OUR IMAGES

Sun Lovers

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Sun Lovers

Post by Joy on Wed 30 Sep 2009, 9:33 pm

The sun loving plants, we have, live on the outer edge of our back patio where they will get the sun from first light until early afternoon. They do seem to be quite happy with this arrangement. Our adenium obesum is a plant that needs the most sun so it sits in a position where it does get that. It would be good if we were able to have it in all-day sun. Ah, well. The other plants here are, mostly, our succulents & cacti, though they do need some protection from the sun during the hottest part of the day. This they get from the shade afforded by the nearby palm trees. We have a beautiful agave attenuata, four different aloes, juvenna, aloe vera, "Pepe" haworthioides X descoigsii & one unknown, crossandra infundibuliformis "Fire Glow", echeverias "Topsy Turvy" & "Violet Queen" & another unknown. We need a succulent expert!!  ;) Echinopsis seminudus, graptoveria tricolour, hibiscus schizopetalus, mammillarias hahniana ~ "The Old Lady" & bocasana ~ "The Powder Puff", our miniature roses "Chameleon" & "Fiesta", sedum clavatum "Giant Stone Crop" & our beautiful yucca elephantipes or guatamalensis. Many of the succulents spent time indoors but have really flourished outside & they are in the least sheltered part of the back patio.

There were, also, double petunias, marigolds & phlox. Alas, the petunias are now coming to an end. They have done so well & we have had a nonstop display of flowers for well over a year. The marigolds also did well but they really don't last long. Even so, I have just bought some more seedlings which will give us some lovely colour for a few months over summer. The phlox we had was "Vegas Lights" which I grew from seed. They were such a fantastic little flower & I have more seed which I shall plant soon. I promise. They should make a great showing through summer though they also flowered well this past winter.

A display of flowers from last December.

Some more summer colour.

Last edited by Joy on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Sun Lovers

Post by Joy on Fri 02 Oct 2009, 9:48 pm

The beaucarnea recurvata looks good in the early sun. This poor plant was ravaged by mealybugs but now seems to be free of the rotten things.

The Extra Dwarf Tom Thumb balsam, which I grew from seed through the winter, make a pleasing splash of colour.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Dec 2009, 9:28 pm

Pics of some of the sun lovers on the back patio, taken a few days ago. The sun is very strong & seems to draw the colour out of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Feb 2011, 9:37 pm

Some more of our sun-loving plants. Don't seem to take as many of these group shots as I should. :blush:

From left to right they are adenium obesum, crossandra infundibuliformis "Fire Glow", Fiesta miniature roses, echeveria "Topsy Turvy" flowers (they are the small coral/orange flowers) & a couple of hibiscus schizopetalus flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 11 Mar 2011, 9:36 pm

Our wonderful old pony tail or beaucarnia recurvata is often overlooked when it comes to taking pics. We have had this plant for at least 22 years & it was a mature plant when we were given it as a gift from a guest on the boat we worked on at the time. So it would be about 25 years old. The mandevilla have taken advantage of its long strappy leaves to wind their runners around them & climb. This plant has recovered so well from the dreadful mealybug infestation it suffered for a couple of years.

This pic was taken today.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm