OUR IMAGES

Maidenhair Fern Growing On A Rock

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Maidenhair Fern Growing On A Rock

Post by Joy on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm

The self-sown maidenhair fern is really flourishing. Do hope it will stay this way.

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

Oh my! I've never seen anything like that! Amazing and beautiful! :bravo:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Thanks Mary. :D It did it all itself too. The spore floated in through the front & made a home on our piece of rock. Kept it watered after the bird's nest fern originally on it died. This is much more attractive too. :smile:

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

:lol3: That reminds of a time when I was leaving my apartment and my neighbor was outside. He said, "thank you". I asked him what he was talking about. Turns out that my snapdragons had blown into his patio and seeded in his flower planter giving him snapdragons. :lol:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

:lol2: No wonder he was happy, Mary. Some very colourful, as well as free, flowers. :lol:

We had a huge self-sown maidenhair fern which took over a container, forcing out its occupants, except for one tiny zygo that had stayed there, hidden. The fern eventually died off due to a combination of severe pruning (by me) & slug & snail chomping. That is when we found the zygo which, thankfully, has now recovered, much to our delight as we have had it for 24 years. There are a couple of other self-sown maidenhair ferns in plants on our back patio. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

The maidenhair fern on a rock continues to grow really well. Have changed it back to its original white dish as the deeper dish was leaking somehow. Think its roots had managed to grow over the lip of the dish & were wicking the water out.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

It is looking so good Joy! :good: Still wish it were mine :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:34 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D We are very lucky the maidenhair fern spores found our rock, aren't we?? :yes: :lol2: It definitely likes the spot it is in, even if its growth is making it more difficult for us to go outside. :laugh: Bruiser's machete (which he doesn't actually have :lol3: ) comes to mind. :whistle:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:14 am

Yes I do, you just havn't found it yet :think:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 2:34 am

:lol2:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:36 am

:mad2: Oh, yeah, Bruiser, just you try using it. :cranky: :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:54 pm

we need a smilie with a referee 's whistle . just joking guys as I know you guys are also joking, dont take me serious , actually I know you wont :smile:. I edited this as I am in a teazing mood and it gets me into trouble :blush2: alot :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:31 am

No need to apologise, Dawn. We tease all the time. Actually, I was thinking of using this smilie :cheeky: but decided on the :cranky: . Of course, my rolling pin is in the same imaginary place as Bruiser's machete. :whistle: :sun:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

hee hee :D

This reminds ,me of when DH wants to prune the trees :) I race out there :D . He is far more conservative when I am watching ! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:45 pm

:lol2: It is Bruiser who thinks that I may have been a little severe when pruning the hibiscus schizopetalus or the mandevillas. :lol!: He doesn't like to see plants get "hurt". :pirate6: :beam: :rofl:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm

Ah well! then I am with you on this one Bruiser :lol2:

The thing is when DH's pruning is over and done with it always grows back better than it was before. I just can't bear to think I will have little or no foliage for a a month or so
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 7:09 am

Our lawn contractor now has a thing about keeping the hibiscus schizopetalus tree, in the front yard, pruned to within an inch of its life. He had his assistant prune it AGAIN yesterday even though it had hardly grown since the last time. Consequently, we never see any of its exquisite flowers, on it, as it needs its long, gracefully arching branches to do this. :grr:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

Oh dear, have you tried asking him not to ?. He obviously does not know? or does he ? it is very silly of him to keep chopping it before it can grow back. Yes they are beautiful when they are left to grow and droop over with the flowers. It is such a pity you can never get to enjoy them. :apgn:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 5:34 pm

It is pointless talking to him, really, Dawn, as, like most yard men, he does enjoy using his powered shears, with the extendable wand so they can reach anywhere. :roll: Plus, he is paid by the body corporate & it did take much effort on his part, along with pressure from some of the agents, to get them to part with any money to pay for yard maintenance apart from the stingy amount they paid for the lawn mowing. The place was a mess until he started to take care of it. It is just that he & his assistants can go overboard sometimes. :O

At least, I have my three hibiscus schizopetalus plants which he can't touch & they flower when they feel like it. :lol3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

Yes he better not touch them eh ! :mad2: :cranky: :whack!: ;)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:54 pm

That is right, Dawn. There would definitely be plenty of :x :mad2: :mad: :angry: :cranky: :whack!: :mad4: if that happened. Fortunately, he is very careful around my plants & doesn't even whippersnipper where they grow out onto the grass, as the succulents do, or where I have pots sitting on the lawn. :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Apr 2013, 3:47 pm

The maidenhair fern on a rock had a major setback a few weeks ago. Decided to give it some fertiliser & all of its fronds wilted. Had to remove them. Some fronds also had scale insect infestation, which certainly didn't help. There was one new frond left but it dropped off before it could mature, even after I had changed containers with new water so there was no trace of the fertiliser left. Even flooded the rock with fresh water.

All we had left was just a rock with some moss, so, imagine our delight when new fronds appeared & are still growing. Hopefully, we are back in business.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 14 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

Joy so glad it has bounced back like that :cool3: I, would have been quite upset if it hadn't, I am very partial to this fern you have :). :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 6:49 am

:D As are we, Dawn. :agreed: :yes: All we can do is :luck: & hope for the best. :cool4:

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:44 pm