OUR IMAGES

A Beautiful Brazilian Walking Iris ~ 2009

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default A Beautiful Brazilian Walking Iris ~ 2009

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 4:11 pm

Our fabulous Brazilian Walking irises have been flowering abundantly over these past few weeks. This flowering season is earlier than last year, possibly due to our mild, sunny, winter which ended with a heat wave where the temps here got to 38C!!!! In winter!!!!

Here is a movie of some of its flowering cycles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 10:22 am; edited 3 times in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: A Beautiful Brazilian Walking Iris ~ 2009

Post by Joy on Sat 03 Oct 2009, 3:39 pm

This morning we woke to find twenty seven flowers!!!! Even though it was quite early, most of the flowers were already open. Usually they take a few hours to open. Turns out, it was very warm today with a stiff hot wind & the flowers started to fade around midday. And, to think we thought, perhaps, it had finished its flowering cycle. ;)

here are fourteen flowers here. Some are still opening,

Fully opened.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 03 Oct 2009, 3:44 pm

More of today's flowers.

There are five in this pic.

Two shy ones.

Three here.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 03 Oct 2009, 3:48 pm

More pics from today.

Three flowers on the one stem.

Beautiful.

Three buds starting to open.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 09 Oct 2009, 9:33 pm

Well, I was wrong. There weren't eleven flowers, there were fourteen!!!! To think I thought it had finished flowering. Some stems have finished as they afre growing new plants.

Three flowers on one stem

Nine flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 09 Oct 2009, 9:37 pm

The nine flowers.

Two.

Three.

Four on two stems.

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Oct 2009, 5:39 pm

Any more today??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 3:54 pm

Well, I should eat my words as the Brazilian Walking irises have had another 28 flowers since I thought they had completely finshed flowering. One was a flowering with eighteen blooms!!!

Here is a pic of some of those.

Three on one stem.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:24 am

On the 22nd 0f October there were another six blooms. Thought this was, very definitely, THE end BUT it has fooled us again as we noticed a couple of buds this morning. Should flower tomorrow.

Some of the six blooms from the 22nd. We thought there were only three but found another three hidden under two of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:28 pm

Well, it most definitely did fool us as a week later there were another four flowers. Was extremely surprised to see the buds, yesterday, & thought there were only two, but...........................

Two here.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:30 pm

The other singleton.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm

The same flower three hours later.

The twosome.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:35 pm

The other singleton in its hiding place down on the concrete.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 01 Nov 2009, 9:49 pm

THere was a single bloom today which did fool us as we didn't see a bud yesterday. Many of the other flowering sites have quite large shoots growing, so they will have stopped producing flowers.

The lone bloom for today.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 2:54 pm

Think I can categorically say this year's Brazilian Walking irises' flowering season has come to an end. It flowered for more than two months, which is excellent.

This morning whilst sweeping some windblown debris off the back patio, I accidently removed one of the baby plants from its stem. Must have been ready for planting, as it came off easily. Dipped the bottom in some rooting hormone powder & p[otted it into a small pot. This will just be a reasonably temporary home until it gets established. One down & another twenty ++++ to come. Where will we find room for them all??? At least they can live on their stems for quite some time, until we are able to pot them all. Some of its siblings are in that tangle in the background.

This one is 26.25cms, or 10 1/2ins, tall.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm

Our main Brazilian Walking iris plant with its beautiful foliage. It has many flower stems which are now growing new plants. Some are rather big, too, but none, as yet, have any roots.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 3:13 pm

Took this pic, of last year's four baby Brazilian Walking iris plants, yesterday. They were repotted into one large pot three days ago. The reason I put them into one large pot was because they flower better when potbound & by the flowering season of next year they should have filled out this pot nicely. Besides, they will take up less room than if they were potted separately. ;) There are seven flower stems attached to these four plants. One of them was the one I accidently knocked off & have planted. This baby plant is droopy, now, as it needs to grow roots to be able to soak up moisture, but remains green, so am hopeful it is ok. The parent plant can be seen at the lower left.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 28 Nov 2009, 1:36 pm

The Brazilian Walking irises are now back into their beautiful foliage phase. An image taken this morning of the parent plant, the repotted offspring from last year &, down in the right hand corner, some of this years babies still attached to their parents. They look a tangled mess. :lol:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 8:44 pm

Well, a few days ago, I finally detached the Brazilian Walking iris babies' stems from their parent plants & potted them. There were a total of 22 flowering stems with about 33-35 plants in all. At least half of the stems had two plants. They have gone into 11 pots with some having three or four plants, others two or three & others just the one. We now have a total of at least 40 Brazilian Walking Iris plants.

Here is the current tangle on plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 27 Jan 2010, 8:47 pm

The overhead view of the potted babies, some are hidden under the large Brazilian Walking iris.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 3:47 pm

A pic of these beautiful plants in their "resting" phase before they have to start flowering. There would be about 38 plants here. This last flowering season babies are looking good. Their leaves are starting to stand to attention. They are the tangle at the front & there is 11 pots of them.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 07 May 2010, 4:07 pm

After having two good pots left after repotting the two curcumas into larger pots, I decided to repot some of the Brazilian Walking Irises from the small pots into them. One pot has four plants & the other has three. Now I shall have to sort out all the others. :D

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 May 2010, 2:33 pm

Moved the Brazilian Walking iris plants about the back patio. Nothing major just a bit of reshuffling so the curcumas could go into hiding for the winter. Decided to trim off the dead leaves from the parent plant to "pretty" it up. When I did this I discovered another baby plant, hiding "under its skirts", which was on a very short stem. This stem was nearly gone too. The longest leaf on it was 50cms long. Shall pot it in the next couple of days. :whistle: This makes it 35 plants from this last flowering season. :cool: :excited:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 May 2010, 3:42 pm

Have potted this Brazilian Walking iris baby. It is now sitting in amongst its siblings. :D Hope it gets used to having its roots in soil. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 May 2010, 3:46 pm

Here is the family portrait. :) The new found baby is in the front. The curcumas are also hiding in there under the leaves, getting ready for their winter snooze. :sleepy:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 24 Jun 2018, 8:38 pm