OUR IMAGES

Prawn Trawlers From Razorback Lookout.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Prawn Trawlers From Razorback Lookout.

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 3:19 pm

Went up to Razorback Lookout, which is on the the south side of our small village across the river, to observe the moon eclipse which was to occur. at sunset, on the 21st December 2010, which was our summer solstice. While we were waiting, I took some pics of a couple of prawn trawlers which were heading out for a night's trawling for prawns for the more lucrative Christmas market.

Coming out of the river entrance getting ready to cross the bar.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Prawn Trawlers From Razorback Lookout.

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 3:22 pm

Crossing the bar.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 3:22 pm

This is Summerwine.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 3:23 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 3:24 pm

This is Montego Bay.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

I see you posted these on the 22nd I missed the post !

Great photo's Joy! they are very clear, Thanks for sharing them!

I love the name "Summerwine" , and these boats look like they are in very good nick .

Thank you for putting them up!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 9:26 pm

:smile: That's ok, Dawn. :cool3:

Summerwine doesn't have much in the way of rust streaks from nails in its planks as well as the sleds & boards used in the trawl, as the owner is always painting it. :whistle: Kevin is fanatical about his boat. Bruiser used to work for him, years ago, & then when he (Bruiser) bought his trawler, Kevin worked for him. :lol!: Montego Bay has some of those rust streaks from his sleds & boards (both of which are also rusty) running down the side of the trawler. They denote a trawler that is working hard. Or so they say. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 4:35 pm

oh gosh wow so you actually know the people who own the trawlers. That is . Yes too true it would denote a good hard worker
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 9:08 pm

Certainly do know these guys, Dawn. ;) It is a very small village & Bruiser had his trawler for around 12 years. Both of these skippers have been trawling for years & years. The guy that owns & skippers Montego Bay has had that boat for as long as we have known him, which would be nearly 20 years. :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 9:37 pm

Gosh seeing Montego Bay out there on the ocean must be be quite nostalgic for you two :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 29 Dec 2010, 9:54 pm

Not really, Dawn. :lol2: For Bruiser it was a great deal of hard work, for very little financial return. There was the occasional good spell but they were few & far between. :roll: The only people who drive flash cars, in the fishing industry. are the middlemen who don't have to go out & do the dangerous stuff of catching the product. :mad2: :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 30 Dec 2010, 5:50 pm

Yes I can imagine it can be hazardous out there on the sea, yes a great pity that the fisherman don't benefit more from this profession. Thanks for the photos :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Dec 2010, 9:51 pm

It is my pleasure, Dawn. :cool4:

When Bruiser was working with Kevin (now of Summerwine) on his previous trawler (co-owned with his sister & BIL), one night the nets hooked up on rocks & due to a set of circumstances, the trawler sank. Kevin was still in the wheelhouse on the radio calling for help, when the boat went down. He got out ok, of course, but he is known as the bloke who can talk under water. :whistle: :cool: They floated around in the ocean for about an hour, holding onto a cooler (called an Esky here), until another trawler was able to find them. This trawler found them by following the diesel slick, which was coming from the sunk boat, & was being swept along by the current. They were very lucky as they were about 10 nautical miles out to sea. A few months later Bruiser bought his trawler & Kevin came to work for him. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 30 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm

Oh my goodness that was a close one. :O . Well they say you should get back on the horse straight away.:apgn: They would have had to tie me up first after something like that had happened :speedy: I would have been outa there :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 30 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm

Me, too, Dawn. :donald:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 4:09 am

Can you believe it just after chatting on this thread I watched a Doco on Trawlerboats. It was so fascinating . Yes and very dangerous . Some times they would come in with the most amazing quality prawns which they called pink gold but they had to go miles out of their way to find them sometimes. But sometimes it wasn't so good. They work so hard and the weather I think I understand a lot more now after actually seeing the film. It was mostly about the trawlers up at Peterhead in Scotland but gave me some insight as to what you did Bruiser.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 9:23 am

Yes, we have seen these docos, Dawn. They certainly are scary. :omg: Most of those boats are larger than the ones that operate out of here & they go out for weeks on end. Plus their weather is way more atrocious than that which is experienced here. :cold: Not that it is a lovely smooth ride for our local trawlers. The rocking & rolling & lurching is murder on the poor old hip joints. :O

The trawlers here come home in the morning so their catch is always super fresh. It is cooked on board, in seawater, then immediately iced so the product is in tiptop condition. Bruiser's prawns were considered to be the best. :whistle: The prawns trawled for here are known as eastern king prawns & school prawns. The latter are a daytime catch so the trawlers work almost office hours for those. :lol2: It is all very hard work nonetheless. It was even harder for Bruiser when he did it all on his own. Also, some deckhands are worse than useless, even when they are there. There is, usually, only a skipper & one crew on the boats here. Fortunately, there is time for sleep, one person at a time, during the trawling process. :sleepy: The years of doing this really disturbed Bruiser's sleeping patterns. :yawn:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 6:27 pm

I don't think I could work on a fishing vessel, as obviously I am not big and strong but I would love to have had an opportunity to go out on one and see things first hand. I love fish :lol2: Don't ask me why I don't think I really even know the answer myself. Maybe I could offer to wash the prawns or the fish. It would be dangerous leaving me alone with the fish I might throw all the live ones back :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 01 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

You don't sound any more dangerous on a trawler, than some people, Dawn. :donald: :whistle:

While I love to eat certain fish, I am not much of a fan of the actual fishing process. A bit too impatient, I think. :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 4:15 pm

Yes Joy! not many people who like fishing ! except maybe old men and me :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 9:46 pm

:donald: True, Dawn.

Here is an image for you which is rather typical of our town. It was taken on the North breakwall which is shown in the top pic. It was taken in winter, too.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 8:00 pm

That is a wonderful photo Joy! yes you do get amazing weather in winter where you are, we used to also get good winters when we moved here around 30 yrs ago I wonder what happened :??: :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 9:26 pm

:lol2: We took 'em, Dawn. ;)

How's this for a loyal patient wife???? :whistle: Though she is starting to look a tad impatient. Her other half is out of sight down in amongst the rocks. This was taken on the same morning as the other pic & from the same spot.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm

Yes! definitely looks like she is being very patient :smile: unless of course she is enjoying just chilling out on the bank . I also love watching people fish maybe we are kindred spirits :lol!: Mind you it doesn't take me long to get a rod off someone else if I don/t have one handy and to have a go :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 11:09 am

Her old man was just down in front of her. :lol: Maybe she was using "togetherness" as an excuse not to do boring old housework!! :lol2:

Though I have had a serious thought, Dawn. I wonder if, perhaps, her husband has some sort of dementia or Alzheimers & she is helping him enjoy his fishing passion by keeping an eye on him while he does it. Have never noticed many non-fishing women sitting on the (very uncomfortable) rocks while their menfolk fish away. :smile:

Think you may be in seventh heaven here, Dawn. :smile: There are so many prime fishing spots everywhere. On the river, by the river, on the beaches, on the sea. The breakwalls are very popular as they are so easily accessible but some go to great lengths to get to their permanent regular spot. Like these guys. Same day, again. Where would they be without the large, bulk mayonnaise white buckets??? :???:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm