OUR IMAGES

Maidenhair Fern Growing On A Rock

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Maidenhair Fern Growing On A Rock

Post by Joy on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

:giggle: Its full name was becoming a mouthful, Dawn :D Luckily, its rock isn't that big so that will keep it in check somewhat. We shall just have to work around it somehow, won't we?? :cool4:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 5:27 am

This is awesome Joy!

Not understanding the concept though.

I have a rock outside that has groves in it. I think I will bring it inside a place it is a flat container and add water.
    I will see if it will grow something.

Sounds like a lot of fun and your plant is simply beautiful.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:49 am

When we bought our lump of rock, Glad, it was set in a shallow container with pebbles in the bottom, to hold the water. There was a birds nest fern plant growing on the top of the rock & some moss growing around the sides. The birds nest fern died off, a few months ago, after we had had it for about three years. I decided to keep on watering the rock because of the moss & placed the container near our front entrance which is a floor-to-ceiling, wide, sliding glass door & window. Maidenhair fern spore tends to float around here & some have landed on the rock & started to grow. Much to our delight. All I need to do is to water & fertilise the rock. I water it from the top, usually daily, to make sure the rock stays wet.

One thing in our favour is that maidenhair fern often grows on rocks, or in the crevices, beside waterfalls.

Do hope yours will give you a nice surprise too.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

Thanks Joy. It stormed here and the yard is mushy so I will wait a few days to bring the rock in. I do know that moss grows around here heavily in shaded areas. Perhaps the rock will have moss. I will get a picture of the rock when I bring it in just in case it does grow something. I am kinda excited about the venture. If nothing grows I know what I can put in it to grow. Years ago I had a fish aquarium that I turned into a terrarium. It there were wild plants (small ones) that grew well. My yard is full of will stuff.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:18 am

That does sound like an excellent plan, Glad. I'd rather have a terrarium than an aquarium, anyday. :D :whistle:

You may be surprised at what may appear on your rock. I was certainly happily surprised when the maidenhair fern appeared. Ecstatic actually. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 1:47 pm

We bought our maidenhair fern on a rock a new dish, today, as the one it was in was leaking. It must developed a crack in it somewhere. Bruiser was able to pry it, fairly easily, off the bottom of the dish, to which it was glued. Took off some of the coating gloss, too. :lol: That must have been some tough glue!! Used all the stones that were in the dish & sat the rock on top of them. This new dish is slightly deeper so, hopefully, it will hold a bit more water. It needed topping up up daily as the water evaporated quite quickly.

Here are some pics of it in its new home.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 1:48 pm

Looking at it from the back.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 6:29 pm

Sometimes it is nice when things like this happen (the cracked dish I mean) as it provides an opportunity for a change! The dish you bought is so appropriate for it. It looks like a Japanese style , type dish which is so in keeping with a Zen garden! Love it in there ! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:07 pm

Thanks, Dawn. The funny thing was, although I was sort of thinking about getting the rock a new home, as the dish it lived in was leaking everywhere, I wasn't setting out to look for a new dish. However, we were at the "cheap shop" buying some handwash, etc (great prices for good stuff:)), this morning & as I was heading for the checkout I saw this dish sitting in amongst assorted bits & pieces & went ah ha!! :idea: It was only $2.47 & was just what I would have been looking for had I actually been looking. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Well done on the find . I love a good bargain too !! :good: .
    This is the way to treasure hunt for sure , keep your eyes sharpened at all times :idea: :). My brain is a filing cabinet and when I go into places like that, this particular filing drawer comes out :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:40 pm

These bargain shops can be a treasure trove of good buys. Did think that could be THE place to find such a dish. It was just so fortuitous that the right dish just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I wasn't even looking for one, at the time. :lol!:

We do know just how good you are in hunting down treasure, Dawn. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:14 am

Joy wrote:These bargain shops can be a treasure trove of good buys. Did think that could be THE place to find such a dish. It was just so fortuitous that the right dish just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I wasn't even looking for one, at the time. :lol!:

We do know just how good you are in hunting down treasure, Dawn. :lol2:

Yes ! I know you do Joy! :donald: I just can't help myself I get so excited about treasure hunting I am not responsible for what I post while talking about it :lol2:

I was excited about your dish too :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 8:04 am

:donald: Now, I might keep my eye out for some pretty pebbles so the old ones can be replaced. They are a wee bit discoloured, now, from sitting in water all this time. They are available in small bags. Don't need many. This would enable the rock to sit on the dish proper & absorb more water. At the moment it is sitting on the pebbles.

