OUR IMAGES

Our New Phalaenopsis Orchid

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Joy's New Orchid

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 2:59 pm

Here are some more pics of our new phalaenopsis, or moth, orchid. It is a beautiful plant with very healthy green leaves. :love:

The potting medium seems to be a thick layer of living sphagnum moss with a lesser layer of growing medium on top. The pot, it has been grown in, is translucent so I can see its feet. :rofl: It has plenty of thick roots, too.

The healthy leaves, first up.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Our New Phalaenopsis Orchid

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:06 pm

Now, a parade of images of these beautiful flowers. :love:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:07 pm

These flowers are so photogenic, it was hard to stop taking pics. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:12 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:15 pm

Was trying to get an overhead shot of its "centrepiece". :)

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:15 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:16 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:17 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:18 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 3:19 pm

Last, but by no means the least, :whistle:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 9:44 pm

It looks a very healthy orchid Joy! The leaves look perky and bright. :lol: I think! gulp quite daunting giving advice on orchids :blush:

I think I see a mark on the one leaf towards the tip of it, it could be a scratch or it could be something else or it could be both. It looks like a pitting. Don't worry about it but just watch it! if the pitting area grows bigger then you may have to give it a fungus treatment as I had one that did that and it had a fungus, the pitting just grew bigger. The fungus on mine is now gone but it has left the mark on the leaf.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 9:54 pm

Yes it is pitting. Looks as though it has been pricked & it has healed. Shall keep an eye on it.Thanks Dawn. :smile:

:oops: I keep accidentally whacking the blooms on things, like cupboards, when I take a look at the pot. :blush: Am not used to how tall the stem is. :lol!:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Yes I find they are awkward to handle sometimes especially looking under the leaves. The medium in mine is mostly loose! So any tipping slightly sideways finds you picking it up off the floor. You have a very handsome looking orchid Joy!. Those flowers are super! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

Thanks, Dawn.:thanks: There were some mauve ones, at the same price as this one. but I liked the detail in the centre "cup" thingy of this one. :D In a more exposed area of the plant department were some even more expensive phalaenopsis orchids which didn't look much different to the one we bought. These were getting knocked around by a westerly wind blowing in through the mesh at the top of the walls of the plant area. Poor things.:apgn: One was even blown off the display shelf. :O

Ours has moss growing on the top of the medium. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm

oh dear wind, yes poor things I agree. I was told by someone with a lot of orchid knowledge that Phaleanopsis do not like wind. But isnt it funny how they always put them in a draught? :apgn: I have seen that happen here more than once!

I wonder what the more expensive ones were called! That would be interesting to know!

;)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 7:18 am

They were from the same growers & were just labelled phalaenopsis the same as the one we bought. Think there were a few more varieties but I only gave them a cusory glance due to the price factor. :whistle: :lol2:

The one I picked up from the floor had fancier cellophane/plastic stuff covering it than ours did. :lol2: The stuff on ours was plain. :( Maybe that was the difference or they may have been newer with the flower going to last longer. Who knows. :huh2: At least the cover protected them, somewhat, from the wind. Except when it blew them off the display stand. :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 3:13 pm

Cannot believe just how long these flowers last!! :excited: The orchid was in full bloom when we bought it nearly four weeks ago & it is still going strong. :cheers: It is looking just as beautiful as when we bought it. Wonderful!! :bravo:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 4:17 pm

Joy! I am so glad that your orchid is performing the way it should. It is wonderful the way they last what seems like forever . My new large Phaleanopsis is also still flowering, and since a few more buds have opened. Hooray Joy! you are hooked now
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 11 Oct 2010, 4:27 pm

:lol2: Was nearly tempted to get another one, Dawn. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 11:44 am

The first of the phalaenopsis orchid flowers wilted & fell off the other day. The remaining five still look wonderful. :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 3:24 pm

A second one fell off the other day. :( THEN, yesterday the rest all, very suddenly, wilted & have started to fall off. :cry2:

Now I shall have to research how to repot them & start looking for some orchid potting mix. Also get a lovely new pot. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 9:01 pm

The phalaenopsis orchid flowers are all gone. :sad: This happened a few days ago. They did last well though. Hmmmm, when do I cut the stem????? :huh2: :??:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu 18 Nov 2010, 12:11 pm

Will they come back?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 18 Nov 2010, 1:50 pm

Do most certainly hope so, Glad. Hopefully, if I manage to treat it right, it should reward me with some more flowers. They normally flower when the nights get cooler around autumn.

Have just read its care tag & it says to cut the stem to 5cms, or 2ins, above the base. Shall now do this & will look for some orchid potting mix. It is now time to repot it as the flowers are finished.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:21 pm

Here is our phalaenopsis orchid, now minus its beautiful flower spray. :sad3: Have cut the stem, as per directions, 5cms above the base.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:35 pm