OUR IMAGES

Drimiopsis bulbs

Dawn

default Drimiopsis bulbs

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:14 pm

Drimiopsis is "a genus of African bulbous perennial herb in the Hyacinth family" to quote from the description in Wiki.

The wiki article on it is very lean, so it was a waste of time to post it here. I have had these bulbs in some pot or other always and have no clue where they arrived from. My guess is that a few bulbs were in soil I bought and they just multiplied. They have never done much in all the years I have ever found these underplanted in the potted plants I have. But I think they have suddenly sprung up because I have been feeding the grenadilla plant where they are now underplanted the liquid from the little worm farm we have going.

Another article says the bulb is highly irritant so handle with care. Well I learn something new everyday. When ever I have had the little insignificant flower come up it never seems to open for me like the pictures I have seen on the web, but this year maybe they will as they look very healthy and fed!

Dawn

default Re: Drimiopsis bulbs

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:17 pm

Their leaves lose the spotted look under different conditions, less light I think less spots, and in some cases they just disappear altogether and the leaves become plain green.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:17 pm

Its flower stalk.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

A closer look

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

This is another lot of bulbs underplanted with the Duranta pot. These haven't been fed any of the liquid from the worms and this is how they usually look for me. It also gives an idea of what the bulb looks like. This image is a bit blurry. My camera settings are all wrong , and I am trying to find out how to get them back to normal

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 24 Jun 2018, 8:41 pm