OUR IMAGES

Yucca Elephantipes

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Yucca Elephantipes

Post by Joy on Sun 29 Aug 2010, 11:15 am

This is an image, I took today, of our yucca elephantipes (guatamaliensis) which, generally, tends to get overlooked when I have my camera in hand. :blush: It is a great plant, or rather plants, as there are two in the pot. Doesn't mind the neglect it suffers & only needs the occasional watering. It does get fertilised & I do keep an eye on it but as it isn't the complaining type, it is all too easy to forget about it. One day, hopefully, it will flower!! :dance:

Actually, I should treat it more kindly as I have seen a similar sized specimen for sale at "only" $150!!! For ONE of them!!!! :o

Glad E Olah

default Re: Yucca Elephantipes

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 1:26 pm

Oh I did not know they could grow in pots.

The do well in my yard so they must be hardy plants due to possible sub zero temps in the winter. Our average low is between 15 and 25 but I have seen it get as low as 10 below.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 1:56 pm

There is two of them in that one pot. One day I'll get adventurous & try & divide them, putting them into separate containers. That will be a job as even though these yuccas are a soft tipped variety the tips of their leaves can still poke your eye out. :O
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 2:01 pm

Here are the yucca elephantipes or guatamaliensis in their younger days, when there was more room on our back patio. :lol2:

These were taken 3 years ago.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 2:03 pm

It is hard to believe this is two plants. Also, that I had this much room on the back patio. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

The yucca elephantipes six months later. The parlour palm or chamaeadorea elegans on the left was suffering from too much sun which turned the fronds yellow. It greened up when we shifted it to the shadier front patio.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 2:13 pm

In the first image it is now growing too big for its pot. The second image shows it in its new pot which it is still in. Definitely needs repotting. It is just a matter of finding room top place a larger container. :roll:

Look at how much room I still had two years ago.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

Eighteen months ago. A group shot of some of the dracaenas & the yucca elephantipes. The second image was taken a year ago.

Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 4:04 pm

Their roots are hard to get rid of too. My son is reconstructing our yard and moved the plants to a different location. Without realizing it he left pieces and they came back in the original location the next year. I am definitely going to try a couple in pots next spring.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 4:12 pm

So that is how to get two for the price of one. :lol!:

I love these plants. Soft tipped yuccas the size of mine are very expensive to buy here as they are probably considered "decor" plants for courtyards & balconies. Do see them on the balconies of holiday (vacation) apartments in our small town, as they don't require much attention.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm