OUR IMAGES

A Dung Beetle

Dawn

default A Dung Beetle

Post by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 9:51 pm

This was a sight I hadn't seen in a while. After the rain up north the dung beetles come out in force. Here is one rolling around a piece of horse dung. He was working so hard .

Last edited by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
    Dawn

default Re: A Dung Beetle

Post by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 9:52 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 9:59 pm

They move quite fast too you can see how the ball is blurred , he was rolling it that fast. Roly the cat was after him so we had to take the cat away.

I need to learn the macro on this Samsung as I know it can take such beautiful close ups. But the Camera lessons were also cancelled due to cancellations . I thought the Afrikaans name for a dung beetle was cute, they call them " Mis kruiers" which means s*** pushers .

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm

:lol2: What a great little critter, Dawn. These busy little creatures are highly valued in Australia as they help to fertilise the soil & at the same time help reduce fly numbers by burying the cow & kangaroo manure so beloved by flies for breeding grounds. So we now have hundreds of millions instead of many billions of rotten flies.

Farm pesticides, etc, are sold here as being non-toxic to dung beetles. :bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm

A better view
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm

Oh, so you were using the Samsung, eh, Dawn??? Thought it was the Canon. :smile: You still did a great job with it. The terrific thing about digital cameras is that it doesn't really matter how many pics you take or how many are blurred as they are easily deleted & one usually turns out ok among a few that haven't. If you know what I mean. :good:

Wonder how far the dung beetle rolled the dung ball?? Can imagine it did look rather attractive to the cat, too. :rofl: :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:25 pm

Joy wrote: What a great little critter, Dawn. These busy little creatures are highly valued in Australia as they help to fertilise the soil & at the same time help reduce fly numbers by burying the cow & kangaroo manure so beloved by flies for breeding grounds. So we now have hundreds of millions instead of many billions of rotten flies.

Farm pesticides, etc, are sold here as being non-toxic to dung beetles.

yes hey are special little things arn't they That area doesn't have crop spraying or anything that can harm them I don't think. But that is great to know they are appreciated.

Apparently I am told the female when he finds one ( I suppose the ball of dung must be what she finds attractive ...the bigger the better:lol!:) clings on to the ball for dear life while he is still rolling it around, and then the babies are
    " hatched" in the ball and they feed on the dung. What a courtship!! .

To answer your last question, he was going around in circles as we were all around him taking photo's and the cat was being caught before he did any damage, so I think he did not know which direction to go in with all the commotion

Yes Joy! it takes better photo's , as DH pointed out to me if one doen't know the Camera. But it is basically same as the Canon in terms of "how to" if you know what I mean. It is just that the lens is better. The problem is the lens on the Canon are not very special. The camera itself is great but the lens less so. The Samsung is soooo heavy and the focus is slow. Not good for quick shots like the Canon. I need to know how to set it too ????? hope this all makes sense
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:15 am

It sure does make sense, Dawn. Apparently the lens on my new Fuji is a good one & this camera doesn't have any means of attaching another lens as it is considered that it isn't required. :lol2:

All I have to do now, is work out how the use the flash. S'pose a look at the the book of words might help me. :whistle:

Bet the dung beetle couldn't work out what was going on. Here he was trying to attract a cute girl & there were all these giants doing strange things. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 14 Dec 2010, 5:31 pm

Oh dear that book of words, in my case it is a question of knowing their terminology first :lol!: .

Mr Dung Beetle was probably so ticked off at us not to mention dizzy
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 14 Dec 2010, 8:35 pm

:lol2: Wonder if he ever did find a nice girl to give his gift to. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 15 Dec 2010, 4:13 pm

yes I wonder , I am sure he would have
    Joy