OUR IMAGES

Beautiful Views Of London

Dawn

default Beautiful Views Of London

Post by Dawn on Mon 24 May 2010, 10:37 pm

This is the " popular walk" along South Bank. I repeat this walk nearly every time I go, I just love it. I usually eat my 'picnic' on one of these bench's and watch the boats on the Thames. Those lamposts give it a very 'paris romantic' look. I love the whole feel of this stretch of the walk.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Beautiful Views Of London

Post by Joy on Tue 25 May 2010, 2:30 pm

Dawn wrote:

This is the " popular walk" along South Bank. I repeat this walk nearly every time I go, I just love it. I usually eat my 'picnic' on one of these bench's and watch the boats on the Thames. Those lamposts give it a very 'paris romantic' look. I love the whole feel of this stretch of the walk.

What a beautiful, &, by the looks of it, very busy, walk that is, Dawn. Can understand you wanting to go there, as it would be very pleasant to sit on one of those seats & eat your picnic while watching the passing boat traffic. Do so hope the guy, on the left of the pic, with what looks to be a dog lead in his hand, didn't allow his (?) dog to leave any nasty surprises behind. :apgn:

That is a terrific weathervane & wonderful little tower in Lambeth Palace. You sure do keep a sharp eye open for camera opportunities when you are out & about, Dawn. Wonderful. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 25 May 2010, 2:48 pm

Joybells wrote:
    Dawn wrote:

What a beautiful, &, by the looks of it, very busy, walk that is, Dawn. Can understand you wanting to go there, as it would be very pleasant to sit on one of those seats & eat your picnic while watching the passing boat traffic. Do so hope the guy, on the left of the pic, with what looks to be a dog lead in his hand, didn't allow his (?) dog to leave any nasty surprises behind. :apgn:

That is a terrific weathervane & wonderful little tower in Lambeth Palace. You sure do keep a sharp eye open for camera opportunities when you are out & about, Dawn. Wonderful. :D

This one on south bank was taken in June last year so the trees had sprouted leaves. It was the busiest I have ever seen this part of south bank. I am sure I have just been lucky, as I can imagine it would get very, very busy especially in the summer months. They are usually very good in picking up their doggy 'ahem' in London, it is because it is frowned upon not to, and the locals are usually very adept at frowning upon anyone whose does not comply to these rules.
    . They have special bins in the parks to be able to dispose of doggy bags, so I suppose there is no excuse.
    The worst for this I ever noticed was in Paris, but of course that was 20 odd years ago. One was always dodging one, but it was along time ago maybe things have changed by now.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 26 May 2010, 7:49 pm

This is a better view of this section of south bank it has been taken further back along the walk than the last image. It seems like the section closer to Westminister Bridge it is a more popular *stopping* place. This image also gives a better view of the lamposts with the top sections visible.

Lambeth Palace only just visible on the right behind the walls.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 26 May 2010, 8:21 pm

Westminister Bridge. Where Wordsworth composed this Poem on the plaque in the second image

Which reads:

William Wordsworth 1770-1850 - upon Westminster Bridge on the 3rd of Sept 1802.

“Earth has not anything to show more fair
    Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
    A sight so touching in its majesty:
    This city now, doth like a garment wear
    The beauty of the morning ; silent, bare,
    Ships, towers, domes, and temples lie
    Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
    All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
    Never did sun more beautifully sleep
    In his first splendour, valley, rock or hill;
    Ne’er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
    The river glideth at its own sweet will:
    Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
    And all that mighty heart is lying still!”

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 4:44 pm

A view of Lambeth Bridge taken from the Victoria Tower Gardens on the north bank of the river Thames. The Houses of Parliament are now to the left in this image.

A view to the right of a face on one of the buildings

Another face , this looks like a King? I always wonder who and why? its there, as these buildings didn't look that important to me! If you look at this bottom image there is half of the door open and what looks like a relief on the back wall of Neptune? Maybe it this building has something to do with the Thames. I think I am going to go to the maps and research what this building is?

Last edited by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 4:55 pm

A better view of Lambeth Bridge taken just before leaving the entrance on the west side of the gardens.

Above:
    Looking toward the Borough of Lambeth, well at least I think it is a borough?

The image below of the modern building I thought had a lovely look to it. Nice sweeping lines. I did know what it was called once, but have forgooten now unfortunately.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 5:16 pm

Lambeth Palace on the left in the image with St Mary's church which incidently has a Garden Museum! I was a bit sKint that day and the entry fee was quite high so I did not go in,
    just enjoyed the garden outside.

The little corner garden had a lilac theme to it which I thought was quite cute.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 5:36 pm

If we were on a tour , we would now be at this point, which is South Bank. I could not get this information board into the lens completely.

Sorry that first statement is a bit misleading, I actually mean the point at which this board is situated, my favourite south bank walk.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 29 May 2010, 7:29 pm

Just some other odd views of Westminister Bridge, before I leave it alone.

Some detail on the side of Westminister Bridge.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm

London's Christmas lights

Outside the Disney Store in Oxford Street.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm

Oxford Street.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:52 pm

Oxford Street
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Jun 2010, 11:52 pm

Dawn