OUR IMAGES

Our New Phalaenopsis Orchid

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Our New Phalaenopsis Orchid

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:21 pm

Here is our phalaenopsis orchid, now minus its beautiful flower spray. :sad3: Have cut the stem, as per directions, 5cms above the base.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 3:19 pm

Looky here!!! :dance2: There is a new leaf growing in our phalaenopsis orchid. :bravo: This is exciting for me. :excited:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

. That is so exciting isn't Joy!. You are going to love having this orchid. I can't wait for the new season when you suddenly discover the new orchid stalk starting to grow. yippee
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 5:15 pm

Am going to have to get some orchid potting mix & a new pot quick smart, aren't I, Dawn?? :lol2: :dance:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 5:37 pm

Well I think this is going to be one very coddled plant. Good stuff !! go for it Joy . Did I ever tell you a good thing I picked up off the net.

" when repotting sprinkle the roots with powdered cinnamon, it helps to ward off any fungus that could or may set in. "

I have done this with all of mine whenever repotting and it never harmed them at all. I have never had any root fungus or rot. When watering the cinnamon is still there it doesn't seem to wash off either."

You may want to try it ???
    But if you don't want to do it don't, you must feel comfortable doing it!!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 8:49 pm

Yes, I shall certainly give it a go, Dawn. Will just have to remember to buy some cinnamon. :whistle:

The phalaenopsis has some very strong external roots protruding from the potting mix. Are these the ones you would sprinkle with the cinnamon??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 11:03 pm

When I removed them from the pot to repot I took the bare roots and sprinkled them with cinnamon and then repotted with the orchid mix. I sprinkled the top of the roots of the cooktown orchid as I won't be repotting that soon at all.

I lost all the links I had a series of photos that were put up on an orchid site, it showed you how to repot a Phaleanopsis, she just held the orchid plant in her hand and sprinkled the cinnamon all over the roots, then positioned it into the pot and finished with the orchid mix.

Last edited by Dawn on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling grammar)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 8:31 am

Our phalaenopsis orchid was potted with a layer of sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot so I shall replicate that as I do have some available. The top of the potting mix it is in is covered in moss which I shall also try to not disturb. Actually, there doesn't seem to be much potting mix, at the moment, as it is in a very small container. Not that they need much, do they?? :lol2:

Using cinnamon makes sense as many of these sorts of spices have medicinal qualities & cinnamon comes from regions where orchids also grow.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

I potted one of the orchids with the orchid mix we get here, all it is , is bark chippings !!. The Orchid after a few weeks started to look poorly and I was told to sprinkle a little soil in there so that it had a wee bit of water retention So I bought African Violet soil which is light and loamy, and sprinkled a little in between the bark it did help. The Phaleanopsis' s I have had a strange mix in there when I bought them originally, I couldn't make out what it was, neither could the GC?? So this is how I compromised. Not suggesting you do this. I am sure you be able to replicate your "soil"
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 5:19 pm

The soil in the tiny pot the phalaenopsis is in, does not seem to be bark as it is a bit spongy. It will be interesting to see just what it is. :??:

Thanks for that tip about adding other potting mixes to the bark, Dawn. It makes sense. :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 7:24 pm

I had a cymbidium given me by my sister once as a thank you gift for doing some work for her. It looked like it was in a sort of paper mache type of medium ??. It died three weeks after getting it so repotting wasn't a dilemma for me

Without it sounding like I want to be critical of growers who sell to the public, or start a thread of bashing them. I am of the opinion that if you sell to the public then the medium it is grown in should be available to the people you sell to, especially like myself who is a novice.
    I am very sceptical of things like this and do wonder why it is not available?? if you recieve a plant like an orchid that has to be grown in specified ways it is not fair to leave a guessing game to the ultimate owner when it comes to repotting? as these plants are not cheap but any means. Just my opinion!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 17 Dec 2010, 9:00 pm

Could not agree with you more Dawn!! :bravo: Fortunately, the care tag that has come with our phalaenopsis orchid, has rather explicit instructions such as repotting it into well draining mixes such as fir bark or stones. Even talks about special fertilisers but I do not believe I have seen these in our plant place. Shall have a look when we next go there.

The growing instructions for our Wollemi pine, from the Wollemi pine website, mentions a special potting mix which had been developed specifically for the Wollemi pines. When I tried contacting the manufacturer of this stuff to find out where I could purchase it, they ignored my email & I never heard back from them. So much for trying to do the right thing for your plants. :mad2: :mad: :angry: They wonder why they go out of business.

Have seen plenty of potted plants, in the worst kinds of containers (such as glass with no drainage holes), to be sold, purely, as a decor item. To heck with the health of the poor plant. :mad4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:43 pm

Finally, I repotted this orchid this morning. Yesterday, we had bought some good quality orchid mix which is more than just bark. There is coir chips to retain moisture & the pine bark chips, which have been composted, plus other minerals, etc & a wetting agent. It looks pretty much like the texture of regular good quality potting mix.

