OUR IMAGES

Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Joy on Wed 05 May 2010, 11:59 am

:lol: Bruiser is the same with his computers. :whistle:

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Guest on Fri 07 May 2010, 1:28 am

just figured out i didnt kill one just made 3 leaf cuts
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 07 May 2010, 8:00 am

Excellent, Tyler!! :apgw: Glad it is still alive. :excited:

Looked at our remaining pot, this morning, which had had a VFT in it, & the plant is still there though it is very, very tiny. It has the smallest traps I have ever seen. Our Pacific brown ants are equally tiny so maybe it is eating them. :lol: Do think it is too tiny for that, though, even if the ants could swim through its swamp. :whistle:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 08 May 2010, 3:05 pm

There are a couple of pics, I posted in the Our Venus Fly Traps topic, you may be interested in, Tyler. One is of our poor teeny, tiny VFT & the other is of two new ones we bought today. The new ones are in pots that are only 2 & 1/2ins across & have some roots coming out of the bottom. Do you think it would be ok to repot them?? The pots they are in are too small for them to sit outside. Do have both peat moss & sphagnum moss & good pots for them.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 09 May 2010, 5:25 am

Wow!! Tyler... you like Joy are into these amazing plants!!. She is going to love having a buddy who shares this interest, she loves these kind of plants so much. I failed miserably with them , but I am also fascinated by them!!. Look forward to seeing your VFT's. You get amazing weather in your part of the USA. Not too up on your weather, but my DH has been to your part of the country, I am sure he said it gets very humid an all. Ideal I should imagine for the likes of the VFT.

Post by Guest on Mon 10 May 2010, 4:56 am

humidity is around 50 or less here i do believe
    and yes i think it would be wise to replant them it may stun them for a few days but that would be about it turns out my plants and stuff did get shipped didnt check the mail on thursday and checked it on friday and they WAS THERE

FINELY PACKAGED 3 plants+1 free sundew plant and fruitfly medium/wingless fruitflies

the typical venus fly trap - small i got for $5 has 4 traps on it hehe and they are entirely DEEP DEEP red they large triffid looks good also and the medium aswell (THEY TOOK LEAF CUTS FROM IT D: damnz them) hehe ohwell they came in a plastic bag rubberbanded together by 1 band wrapped up in sphagnum moss then they was individually banded and wrapped in cloth ( paper towels most likely) i just unwrapped them stuck them in the pots sphagnum and all and they seem to be doing fine will get pictures sometime.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 10 May 2010, 5:01 am

Good to see they arrived ok mate,Joy is over the moon with her new ones I can see cuttings coming up LOL
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 May 2010, 8:23 am

Hi Tyler. :hello: So glad your plants arrived safely. It does sound as though they were well wrapped up, too. :good:

Did you manage to see the pic of my new VFTs as well as the one of the teeny traps of my old one, yet?? :D The new ones are a great looking red colour. :excited: Much more red than the previous ones I had.

Shall repot the new ones in a couple of days in a mix of the peat & sphagnum mosses. Have them sitting outside at the moment so they can get used to their new home. Thanks for your advice, Tyler. :)

Post by Guest on Mon 10 May 2010, 10:50 am

yes i did and they look very nice =]
    all of my plants used a total of 2 gallons between friday and sunday :O

working on cleaning out my closet then i gotta hang shelfs and get some fluorescents hung up and order some medium mix and ill be good to tissue culture many many plants

the small typical i got has DARK red traps i found it quite interesting because typicals are usually not red but green and red on the inside these are completely red

i would like to get some of the fangs from where you live their quite nice looking be willing to pay for them if you think they would let you mail 1 or 2 of those suckers hehe and a little extra for the trouble hah. ive called about everyone place near me or within 75 miles and i couldnt find anyone with any fly traps home depot said they was getting some but they dont know when. i want more and more and more =] i cant get enough!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 May 2010, 11:34 am

That sounds like a plan, Tyler. A closet would be a great spot to cultivate your carnivores. :good: The previous Fangs I had were the ones with the red inside the traps & green on the outside so it is nice to see my new ones have the red traps. :cool:

Having never shipped living plants overseas I would be extremely nervous about doing so, Tyler. :apgn: Here is the URL for the company that grew the VFTs I bought. It is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Don't take any notice of the home page but click on to Carnivorous Plant in the menu on the left. It will show you a such a huge range of carnivorous plants, you will be over the moon. :excited: They claim to be the world's largest exporter of carnivorous plants & will, therefore, have the knowhow about how to safely send these precious plants. :D
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 10 May 2010, 11:51 am

Just went further into their export section & they have a minimum order of $AU500 plus other costs such as shipping & the plant certification. Might not be the way to go, Tyler. Sorry.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 10 May 2010, 11:59 am

! Bummer :bad:

Post by Guest on Tue 11 May 2010, 5:10 am

Joybells wrote:That sounds like a plan, Tyler. A closet would be a great spot to cultivate your carnivores. :good: The previous Fangs I had were the ones with the red inside the traps & green on the outside so it is nice to see my new ones have the red traps. :cool:

Having never shipped living plants overseas I would be extremely nervous about doing so, Tyler. :apgn: Here is the URL for the company that grew the VFTs I bought. It is www.collectorscorner.com.au Don't take any notice of the home page but click on to Carnivorous Plant in the menu on the left. It will show you a such a huge range of carnivorous plants, you will be over the moon. :excited: They claim to be the world's largest exporter of carnivorous plants & will, therefore, have the knowhow about how to safely send these precious plants. :D
    http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/sales/salesplants.htm hehe they got nice plants + fangs ill get some from there along with a pink venus flytrap :O
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 11 May 2010, 8:38 am

They certainly do have a huge selection to choose from, don't they, Tyler?? Noticed the rare double trap had sold out, for a mere $100. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Thu 13 May 2010, 12:39 pm

indeed, today my fruit fly culture started to hatch wingless fruit flys =]

venus fly trap flower is starting to open. their all doing good
    i still think the small typical is a small aki ryu red dragon their all completely red so is it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 May 2010, 1:57 pm

It sure does seem as though it could be a red dragon, Tyler. They look to be a very interesting plant. My new ones have a few red traps but they are still small so it is hard to tell what they will be. Your fruit fly hatchery is doing well with results already. :cheers: :cool: That should make the VFTs very happy. :lol:

Post by Guest on Thu 13 May 2010, 10:32 pm

yeah i mean it has 4 traps (OPEN) and one of the 4 just opened it was a little green now its getting solid red im about to email the place lol

the first venus fly trap i bought was a vigorous along with my lil pitcher and its first trap opened today and it has like 9 new trap shoots coming out of it

the gnats around my brother car seem to be really interested in the sundew considering 4 little suckers have already landed on it
    SUNDEWS are fast fast fast fast growers i see alot of new growth on it already.

also as soon as i can get some test tubes ill be making alot more wingless fruit fly cultures if you want one joy =] one female lays 500 eggs a week and 1 day after they hatch they start having eggs and the medium that i bought was only $4 =]

my pitcher plant is a "Scarlet belle" 10" tall 15 inch wide A carnivorous vamp! Sultry red veined pitchers overlaid with intricate
    silver mesh add color
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 May 2010, 7:52 am

The pitcher plant "Scarlet Belle" does look a lot like the one I have USED to look like. It hasn't been the same since it had that strange & interesting flower. :( We shall see if it returns to normal this coming spring, otherwise it'll get tossed. :cranky: :lol:

Thanks for the offer of some fruit fly culture. Can only imagine the reaction of the Customs & Quarantine people!! :whistle: Bruiser said they have them here but I think I'll let the carnivores look after themselves. We do have plenty of flies around. ;)

Your carnivores seem to be doing great & are really stirring my interest. There are often some very interesting carnivorous plants for sale at our favourite plant store.

Post by Guest on Fri 14 May 2010, 11:11 pm

i cant find any sort of fly traps around here. and you are very lucky THOSE ARE VERY VERY VERY nice flytraps Mam compared to some of the ones of pictures ive seen when people first got "Fangs" they look nothing close to that.

and the dude said its not usual but even typicals can show all red coloring while lil.

ok now my medium one is starting to turn red to, their in full sun all day from sunrise to sunset =] and the heat doesnt seem to be bothering them yet, if it gets to hot during the summer i have a NICE SPOT in the dog pin for them all nice and shady/buggy

i am enjoying seeing the sundew it is magnificently growing fast.
    so is the first VFT i bought which was a small vigorous it came with like 2-3 very little traps on them
    and they died off and it didnt do anything for a few days then it started with a new one and its doing fine now along with the other 12 new ones coming up =]
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 15 May 2010, 10:07 am

Guess we were lucky with our purchase then, Tyler. All of the trays of VFTs for sale had plants with umpteen traps. It was hard to choose which one to get. That is why I grabbed two of them while there was such a choice.

You certainly have everything well thought about caring for your VFTs & they are lucky to be able to get full sun all day. Mine can only get the morning sun. The Fang care tag says they should be kept in a hot sunny position, indoors or outdoors. Guess mine miss out there due to the lack of sun from early afternoon though it is still warm.

Post by Guest on Sun 16 May 2010, 4:10 am

yeah went to a nursery yesterday after getting a new bedroom set and they had a pitcher plant that wasnt for sale and they asked me if i wanted to sell them venus fly traps for $10-15 each once i get some for sale also the offered me a job next summer

i think morning sun is better then afternoon sun anyways because its cooler

so whenever i clean out my closet im going to have about $1400 to spend to start tissue culturing venus fly traps
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 16 May 2010, 7:15 am

That is great news, Tyler. :excited: Better start cleaning out your closet, real soon, eh. :whistle: You are going to be a commercial grower before you know it. Can see it now, VFTs growing in every available space in your home. :D $10-15 per plant is a terrific price to be paid. They must retail them for big money. Good to see your passion for carnivores could be paying off. :cool3:

All my plants seem to do well with just morning sun. The afternoon sun here can get very hot, even during winter.

Post by Guest on Sun 16 May 2010, 11:12 am

yeah i got only one plant atm that cant stand it and its the medium

TURNS OUT the small is a aki ryu (red dragon)
    looked at some pics and compared them and sure enough looks exactly alike. will post pics tonight
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 16 May 2010, 11:26 am

Good news, Tyler. They are an attractive plant &, I'd imagine, more expensive than the more common VFT varieties. That would be quite a coup if you got it for the same price as the others, wouldn't it?? :D :whistle:

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Post by Guest on Sun 16 May 2010, 1:39 pm

top left akai ryu top right medium typical
    bottom left large triffid bottom right sundew
    akai ryu look at pics on the net and tell me this isnt one...

triffid-large
    sundew i dont know what type.
    medium typical
    pitcher compared to finger
    the vigorous you cant see all the little ones
    fruit fly culture
    a look inside.
    i took more but i dont really feel like uploading them all :D

opps forgot the cursed flower pic -.-
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 16 May 2010, 2:03 pm

Thanks for posting these pics, Tyler. Your plants look very healthy with their spring growth coming along. :cool3: Do like seeing them. Are the last two pics of your fruit fly culture??

Posting pics can be quite time consuming. Which method do you use?? The Image or Host An Image?? The latter is a tiny bit complicated, I'm afraid. Took me a little while to work it out so I could write the instructions. :lol: Dawn, Bruiser & I have our pics in Picasa web albums & access them from there using the Image function. That is much simpler.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:33 pm