OUR IMAGES

Our Summer Flowers

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Our Summer Flowers

Post by Joy on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 9:57 am

The curcuma "Voodoo Magic" has quite a few flowers now. They are all over it, including around the back. :cool:

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 4:34 pm

I cannot get over how beautiful the flowers and plants are. Especially the orchids.

No wonder you chose one for your avatar.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 5:20 pm

Thank you, Glad. It is amazing what you can grow in pots. Must say I still cannot believe just how well so many plants do, though it is easier when you have an ideal growing climate. :)

Here is a pic from yesterday of the two curcuma laddawan "Siam Jewel" flowerheads.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 9:39 pm

Our hibiscus schizopetalus has finally flowered again. I do love these exquisite flowers. This image was taken this afternoon when the sun had disappeared from the back patio. The other image in the Hibiscus topic was taken in the morning when the sun was on the back patio. The wind was rather frisky so it was hard to get a pic without the flower swinging from side to side & spinning around. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 9:51 pm

We have a plant called homalocladium platycladum or "Bad Hair Day Plant". It is also is known as Ribbon Plant or, yuk, :sick2: Tapeworm Plant. :O It has had many close shaves & nearly ended up in the rubbish bin. I liked it too much for that, though, & we still have it. One day I shall give it its own topic where I shall tell the story of our plant. In the meantime here is a surprise I noticed today. Flowers!!! What is left of the plant is covered in teeny tiny buds & some open flowers. They are the smallest ones you will ever see, I think. Cannot think of any others which are so tiny. They also grow in a strange spot on the plant.

The little white specks are the buds. :lol:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 27 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

The second curcuma laddawan "Siam Jewel" seems to be quickly catching up to its older sibling.

Taken today.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:32 am

Joy wrote:We have a plant called homalocladium platycladum or "Bad Hair Day Plant". It is also is known as Ribbon Plant or, yuk, :sick2: Tapeworm Plant. :O It has had many close shaves & nearly ended up in the rubbish bin. I liked it too much for that, though, & we still have it. One day I shall give it its own topic where I shall tell the story of our plant. In the meantime here is a surprise I noticed today. Flowers!!! What is left of the plant is covered in teeny tiny buds & some open flowers. They are the smallest ones you will ever see, I think. Cannot think of any others which are so tiny. They also grow in a strange spot on the plant.

I can't beileve how tiny and pretty these flowers are :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 9:36 am

They sure are, aren't they Bruiser?? :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 5:24 pm

Joy wrote:We have a plant called homalocladium platycladum or "Bad Hair Day Plant". It is also is known as Ribbon Plant or, yuk, :sick2: Tapeworm Plant. :O It has had many close shaves & nearly ended up in the rubbish bin. I liked it too much for that, though, & we still have it. One day I shall give it its own topic where I shall tell the story of our plant. In the meantime here is a surprise I noticed today. Flowers!!! What is left of the plant is covered in teeny tiny buds & some open flowers. They are the smallest ones you will ever see, I think. Cannot think of any others which are so tiny. They also grow in a strange spot on the plant.

They are really cute Joy! I wonder what the teeny white specks ? are are they just markings on the petals or are they little stamens? I would love to hear about this unusual plant when you get the time to give us it's story :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 5:46 pm

Do you mean the markings on the tiny flowers, Dawn?? I used the zoom in Picasa & they became too blurred to see clearly. They are really, really, REALLY tiny!! :lol2: It does look as if their pistils & stamens are opened out over the teeny petals, though. The white specks I referred to, as the buds, are the little white dots on the stems. Yep, those segmented strappy, green things are the actual stems & the flowers grow straight off them. :lol!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 6:14 pm

:donald: I used all the wrong terminology sorry :) the anther or filament was what I meant to say and used the word stamen instead. I was too lazy to go looking for the right name and guessed! I did see what you meant the teeny white speck being the flowers but it looked to me like the flowers had two little 'white dots' on them. Teeny flowers look absolutely magical when close up, I was trying to visualise what the size was in actuality. You mentioned you zoomed in, was that on the macro setting ? wow! they are tiny specks. :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 9:42 pm

There was some zoom used when I took the pic but the zoom I used to look more closely at the teeny tiny flowers was the one in the Picasa3 site where all our pics are stored before being uploaded to the web albums. There is a zoom there where you can see parts of an image magnified. The pic is about life sized, or maybe a little bigger, Dawn, so that is almost the size they are. There seems to be some shadows on the petals of the flower, in the centre of the pic, which seem to come from the pollen coated anthers at the top of the stamens. They do have berries which would be ridiculously tiny, too. :lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 Jan 2011, 11:09 am

An image taken yesterday looking doown at the two curcuma laddawan "Siam Jewel" flowerheads. The second is now the same size as the first.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 2:12 pm

The other day our hibiscus schizopetalus delighted me with three flowers!! Most unusual. :smile:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 6:32 pm

Both very beautiful Joy! :cheers:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 9:25 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: Our dracaena surculosa punctulata "Sierra Leone" has been flowering again. Here are a couple of pics from the first flowers.

The same flower the next morning. By late morning it was well & truly finished. :sad3: Its petals had turned a lovely soft green.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 10:15 pm

Looks like an antenae from space when viewed from afar... I walked into the study and saw it on the comp screen , very ephemeral ! I still wish I could get a whiff of the scent. :) :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm

I put something under general garden chat yesterday. I know it is bedtime for you guys now not suggesting you ans. Just thought I would tell you as it is a new topic so no notification
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:31 am

Dawn wrote:Looks like an antenae from space when viewed from afar... I walked into the study and saw it on the comp screen , very ephemeral ! I still wish I could get a whiff of the scent. :) :whistle:

They like to send out their signals far & wide, Dawn, but we don't seem to have many nocturnal pollinators. Maybe that is why some of these flowers are opening late in the afternoon & staying open & looking lovely for a few hours in the morning. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

Dawn wrote:I put something under general garden chat yesterday. I know it is bedtime for you guys now not suggesting you ans. Just thought I would tell you as it is a new topic so no notification

We found it, Dawn. :cool3: Eventually. :whistle: There is also, a new topic, in Growing Seeds & Cuttings In Pots, about my latest saga of attemptng to get the Brazilian Walking Iris seeds to germinate. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 4:04 pm

Here are a couple of close ups of the homalocladium platycladum "Bad Hair Day Plant" flowers. These flowers are only about 3mm across (1/8th in).

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 4:06 pm

Here are some tiny bunches of the tiny flowers. :whistle:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

They are gorgeous close up like that Joy! very cool thanks ! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 9:21 pm

Thanks, Dawn, :smile: The whole plant is covered with these teeny flowers, except for the new stem growth. Some little branches have several flowers on them. Looks a bit like white mould. :lol2:

Here is today's pic of the two curcuma laddawan "Siam Jewel" flowerheads. Love these plants. :love:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 8:10 pm

The Siam Jewels are looking very nice Joy!. I love their flowers also. :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Dec 2017, 5:15 am