Of course, I could remove all the pebbles, place the rock straight on to the dish, put the pebbles back & see how that goes. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 3:55 pm

Have bitten the bullet & removed all the pebbles from the dish so I could place the rock straight on to the bottom of the dish. Could not believe just how quickly a layer of mineral salts were deposited onto the sides of the dish. This only took five days!! :O Anyway, I scoured them off with a kitchen scourer, washed the pebbles, which were a little bit erky from sitting in the other dish for three years & replaced the rock. Then placed all the pebbles back around the rock.

Here it is, all fresh & sitting pretty. It will now be easy to keep it clean with the rock no longer being stuck to the bottom of its dish. It will also absorb more water as it is sitting lower in the water. Hope I make sense. :whistle:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 5:24 pm

Yes I understand exactly what you are saying Joy!, those mineral salts do build up quickly! Gosh your fern has grown quite a bit. It is looking very good :). Just now we won't be able to see the dish at all it is getting so big :O. I do wish I had one they are lovely on that rock. Coloured stones would look lovely but those look nice too and 'au natural' I think I would leave as is if it were mine. :bravo:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:13 pm

The maidenhair fern won't know itself with all those lovely clean pebbles, Dawn. :D Don't think I'll bother getting new ones as these will do & they do look ok. With the rock no longer glued down it will be easy to remove it (& the fern) so I can clean the dish & the pebbles, occasionally. That will help to reduce the mineral build-up. :smile:

The moss on the rock will be happier, too, now that its roots are in the water. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

The maidenhair fern on a rock seems to be very happy with everything, as it is getting bigger & bigger. We won't be able to go in or out the front entrance soon. :lol2: Have been fertilising it with orchid fertiliser as that doesn't discolour the water. Perhaps the pebbles will stay cleaner for longer. :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

Gosh it certainly is Joy! :good: It is a perfect object as a centre piece for a coffee table in the sitting room. Coffee tables here have become less trendy and people have stopped using them but I still love them as they have decorating potential . :love: your MH/fern Joy! Wish I could replicate it but doubt I could ever do that !
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

Coffee & side tables are still used here, Dawn. You have to have somewhere to put your plants, your takeaway & your feet on when watching the TV. :lol: The table the MFOAR is on is right beside our front entrance & the fern gets good indirect light from the floor-to-ceiling sliding glass door/windows.

It is getting to be a bit of a squeeze to get inside now as we have the MFOAR, our fast growing dracaena fragrans massangeana, or Happy Plant, & our latest addition, the dracaena sanderiana, or Lucky Bamboo, newly potted cuttings, all situated right by the entrance. The orchids & the spathiphyllum are also nearby. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

The maidenhair fern has some spore fronds again. Wonder if it will spread its seed to some of our other indoor plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

Plenty of new growth on the maidenhair fern on a rock. Still has some of the spore fronds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 4:24 pm

The other day, during the early evening, the sinking sun was shining through the maidenhair fern on a rock & it was glowing. Do wish the camera was able to pick up exactly how wonderful it looked. The effect disappeared really quickly, unfortunately.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:17 am

Really lovely Joy! :) I know how you feel when trying to capture it exactly, it looks stunning in the photo too :good: . It has grown so much, it is looking very grand.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:09 am

Thanks, Dawn. It is growing so well at the moment. Hope it stays happy. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm

The self-sown maidenhair fern is really flourishing. Do hope it will stay this way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 9:44 pm