OUR IMAGES

Our Huntsman Spiders

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Our Huntsman Spiders

Post by Joy on Wed 30 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm

We enjoy having huntsman spiders in our home as they are great for catching other creepy crawly pests. They don't build webs so there isn't that problem. Of course, they are rather large which does freak out some people but they don't really bite, unless they have to defend themselves. If you are their dinner, then yes, they will bite. Used to love seeing one scuttle about during the evening but haven't seen that lately. Possibly because of winter. Now that it is spring we may start seeing them again. Using insecticides is not a good idea if you want them in the home.

We started seeing them in the shower, at first. Think they came inside to change their exoskeleton as we would sometimes find an empty husk.

Does it look as though it might attack?????

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Our Huntsman Spiders

Post by Joy on Wed 30 Sep 2009, 10:07 pm

This one stayed around for quite a while. We even named her Artemis, the Greek goddess of hunting. Trouble is some insect spray had to be used & she succumbed to its effects. She was 10cms across but they have been known to grow to at least 15cms across.

A couple of days later, in our kitchen.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 5:19 pm

This looks like a very small, baby huntsman spider, It was found in our bathroom handbasin. These spiders have a thing for our bathroom. :lol: We ushered it out of the handbasin as we didn't want it to drown. Seemed to be having some problem in doing it by itself. Kept sliding back down towards the plughole.

This image is larger than the actual size of the spider.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 9:37 pm

A new huntsman spider has found its way into our home. It is a beauty & looks to be about 10cms across. Probably a female as they are larger than the males & do tend to stay in the one area. I noticed it walking across the floor a couple of nights ago & tonight it was resting on a ceiling cornice in our lounge room. Perfect for taking a pic. :cool:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 7:18 pm

She is a beauty Joy! but.....OOOOH that photo makes goosebumps on my neck and arms :lol!: . A spider fell on me when I was lying in bed one day so I don't like them on the ceiling. Dh gets no sleep if there is one on the ceiling, I won't let him until it has gone . isn't it funny if you don't like something particularly how they seem to find you
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 9:19 pm

:lol2: No, it wouldn't have been much fun to have a spider drop onto you, Dawn!! :o That would have scared me half to death, too. :omg:

Our huntsman stayed there all evening & was still there when I turned out the light before going to bed. She wasn't there in the morning & we haven't seen her since. :think: We do like them, though. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 3:52 am

Diana and Artemis love those names !! Joy. I Hope she returns for you.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 10:23 am

As they are huntsman spiders, & probably female, I thought it appropriate to name them after the goddesses of hunting, Dawn. :lol2: :whistle:

Hope this one hunts any unwelcome critters that may find their way indoors. Think I saw it before I went to bed last night. :excited:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 4:25 pm

Yes very appropiate names , She will eat any mosquito's that is for certain. Our mosquito season is starting here, at least when the wind blows they dissappear.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 4:33 pm

We have been having a bit of a run of mozzies with all this wet weather, too. Do hope she will dine extensively on them. :cool4:

Mind you, I think they would only be small snacks for her. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 7:02 pm

Yes I think she definately would need a huge plate of them
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 9:03 pm

Well, she is still a growing girl, Dawn, as I don't think she is fully grown yet. ;) She is free to munch her way around our place, not that seems to be much wildlife here, so long as she leaves Bruiser & myself alone. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 7:49 pm

Gosh Joy you mean she is going to get bigger!!!! .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:27 pm

Ooooh, yes, Dawn. Think they can grow to about 15cms across. :think: :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:47 pm

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 6:58 am

Dawn :donald:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 23 Dec 2010, 5:44 pm

You can bet on it folks
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Dec 2010, 9:11 pm

:lol!: Haven't seen it for a couple of nights. It may be hiding. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 12:21 am

That's WORSE I like to see where they are
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 11:04 am

:donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

Not sure if this is Diana, the previous huntsman spider which we saw indoors, but as this is only about 2 & 1/2 months later, it most likely is. Then again, it may be another. :lol2:

Anyhow, Bruiser was the first to see it & took this pic of it, early one morning (in the wee small hours when he gets up :whistle: ), of it resting on the roll of kitchen paper.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 10:56 am

Late that night, of the same day, I noticed it on the bottom of our stove. It would be 15cms across, easily.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

A close up. We haven't seen it since but it has only been a couple of days.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

We now have a new resident huntsman spider which we are happy to see. It was found in our kitchen sink & was having trouble getting out of it. Bruiser helped it get out, using a plastic egg flip, but a leg may have been damaged in the process as it wasn't a willing participant in this rescue effort.

It is most likely a female as they are the larger of this species of spider & tend to be more territorial. The spider was seen in our home a few nights ago so it has been here for a while now.

Recovering from the embarrassment of having to be rescued. It was early in the am so was still not very light.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

The huntsman spider hiding for the day. We left it alone with the container turned back to the wall to give it some darkness & security.

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:17 am