default Re: Moon Shots

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

:lol2: Know what you mean, Dawn. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

Here are some more moon shots. These were taken with my previous Fuji camera.

The rising full moon at twilight.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 5:34 pm

A waxing gibbous moon, at sunset, which is why it has a pinkish tinge. :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 5:36 pm

A waxing moon. It was taken through a gap in storm clouds. :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 6:23 pm

I have just been reading up on waxing and waning gibbous moon, never knew what they meant . It is very very interesting! Both of your camera's take some really good moon shots Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 8:56 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: I have a moon phase gadget on my iGoogle home page & from that the term gibbous moon really made itself known. Had heard of it before, of course, & did know what it meant but it wasn't a term I used much, if at all. :lol2: Did wonder what the opposite to gibbous was, though, so have just Googled it & it is crescent. D'uh!! Of course it is!! :sheesh: :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

This is the waning gibbous moon from the other morning. It was still fairly high in the sky at 9am. Three days later it is a waning crescent moon. It does pass through its cycles rather quickly, doesn't it?!?!

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

This is an absolutely fantastic shot of the moon Joy! :coolsign: How far did you zoom in?? , it is so close..wonderful !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D It was full optical zoom which for my camera is 18x plus I used heavy cropping in Picasa. The moon was about normal size for us & the sky was very clear. The hardest thing was to stop the movement, as I do not have a tripod, though, thankfully my Fuji has a stabilising action to help control the "shakes". :lol3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

That is a really, really good image considering there was no tripod involved :cool3: . Tripods are an absolute pain to be out with, but if this is the quality of an image without one, imagine the quality of one taken on a tripod :D.I am not suggesting you need a tripod Joy!

I simply detest getting the tripod out when I am out as it is awkward and it also draws people's attention toward one! :blush:.

Yes! this is a wonderful image,you have a great camera! and you know how to use it :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: Would really like to get the latest Fuji bridging camera but can't justify that at the moment. Of course Bruiser would like to have this one if I "trade" up. :lol3: Actually, I think tripods make people think the photographer is a professional. :whistle: Maybe I should have leaned up against one of the cocos palm trees' trunks to steady myself. :lol!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

nah no need for leaning on the coco palms your shot is excellent as is :good: :clap:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

:lol2: Did lean on one when I was taking the latest pics of the rainbow lorikeets feasting on a flower on one of the other cocos palm trees a few weeks ago. They have lovely big steady smooth trunks. Great for keeping a camera fairly still. :yes:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 May 2012, 3:04 pm

The rising waxing gibbous moon which is 98% of full. These images were taken the night before the so-called "Super Moon" was full during the past week.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Two lorikeet latecomers zooming towards the ghost gum tree.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 May 2012, 3:09 pm

Waxing gibbous moon, 98% of full, rising.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 12 May 2012, 6:14 pm

Stunning shots Joy! :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 12 May 2012, 9:06 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D The sky was actually bluer than it appears in these pics but the camera didn't quite capture it. You can see just how fast the lorikeets (think they were scaly-breasteds) fly as they are just blurs in the pic. :lol3: I didn't realise they were in the shot until later. If I had seen them I might have tried to wait until they were crossing the moon to take the shot. Probably would have fluffed it up, though. :blush2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 13 May 2012, 12:20 am

I agree the photo would have been amazing if the birds were flying directly across that moon! One day you will get one! I am sure, with having the birds going to the ghost gum regularly as they seem to do. I do like the sky colour as in this photo, as it goes so well with the black silhouette of the tree, almost a B&W done through the camera rather than made this way through a make over . good stuff :) :bye:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 13 May 2012, 9:13 am

Thanks, Dawn. :D Maybe one evening the moon & the birds will co-operate. :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

A winter waxing gibbous moon. 62% of full, rising in the eastern sky. Taken in the mid-afternoon.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

Great Moon shot Joy! It's amazing how a simple subject can produce such a pleasing photo
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 5:55 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D Took that pic yesterday afternoon when I was taking the pics of the approaching thunderstorm. It was rising in the remaining patch of clear sky. :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:59 pm

This year's image of the rising waxing "super" moon was taken the evening before it was 100% full & was appearing to be its biggest in a year which last year happened in May. The next night it was cloudy so unable to take a pic of it at its true perigee but this was close enough.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:12 pm

Very nice Joy!! stunning pic :good: :clap:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

Thank's Dawn. :smile:  Thought you'd like it. :cool4:  It did look great rising but it was a bit too cool to take any later shots plus the ghost gum was getting in the way. :lol:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm