it is extremely tiny.. :lol2:

This is the largest one. It still has that strange blue spot on it. :huh2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:58 pm

Here the second Brazilian Walking iris seedling.

They are really quite tiny. :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

AND, number three, the brand new Brazilian Walking iris seedling!!! :cool4:

Fortunately, there is that tiny orange coloured stone beside the shoot, so we know where to look to see it!! :donald:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

:apgw: Eagle-eyed Bruiser has spotted another two teeny tiny Brazilian Walking iris seedlings which have, finally, just poked their heads up out of the dirt. :excited: This is 52 days since they were planted!! There are still another 13 & 1/2 to come. If they ever do, that is. :roll:

These are very slow growing seedlings too which is rather strange as the plants that gow on the flower stems grow very quickly. It does seem as though they are the Brazilian Walking irises preferred method of reproduction. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Mar 2011, 4:31 pm

Found a sixth minuscule Brazilian Walking ifris seedling poking its head out from the dirt, this morning. :bravo: Gosh they are so small it is hard to see them. You need a magnifying glass to spot them. :pirate5:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

Here are today's pics of all the Brazilian Walking iris seedlings which have, so far, popped their heads up.

This is pic of the first. There is still a faint trace of the blue spot it had.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm

The second seedling to surface.

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm