OUR IMAGES

Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

How are your "babies", Tyler??? Hope your fruit fly "farm" is thriving, also. :luck:

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Guest on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 6:27 am

Joybells wrote:How are your "babies", Tyler??? Hope your fruit fly "farm" is thriving, also. :luck:

my fruit flies died for no reason ..
    their just getting settled in guess ill have to post some pics soon =]
    i just ordered a new light for my closet 8 bulb t5 2ft 16k lumens 6500k color =]
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 6:30 am

Thats a bummer T about the flys :sheesh:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Jul 2010, 8:25 am

Hi Tyler. Good to see you. :cool3: Sorry to hear your fruit flies carked it. :sad3: Hopefully, nature has provided some tucker for your carnivores. Outdoors, of course. :D

Is the light you ordered for your closet what we call a grow light or grolux?? My mother used to have one placed in a plant stand. Boy, did she have a jungle in the lounge room. :lol2:

My new VFTs seem to be decreasing in size. Don't know whether it is the potting medium (good quality peat & sphagnum moss) or the fact that it is winter. Our lowest min temp has been around the high 40sF. Maybe it hasn't been cold enough for them.

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 5:26 am

oh well they was to small anyways. and mine hangs from the ceiling so yeah.
    who knows?

mine thet are outside aint doing to well but the ones inside are doing just fine
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 8:07 am

Oh dear, that is a shame about your outdoor plants, Tyler. Do hope they manage to survive. Has it been too warm for them this summer???
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 2:45 am

Oh Wow! what an education , thank you for this info!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 2:47 am

Oh dear sorry! I think I posted in the wrong place!. I was responding to the polination of the VFT . Think I answered in the wrong place for this comment. It was very interesting! Thank you!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:04 am

Dawn wrote:Oh dear sorry! I think I posted in the wrong place!. I was responding to the polination of the VFT . Think I answered in the wrong place for this comment. It was very interesting! Thank you!

Not to worry Dawn, this is the right place for your post. :good: The post, with the link, was on the first page. So all is well. Tyler does have some really interesting & educational info, re carnivorous plants, in his posts, doesn't he??? :cool3:

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 4:43 pm

2x nep vent 1x nep judith finn 1x red piranha vft 1x dente vft and on the very end a D.Spat that the pic didnt get :( also my mom halfway killed the D.spat SEVERAL OF MY VFT SEEDS ALL OF MY DROSERA CAPENSIS RED SEEDS :(
    and my vigorous venus flytrap while i was gone for 2 weeks she didnt water them like i asked her to.....
    <--- cupped trap pink venus
    triffid traps and a large typical
    big jaws and sawtooth vft
    sawtooth
    nep judith finn new pitcher =]
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 4:51 pm

Sure are unique Tyler cool :love: Em
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 5:33 pm

Gosh, Tyler you have some really wonderfully healthy looking carnivores. They are all fantastic!! :dance017: Don't think I have ever seen VFTs standing up so high. :good: Thanks for posting the pics. It is good to see them looking so great. :bravo:

What potting medium do you use?? I was thinking of repotting mine into just peat moss instead of the peat & sphagnum mix. Am wondering if that it why they are shrinking. :??:

That is a terrible shame about your poor plants & seeds. Sorry to hear it. Has there been any recovery??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 5:34 pm

WOW! Tyler that one standing in front of the water bottle has some serious FANGS . Oops ! just seen it again in this last Photo it is actually pitcher plant, it is pretty awesome.

Nice plants

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 7:34 pm

Joybells wrote:Gosh, Tyler you have some really wonderfully healthy looking carnivores. They are all fantastic!! :dance017: Don't think I have ever seen VFTs standing up so high. :good: Thanks for posting the pics. It is good to see them looking so great. :bravo:

What potting medium do you use?? I was thinking of repotting mine into just peat moss instead of the peat & sphagnum mix. Am wondering if that it why they are shrinking. :??:

That is a terrible shame about your poor plants & seeds. Sorry to hear it. Has there been any recovery??

i use 50% peatmoss 25% chopped LFS and 25% sand
    i also use 50% peatmoss and 50% perlite
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 8:56 pm

Many thanks Tyler. Had to Google LFS & that is the stuff I have been using 50/50 with peat moss. Didn't chop it though. The sand & gravel place up the road may have some river sand. There is plenty of sand where we live but it is all beach sand. :roll:

May have to look for some perlite, as well.

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 3:34 am

Joybells wrote:Many thanks Tyler. Had to Google LFS & that is the stuff I have been using 50/50 with peat moss. Didn't chop it though. The sand & gravel place up the road may have some river sand. There is plenty of sand where we live but it is all beach sand. :roll:

May have to look for some perlite, as well.

i bought a 75 pound bag of sand from lowes from our beaches down here for $3! :) any sand will do just put it in a trash can lid or something and wash it really well same with the LFS and peat lfs dont have to be chopped but i do prefer to chop mine :D

only like 5 little seedlings are alive but thats okay when i got the 2 new nepenthes and venus fly traps i also got a pack of their new 2010 seeds mixed pack also drosera intermedia seeds plus i still have drosera capensis red seeds
    and as soon as i can get a light for my topshelf ill be starting a big plastic container full of mixed carnivores!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 10:14 am

Thanks for those tips, Tyler. Think a small bucket of river sand will be plenty for me. :D Thing is, although we are surrounded by miles & miles of ocean beaches, it is illegal to remove any of the sand. :roll:

I am glad some of your seedlings survived but, I guess, you now will have a bit more room for your new seeds. ;) The mixed carnivores will look absolutely fantastic!! :good:

:oops: Forgot to ask if you had a good time while you were away?? :smile:

Post by Guest on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 4:04 pm

this is big jaws sawtooth pink venus cupped trap and judith finn when they first arrived
    this is all of them now
    sawtooth
    sawtooth overall
    big jaws (or once used to be)
    big jaws ^
    pink venus
    pink venus
    pink venus (yes again i like it :) )
    cup trap
    nepenthe judith finn (new pitcher colored new pitchers forming =])
    dentate (fairly new to collection while i was taking the picture i was looking down and saw the trap thats infront of the name label close all of a sudden and i went down and looked and it had caught a fly :O)
    red piranha (got same time as dentate)
    ventricosa (#1)
    ventricosa (#1 with small plantlets)
    ventricosa (#2)

little update
    yes i had fun while i was away to my dads hehe.

these show timeline of how much theyve grown and since ive got them :O
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 4:13 pm

Wow they are heaps bigger, EH mate :bravo: Lookin good
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 4:31 pm

:hi: Tyler, good to see you!!

Oh my goodness, your carnivores sure have grown!! :cheers: They are looking absolutely fantastic!!! :cool3: Doubt there would be many flies left by now. :lol2: I noticed that VFT which had just trapped a fly when you were taking its pic, seems to have a few traps closed. It is one well fed plant. :good:

Many thanks for the pics. :photos: The plants look great!! :excited:

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Sep 2010, 12:14 pm

actually when they need to be fed i open my bedroom window and alot of flys like to go into the closet lol
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 10 Sep 2010, 1:09 pm

:donald: Kamikaze flies!!!! :rofl:

Good one, Tyler!! :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 06 Nov 2010, 4:17 pm

How are your carnivores, Tyler??? Getting them tucked in for winter?? :smile:

Post by Guest on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

Help ! I think my Venus Fly Traps are in trouble
    They started off so well, with alot more heads. the stem of the flower grew really long ! close to blooming...then one of my flat mates pulled the steam and it broke. i had noticed some of the heads were turning yellow, so i plucked them off to save the rest of the plant. i still have new heads growing, but they are small, look weak etc. i keep a fairly warm room, and keep the soil moist, and in the sun. anyone have any ideas ? when i look at other venus fly traps, they just look much healthier and stronger than mine -->
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:57 am

Your Venus Fly Trap looks a little beauty for early spring. The main requirement they really need is plenty of non-chlorinated or non-fluoridated water. As even bought bottled water contains chlorine we use rainwater for our VFT & sarracenia pitcher plant. Do not fertilise them either. They get all their nutrients from the insects they trap. Don't let your friends "tease" the poor thing by putting their fingers in the traps. :no: This stops them from being able to catch insects as the traps stay shut for several days & is a waste of their expended energy. :yes:

I never let mine flower as this will weaken the plant & they only need to flower if you intend to collect seed which I really don't recommend. The traps do die off eventually & I wait for the them to blacken before I remove them. You are coming out of winter & your VFT should start to grow more traps through spring & summer. They do appreciate the sun but not too hot, of course. At the moment it looks fine for this time of the year. Next winter place it where it will get cool as they like a cold, but not frozen, winter. Their natural habitat is the Carolinas of the USA.

Oh yes, don't use fly spray around them & be careful of sprayed flies getting into the traps. They will kill it.

PS Your post found its way into my Spam folder for some strange reason. I chastised Mr Google severely & hope it doesn't happen again. :laugh:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:47 am