OUR IMAGES

A Trip around False Bay

Dawn

default A Trip around False Bay

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:06 pm

The weather was beautiful when we started out and remained nice throughout the day! It was a great trip around False Bay. From Black River Parkway -M5, we joined Settlers way -N2 and then took the Blue Route which is the M3, arriving in Kalk Bay via Boyes Drive. Which is a lovely little stretch of road just above the coast line that comes down to join the main road in the middle of Kalk Bay. Recently I realised how unaware I am of the details of where certain sections of the Cape begin and end. So I am learning a lot by taking photos and when posting them having to label them and show where they actually are . DH knows the area backwards as he cycles to this section almost every weekend. It is amazing that one can live in a place for so long and not be aware of these things. I think I knew more about London than the Cape at one stage Which is shocking isnt it! False Bay was named such because....

"False Bay, named such because early navigators mistook Hangklip for Cape Point, is the largest true bay in South Africa and one of the great bays of the world. It is no surprise to learn that the distance across False Bay (33 kilometres from Rooiels to Miller’s Point) remains a rather daunting prospect for even the most primed marathon swimmers - it has eluded almost 90% of those who have tried - and has been attempted 20 times with only three successes."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apart from the atmosphere which is totally different, the views and vegetation reminded me a lot of the piece of French coast called the Cote Azur. I thought this when looking down the cliffs and out into the bay, it reminded me of something when the penny dropped.

It is on the Indian Ocean ( my favourite Ocean). I read somewhere that a lot of the ships rounding the Cape in yester year used to settle in False bay, avoiding the treacherous weather on the other side and the crews would trek, taking four days or so to get to the refreshment station on the slopes of the Mountain in Table bay for supplies.

We of course only joined False Bay at Kalk bay and after leaving Kommetjie, returned home via Ou Kaapse Weg, which is a winding pass over the mountain putting us back on the Blue Route, heading for home. I always wait for the beautiful leafy section of Constantia and Newlands and Kirstenbosch. It is amazing to be under the shadow of Devils Peak, which always make one feel you should have been born to a better life Sigh!..... . Jokes aside I like where we are living we have a far better view of the mountain than the southern suburbs? I suppose that could be debatable with some people. . Another of my favourite sections is the stretch of road that passes in front of UCT, that beautiful building with all the ivy growing on it It is a split second that you get a glimpse of this building coming this way as it is a freeway and everyone is going too fast to slow and get an image,
    Click this link below to see an image of UCT
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Dawn

default Re: A Trip around False Bay

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:07 pm

A view of Kalk Bay Harbour from Boyes Drive

Last edited by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:09 pm

I have no idea why my camera is playing up, everything is always over exposed?? I need to get it serviced I think. It is probably over worked
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

Kalk Bay Harbour
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:12 pm

Looking across the bay towards Simon's Town

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

A view of Kalk Bay Harbour taken from the Anexe restaurant just below the old Majestic Hotel.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:16 pm

The Old Majestic Hotel which has now become Majestic villiage. The hotel has been converted into luxury living units
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:17 pm

Another section of the Majestic

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:22 pm

I loved this old tree, the waitress who served us just happened to mention when she was on duty the night before. What an amazing moon
    it was, that was what we missed on the other side, they got the whole harvest moon thing it seems. They were lucky they had no cloud cover like us. Anyhow thanks to you Joy! I was able to tell her why they had seen a most amazing moon event.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:28 pm

An interesting old shop front in Kalk Bay main street. Which is now home to my favourite book store, who just happened to have a branch in Kalk Bay

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:31 pm

The Brass Bell restaurant that suffered a huge flood out in a bad storm a while ago. They appear to be up and running again. But if you look at the following images it is no wonder looking at their proximity to the sea.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:34 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:35 pm

This beacon showed waves towering above it in that storm I remember so well!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:36 pm

One of the tidal pools adjacent to the Brass Bell
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

Kalk Bay railway station, this railway line runs right the way along this coast line. It used to be a very popular journey for tourist and locals alike. I am not sure if it is a safe venture any longer ?? There is also a walkway that runs all the way along the sea side of the rail tracks.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:41 pm

On Kalk Bay railway staion platform looking towards Muizenberg side

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:42 pm

Looking towards Simons Town

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:46 pm

Sunny Cove rail stop just having left Kalk Bay at last, we seemed to have spent a lot of time there.

Last edited by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:48 pm

Looking back on Kalk Bay. You can see the walkway next to the coastline in this image.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:49 pm

Coming into Simons Town.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:52 pm

On the way to Misty Cliffs , this part of the coast I LOVE!!

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:52 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 6:53 pm

Looking back

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Jul 2018, 8:42 pm