OUR IMAGES

Miniature Roses ~ 2010

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Miniature Roses ~ 2010

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Jul 2010, 10:32 am

Here is the only bud n the Chameleon miniature rose at the moment. It is a very unusual shade for our rose but that is to be expected from this plant. :lol2: Last winter it flowered profusely. Not this winter, unhappily. :(

As is obvious from the leaves in this image, it is suffering from chloriosis at the moment. An expert has said that the leaves can all be removed when pruning so I shall do that when I can pluck up the courage to do the pruning. It is supposed to be easy & the "experts" say that it impossible to do them any harm when pruning as they are hardy plants. We'll see. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

Repotted this rose just after this image was taken. I used a special rose potting mix but the pot was soooo big I had to use some ordinary potting mix to top the pot up. Still haven't plucked up the courage to prune the plants. Will need Bruiser to carry it inside & put it on the bench so I can look at it without having to crouch down. That would be a bit too much for my back. :faint: :whistle:

The container I have used is more of a squat shape as I read where these types of pots are better for the roses. Do hope so. Was lucky to find it as not only was it the last in the shop, I, also, wasn't really looking for one. :D

Did ask Bruiser to drill plenty of holes in the legs & the part of the base of the pot, that is above the ground. Also decided to use some broken up pieces of polystyrene at the bottom to allow for better drainage. When we managed to get the plants out of the other pot, we saw some very healthy worms in its soil. Hope there were still some left in the rootball. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:55 pm

Here is the rose the next day. The colour is so changeable.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:57 pm

The day after the above image.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:59 pm

Still changing. This image was taken today, two days after the previous image.

Has some rain spatter on it as has been raining most of today.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 10 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

I stripped of as many of the leaves swith chloriosis as I could & pruned the bushes. It wasn't easy as they are so small. They have recovered well from the pruning & all the leaves are a lovely healthy green.

There is a bud which has now opened. Hopefully, it will be the first of this season's flowers. The Fiesta miniature is yet to flower. Think it needs repotting. :roll:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 10 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

A close up.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 11 Sep 2010, 1:21 am

:love: what a gorgeous bud lovely , Joy! Glad it has recovered so well! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 11 Sep 2010, 7:52 am

Thanks Dawn. Miniature roses are very tough & forgiving little plants. They are the best choice for newbie rose growers, in my opinion, as they bounce back so quickly from any setback. :bounce: :apgch:

This flower is yet another colour change for this Chameleon rose. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 5:47 pm

Joybells wrote:Thanks Dawn. Miniature roses are very tough & forgiving little plants. They are the best choice for newbie rose growers, in my opinion, as they bounce back so quickly from any setback. :bounce: :apgch:

This flower is yet another colour change for this Chameleon rose. :cool3:

That's good to hear Joy! The one I received a while back has already outgrown it's pot! I have a pot in mind but need to move the plant that is in it to a bigger one too, then I can repot the rose. I am not sure whether to just use potting soil or whether to give it a rose mix that has clay in it?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

I usually just use ordinary potting mix, Dawn, but this time for repotting the Chameleon miniature rose I used some specific rose potting mix which I found at our plant place. This has blood & bone in it, Don't know whether it has clay in it as It just looked like regular potting mix & clay wasn't mentioned. Shall use it to repot the Fiesta rose.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 6:22 pm

Yes I think I am going to use regular potting mix as we can only buy rose and shrub mix in huge bags and it is not such a huge pot I am going to use, and on second thoughts it is not going to be in such a hot spot. Here they sell it with clay in so as to help retain the moisture. One cannot buy potting mix with bone meal in it, you have buy it separately and add it yourself.
    Seeing as you have used reg pot mix and it seemed to work I am going to give it a try also Thanks!

Last edited by Dawn on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm

The rose potting mix I bought was in a reasonably small bag (10 lts I think) which was why I bought it. Trouble was the container I bought for the rose was so big, I had to add ordinary potting mix to fill the pot. :lol2:

Ordinary mix should be ok, Dawn, so long as it is a well draining mix. Miniature roses like plenty of water but don't like wet feet. I put polystyrene chunks at the bottom of this pot (I think :blush:) to aid in drainage. As well, Bruiser drilled extra holes in the bottom for me. :bravo:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 18 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

The miniature roses are bouncing back, from their pruning, ok. The Chameleon is doing better than the Fiesta so I have bought some of the rose potting mix to repot it. When I get around to it, that is. :whistle:

These are great plants as they can be repotted or pruned at any time of the year, except when it is really, really, REALLYhot. :hot!:

So far, the Chameleon has only had one flower & the Fiesta still, is yet to bud. No sign of more buds on the Chameleon, either.

A pic from yesterday which shows the lovely green foliage of the Chameleon. The flower has turned a real pink from the salmon of the bud.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 09 Oct 2010, 9:27 pm

There are, now, quite a few buds starting to grow on both the Fiesta & Chameleon miniature roses, though both have only one flower at the moment. Haven't repotted the Fiesta with the special Rose Potting mix yet. :blush:

Here is the Fiesta miniature rose in the sun.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 09 Oct 2010, 9:29 pm

The Chameleon miniature rose.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:56 pm

The Chameleon miniature roses are really starting to bloom now. There are quite a few bud clusters on lrge stalks now. Here are the first of them. This image was taken fairly early in the morning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:59 pm

This next image was taken about five hours later & shows the differences these roses ca show in their coloration. There is quite a marked colour change.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 3:00 pm

The following day, taken in the afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 3:01 pm

Another angle.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 3:02 pm

One of the other buds opening. These are amazing little roses.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 8:22 pm

Whaa! they are beautiful Joy! incidently my second favourite colour after blue. They are all beautiful.

My roses have been so awful in the last two years !!! But this season I may have some nice pics to put up . They all recieved a do or die haircut and it seems to have worked for some of them. :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 20 Oct 2010, 9:10 pm

Looks like all our roses were saved by a haircut, Dawn. :bravo: I cannot believe just how well mine have done since they had their pruning. :good: Should have taken a pic of them, after the event, but they looked so awful, I wasn't game to. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 9:27 pm

One of today's miniature rose images. The others are in Our Spring Flowers in the Flower Images forum.

They are looking so good right now. Such wonderful plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:34 pm

Here are this pair, of Chameleon miniature roses, a day later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:41 am