OUR IMAGES

Tillandsia airplants

Dawn

default Tillandsia airplants

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:43 pm

Shortly before I left I added some Tillandsia airplants to the two I had already. They are now hanging under the Coral tree. One was a Tillandsia tri-colour, and the other a Tillandsia concolour, the labels fell off so unfortunately I don't know which is what. But the flowers are very pretty. I bought these at a nursery in Kommetjie when we went on the false bay trip.

Last edited by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add an image)
    Dawn

default Re: Tillandsia airplants

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:44 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:44 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:48 pm

I have never seen this one flower

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:49 pm

Or this one ??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:51 pm

or these??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 7:54 pm

The ones in the last two images I have had for quite a while they have grown very little in this time and I do know that position is everything with these plants so hopefully under the tree will induce them to grow a bit better.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 9:01 pm

These are wonderful plants, Dawn. :love: The violet/blue flower of the second one is very similar in colour & shape to the violet/blue flower my tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill" has. :smile:

Your airplant tillandsias are really interesting & lovely. You know me & unusual plants. ;) Our tillandsia is one that, apparently, needs to be in a pot as it requires plenty of water. Must repot mine as it is running out of room!! :lol2:

Thank you for showing us these great plants of yours. They are fantastic & would look terrific decorating a garden. :bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:16 am

Aren't they lovely Joy. Yes, this flower is so similar to your one but smaller I think. I spray them every day with the hose?? I do know they are all different in needs this will be a learning curve for me. The usual one I have had for years is the only one I am used to.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 8:58 am

There is such a huge variety of tillandsias, isn't there?? All so very different to one another. Do think they are very hardy, thankfully. :smile: They also split fairly easily to make new plants. Well it does look easy when the guys on gardening shows do it. :lol2: Then again, they make everything look so easy. :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 9:23 pm

yes they do make it look easy, but they never show you weeks later if anything grew of survived??, well not usually. I am sure they do grow for them though. Amazingly for years one could only get the very common Tillansia airplant and now there are so many varieties popping up in all the GC 's.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 9:58 pm

No, they don't show you, whether or not, that plant which was so nonchalantly hacked in two with a spade & chucked into the soil, ever did survive. :whistle:

Haven't noticed any tillandsia air plants at our usual plant retailer but it is not very big & we have been avoiding it lately. :roll: \One time there were some small novelty air plants stuck on to knickknacks but these were called bromeliads but I think they were actually tillandsias. Was thinking of putting one on to the rock. Glad I didn't. :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

This Tillandsia is flowering now I am in the process of getting all the names of each one. I found a list from a grower in the E/Cape. Which will hopefully help me solve the name dilemma's they are like cactus so hard to ID

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:24 pm

That is a beauty, Dawn!! :love: The flower will look fantastic. :smile: Is it "living" in a champagne glass??? :whistle:

It will be great for you if you can find out their names. If anyone can do this it will be you. :bravo: You are a true plant detective. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:41 pm

Thanks Joy! :smile: I was really chuffed to see the flower there the other day. No it hasn't been living in that glass vase but I tried to photograph it out of the shade of the tree, and this was the only thing that would support it for me with the camera in the other hand . I was lucky as the camera is heavy and I thought it would blur. I softened the focus in Picasa around it though. I have seen them displayed indoors in containers like this. But I think it is happier sitting in the tree. :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:41 pm

Here is another view of it

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:42 pm

The flower at the base is quite thick in comparison with the top of the flower

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:59 pm

Yes. I would imagine it would be much happier living in the tree. :smile: These are great plants, Dawn. Do hope I run across some of them one day. Would be more likely to find them at a weekend market but we don't go to them. :sad3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 10:13 pm

There are a lot in Australia I have seen them on the web on Australian websites. I will send you a link when I find them again. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 9:58 am

Thanks, Dawn. I have now have the links stored in my Google Notebook & I can access them from there. :cool3: :thanks:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

Okey Dokey Joy! :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:46 pm