Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: How's Your Weather Going???

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:05 am

Looks nasty, Glad.

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

Our crazy weather continues, after two weeks of glorious dry weather its started to snow this morning.
    But really bad in Scotland and northern England.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

You are kidding, BigBilly. That sure is crazy weather, isn't it?? Do hope it returns to your lovely spring weather very soon.

We are now having the summer we missed out on, with lovely warm sunny weather.

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

We've been having strange weather here too. Gone from the 80's to snow on the hills. :huh2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

Brrrrrr, Mary!!! :cold: The same happened further down, in south of our state, where it is colder but it is allowed to, I guess, as it is autumn. We are lucky as we do not even get frost.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Perfect weather!

Anxious to start gardening again. Been keeping away from the soil til healing is done.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

Sounds good, Glad. :D It would be most important for you to, not only keep soil from possibly contaminating the excision site, especially as you have horse manure in it (tetanus risk), but to not let the site get sunburnt. Trouble is, it will be most frustrating for you to have to keep away from your garden. :lol3: Just stand back & enjoy the view. :)

Our weather is dull, damp & dreary at the moment although still very warm. Can't complain, though, as further north of us they are having very heavy rain with the risk of flooding.

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:41 am

Frosts, hail, cold winds and now cold rain. Oh to be in England now that Aprils here !!!!

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 6:22 am

Mate doesn't look too inviting, hope there is not too much damage :sorry2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

Oh my goodness, BigBilly, I was going to say it must be time for a sun-soaking in the Caribbean but I did see that heavy rain, in Trinidad, has washed out day 4 of the Second Cricket Test between the West Indies & Australia.

Do so hope the hail has not caused any long term damage to your wonderful garden & that all is ok. It certainly does look heavy hail. Another question. :D What are those items in the bird feeder on the right in the first pic??? They almost look like potatoes.

Thank you for posting these pics, BB. They are great, despite the hail, & show how good your veggie garden is looking already.

Post by Guest on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

No real damage done as far as i can see,just makes working messy.
    We are officially in drought now, but NOT a hosepipe ban at the moment. As a precaution son and I have
    built a rainwater collection system based on the soakaway that deals with the roof water from the two cottages. Have already collected over 500 gallons. Will get some pics to post.

Am very busy with the changes to the garden so i am afraid i have been a bit remiss in answering posts so sorry for that, and could i say a real big welcome to all the new members.

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:27 am

Thanks BigBilly! Wow! That's some hail you got!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:30 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:No real damage done as far as i can see,just makes working messy.
    We are officially in drought now, but NOT a hosepipe ban at the moment. As a precaution son and I have
    built a rainwater collection system based on the soakaway that deals with the roof water from the two cottages. Have already collected over 500 gallons. Will get some pics to post.

Am very busy with the changes to the garden so i am afraid i have been a bit remiss in answering posts so sorry for that, and could i say a real big welcome to all the new members.

Phew, glad to here there wasn't any major damage to your garden, BigBilly. Still cannot imagine an England in drought as it always looks so green. Rainwater tanks are encouraged here now, to be used for the garden, washing machine & toilet flushing. With the amount of rain we have had they should all be full. :lol3: Wished we could have one but we cannot because we rent in a small unit complex.

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Sorry for not answering your question re the bird food Joy, the things that look like potatoes are fat balls that we buy in.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

Thanks, BigBilly. Did think they might have been suet (or similar) balls but wasn't quite sure & they did look a bit like taters. :lol3: There isn't a great deal of bird feeding done in our area so we never see such bird treats. Your bird friends have quite a banquet laid out for them. :bravo:

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

Plenty of different bird foods available here Joy, and although it costs us a bit to keep them fed, its nothing compared to the pleasure we get from watching them and also the good they do in getting bugs off the plants.

The rainwater collecting system.
    2 1100 litre tanks from the tip.

A water filtration tank from the tip, cut in half and put in the soakaway to collect all the rainwater from the houses
    and pumped to the tanks by a submersible pump with a float switch.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

I like it :yes:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

How ingenious, BigBilly. :good: It shows just how good your inventiveness is or as we call it, bush mechanics. Very simple & very effective. Thanks for the pics. Gee, you must have a great tip as you seem to be able to get plenty of useful "treasure" from there.

Yes, it is wonderful to see so many birds around. We are also fortunate in that regard but, luckily for us, Mother Nature takes good care of their food requirements. The bug eaters do, also, look after my patio plants, particularly a pair of migratory sparrows, who keep an eye on our wonderful Wollemi Pine, whenever they happen to arrive at our place. A wattlebird, eventually, cleaned off our kentia palm's chomping caterpillars. It still checks it from time to time. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:30 am

That's an amazing water system! Very nice!

Post by Guest on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm

Back to the strange weather, since the powers that be declared a drought its done nothing but pour with rain on a daily basis.
    All tanks and tubs now brimming full.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:55 pm

:rofl: Isn't that the way things happen, BigBilly!! Just as well you had your rainwater collecting gizmo all set up, ready for the deluge.

We have been told the rest of our autumn will be dry as La Niña is supposed to have dissipated. We shall see. :think: Today is cold, dull & dreary. The temperature, early this afternoon, is only 20°C or 68°F. Brrrr!! :cold: Time to get the winter clobber on. I think.

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:23 am

Getting serious weather warnings of wind and rain for Sunday so its batten down the hatches time.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 9:11 am

Oh dear, BigBilly. Do hope you & your garden will be ok. Guess there is not much you can do about that hasn't already been done. It sounds a bit like our weather forecast, actually. A dreaded east coast low is supposed to be forming off-shore.

Post by Guest on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

The odd weather continues, flood warnings this morning near the rivers, 1 inch of rain in 6 hours with more to come.High winds with many trees down.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

That is some rain, BigBilly. So much for gentle spring rains, eh. Hope it calms down for you soon & returns to your lovely spring weather.

We have had a very ordinary day today with our cool & wet weather. Became very dark during the afternoon, windy then a thunderstorm arrived at sunset. Plenty of lightning & thunder but no power outage, thank goodness.

Post by Guest on Tue 08 May 2012, 5:59 pm

Weather has improved a bit and we have actually seen the sun for an hour or two, the ground however is still very wet and things aren't growing as they should.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:37 pm