When I took the orchid out of its clear soft plastic pot, I found its growing medium was 100% sphagnum moss & I was worrying about using the stuff!! :O When I managed to get it all off the roots, etc, I was amazed at just much of it was crammed into the very small pot. Cut off a few gunky roots, too. Hope I removed all of them. Completely forgot about the cinnamon, Dawn!! :blush: Should have read this topic before I potted this orchid. Don't have any in the cupboard so will have to buy some. Is it ok to just sprinkle it on the top of the soil mix??? Think the pot, I have put it in, may be too big, though there is a void at the bottom which is about 2.5-3.5cms deep. Oh well, we shall see. Fingers crossed. :whistle:

Here it is in its new pot. It is a special plastic made to look & feel like stone.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:47 pm

Here is the pile of sphagnum moss which was the original potting medium for the phalaenopsis orchid. The orchid was in the small clear pot to the left which sat in the black pot.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 5:20 pm

All looking good Joy! :) I am sure it will be all ok not sprinkling cinnamon on the roots. and , yes you can sprinkle cinnamon on the top. Although when I water mine it does not seem to sink in it seems to stay there.

I wish I could find Sphagnum moss here. Apparently it comes from Knysna and with all the rain thay have had the quality is poor so they haven't been harvesting, as a result no S/moss. They had Canadian S/ moss but I was told it would be too acidic and not to use it. But this one you have taken out of the pot is apparently OK.

Two of my orchids have a pot within a pot, I was told they do that because an orchid likes to be pot bound a bit, so they plant in a smaller pot and then position in a larger pot so the plant is not top heavy ?? This was told me by someone who doesn't grow orchids so treat the info as questionable!. But it did sound logical to me!

From all the info I have seen they say repot one size bigger than the previous pot, I went three times bigger on the Dendrobium through ignorance and nothing happened. ??? I am sure it will be ok.
    It is looking mighty fine in that new pot Joy ! :) enjoy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 5:40 pm

Luckily, I have had the live sphagnum moss for sometime & bought it, originally, for the carnivores. Was pleased to see that it can be used for orchid. Think it is Australian but there is nothing on the bag. :huh2: That is a shame your local sphagnum is not so good at the moment, Dawn. Did throw out all that sphagnum that it was potted in by the growers. Think it was double potted because the pot it was actually in was very soft & easily crushed. There weren't that many roots, either. :O

Do hope this orchid will be ok. Haven't had any problems with any of my other plants when I repot them into pots that are more than one size up. Even the originall Brazilian Walking iris plant which also loves squeeziness. :whistle: We shall see how it goes, I guess. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 7:04 pm

I am sure it will 100 percent OK Joy! as I believe that there is too much hype over growing orchids and that they are hardier than we think. I only menttioned the potting size as this was told to me as they said they like to be pot bound a bit ? As I mentioned the dendrobium didnt seem to mind, they are now well and truly bursting out of their pots. Do you think that yours was a baby phal maybe that is why it only has a few roots ?
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 7:05 pm

Joy not meaning you are hyping over them but in general other people and growers. This hype was very intimidating to me in the beginning!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:22 pm

Dawn wrote:I am sure it will 100 percent OK Joy! as I believe that there is too much hype over growing orchids and that they are hardier than we think. I only menttioned the potting size as this was told to me as they said they like to be pot bound a bit ? As I mentioned the dendrobium didnt seem to mind, they are now well and truly bursting out of their pots. Do you think that yours was a baby phal maybe that is why it only has a few roots ?

I agree with you Dawn, re there being so much hype about these plants. This phalaenopsis may well be a baby as its leaves aren't as large, or as elongated, as the second one we bought. Actually, I am not too worried about the size of the pot now & I feel some "experts" can get a wee bit precious &/or pedantic about such things. I have never felt that just moving up to the next size pot was that important for plants of any type, really. My plants tend to get put into pots that are at least two sizes bigger. :lol2: After all, they will stay in them for a while as I am not about to repot all of my plants each year. :whistle: They never look as though the pot is really too big for the plant, either. :smile: Even the orchid now looks as though this is the right sized pot for it. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 9:25 pm

Dawn wrote:Joy not meaning you are hyping over them but in general other people and growers. This hype was very intimidating to me in the beginning!

Oh yes, Dawn, I know what you mean. :cool3: Thankfully, you have been able to give me sensible orchid advice which gives me more confidence with growing them. :) Only hope the orchids realise this. :rofl:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 6:37 pm

:smile: I hope so too!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 9:06 pm

:good: ;)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 2:31 pm

The new leaf of this phalaenopsis orchid has grown well & is now about the same size as the other leaves. All we are hanging out for now is any sign of a flower stem to show. Maybe it is still ot cool enough indoors for this to happen yet.

It is the one on the top on the left.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 2:40 pm

Looks as healthy as the first pictures of the thread.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 2:45 pm

Thanks, Glad. Still itching to see a flower stem but I am thankful both of them are still healthy looking. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 28 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

I know the anticipation of waiting for that little shoot to show itself! It adds to the excitement when it does finally arrive :luck:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:41 pm