OUR IMAGES

Dawn's Stag Horn Fern

Dawn

default Dawn's Stag Horn Fern

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 6:23 pm

I have two Stag Horns, the one is not doing too well , it was not looking good from when I first bought it, and it never has picked up???
    But this one is growing very well. It loves being the shade house. I am intending to mount it on to some drift wood, but as of yet have not done it, it seems to love it in the pot. However one of my other plants in the shade house fell to a fungus of some sort and it seems to have passed it on to the stag horn. I have since cut all the affected leaves off. But this is how it looked before I cut them off. It has just grown a new supporting leaf and looks very robust still, so I am crossing fingers, that cutting off the leaves will halt any further fungal problems.

Dawn

default Re: Dawn's Stag Horn Fern

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 6:24 pm

This is the robust new supporting leaf.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

The staghorn fern, in the pic, does look ok, Dawn. Do hope it is doing all right now. Being an epiphyte, it should be fine in a pot. In our area they grow, naturally, on tree branches & trunks.

While I am sure you do know the how's of mounting a staghorn, here is a link, with how-to instructions, for those who (like me) don't.

Mounting A Staghorn Fern
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 5:35 am

A pic of my Staghorn that has just been mounted onto a piece of wood.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

The staghorn looks wonderful, Dawn. :excited: That is a great piece of wood it's on. :cool: Very artistic, if I may say so. :cool3:
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

Looks great Dawn love it!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

Thank you very much Joy and Bruiser. I am holding thumbs that it doesn't go into too much shock!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 9:19 pm

:lol2: Holding thumbs is a new saying for me, Dawn. :smile: Guess that is the same as crossing fingers. :whistle: If so, that is what I am doing. :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 06 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm

Here is a link to an sort of explanation on this expression

Hold thumbs

I use both crossing fingers and holding thumbs. Just depends what one comes to mind first. Once I said to someone ...I am crossing thumbs, then to correct myself I said I mean holding fingers. her answer was to me look I need some luck just hold everything
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 11:30 am

:lol2: I had a hard time just trying to follow the directions on how to hold thumbs. :rofl: That is definitely, an expression we don't hear in Oz or NZ, though, it might seep into our vernacular due to the numbers of South Africans now living in both countries. :D :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 3:56 pm

Joybells wrote::lol2: I had a hard time just trying to follow the directions on how to hold thumbs. :rofl: That is definitely, an expression we don't hear in Oz or NZ, though, it might seep into our vernacular due to the numbers of South Africans now living in both countries. :D :whistle:

Yes ! I am afraid you have to live here to understand our english sometimes
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 4:09 pm

:good: :donald:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:40 am

Well my Staghorn Fern didn't seem to go into too much shock, it's new supporting leaf stand is growing bigger by the day!

Last edited by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:41 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:41 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 8:09 am

That is great to hear, Dawn & it is looking good. :good: At least staghorns don't seem to be a fragile little fern, thank goodness. :faint:

Thanks for the update. :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 3:17 pm

How is your staghorn fern doing now, Dawn?? :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 3:23 pm

:hi: It's doing well Joy ! That curly supporting leaf not sure what it is called is growing bigger . No more stag horn leaves yet though. But the other plant I have in the pot still, is getting a new leaf. I want to do something with this one. I don't think it likes the pot much.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

Good morning, Dawn. :hi: It is good to hear that the mounted staghorn is doing well.The other may be itching get out of the pot & onto the wall. :lol2:

Have read that they are slow growers so your ferns seem to be doing very well. :cool:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:55 pm

Some of you may rememer that I had to unmount the staghorn as the ants had made a nest in "root section". I ended up having put it in a hanging basket and it is absolutely loving it, It is just in Orchid bark mix, here is a photo to show you how it has leapt ahead.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

That, most certainly, seems to be an ideal solution, Dawn. The staghorn looks really happy where it is & orchid bark mix would seem to be a good medium for it,after all they grow here on tree trunks, branches & the forks of them in the leaf & bark litter. :good: It is wonderful to see it growing so well. :bravo:

This is yet another serendipitous planting for you!! :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 12:20 am

:smile: Thanks
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:39 am

How is your staghorn fern going, Dawn?? I hope they are now giants in size. :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Hi Joy! The Stag horns are coming along very well thanks! the two smaller ones which now belong to my DD and my sister have got many more leaves but only bigger because of that. The one I had to re-pot because of the ant nest at the base which will remain mine, has also grown new leaves but until the hot weather arrives, I am not expecting it to do much more. :) When I get more time I will post some photos.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 22 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

That is good to hear, Dawn. So pleased they are all doing well. :cool3:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm