OUR IMAGES

Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

default Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Guest on Sun 02 May 2010, 7:58 pm

Medium - 75-25 Peat moss - grit sand- or 50-50 sphagnum peat moss and sphagnum moss
    i recommend buying a bale of Canadian Sphagnum Peat moss nothing but pure peat the smaller bags usually are from miracle grow and other places that could have potentially harmful factors for your CP - Carnivorous plants
    use only disstilled or rain water its best for the plants tap water can be substituted but suggest getting a RO - Reverse osmosis and then you can just get water from your sink and RO it. if you dont have a RO and using Tap suggest repotting every year.
    Also for mild frost protection Sphagnum moss ontop of the medium mixture also holds 20 times its weight it water to help keep moist plants ordered online and shipped bare root usually come wrapped in sphagnum moss can also be applied inside of the hole to help repotting,potting.

How to Take a VFT-Venus Fly trap - Leaf cutting.
    Find a nice petiole (with a trap) snip it off.
    dip the end into some kind of rooting hormone
    lay the petiole in a pot on top of the soil and in about 6 weeks you will start seeing new growth from the end of the petiole even if it looks dead it isnt leave it there and wait.
    will Provide pictures whenever i can for how to take leaf cuttings.

- Rare type of Picture plant - they provided the name but i dont remember it its still small but you can see new grow behind the tallest green mini pitcher id call it lol it looks gray because all of that was 1 day new growth which was yesterday.

overview picture of all of the ones i have Currently and one of the traps in the top right corner has a mosquito exoskeleton left in it from a healthy meal =]
    notice the 20cm stalk, its to late to cut it off its going to flower and most likely not survive the process as most VFT dont. but if a stalk has reached 20cm you can cut it off but you should cut them off ASAP as low as you can STALK is just a waste of the plants energy and which most plants dont recover from but still possible will look very rough for up to a year after flowering so i suggest cutting the stalks off ASAP mines getting cut tomorrow and repotted and separated as the was in the nursery i got them at since last year was well adapted and had grown into more plants i got one for $6.99 and the others for $9.99 one of them had 3 plants 2 of them had 2 the smaller one and the pitcher plant came online from a SHITTY SITE didnt order from them this time i ordered from http://www.carnivorousplantnursery.com/index.htm they will give a free sundew educational tissue culture to grow too. also if you dont want to order offline id go to a local nursery go to all the local ones they should usually have them regularly,if your looking for a specific type ask the people at the nursery to see if they can ordered a specific type when they order theirs next and if they cant or they wont i guess you have to get them offline i havent been back yet but as soon as i go back definitely going to ask about different variations of Fly traps that they can order.
    found it interesting how this trap is closed with the guard hairs sticking straight up and not closed like the others.
    trap peeling itself open after finishing a meal =].
    Bruce

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Bruce on Sun 02 May 2010, 9:03 pm

Love it can't wait for more pic's :love:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants,Sundews Information and growing tips.

Post by Joy on Sun 02 May 2010, 9:26 pm

What terrific information you have supplied us with, Tyler. Thank you very much for that. Now I know it wasn't me that killed my VFT. It was its flower!!!!!! :mad: I did let all of my carnivores flower, last summer & have paid the price. :blush2: Your VFTs look extremely healthy.

One of my pitcher plants had an amazing flower last year & it arrived before I knew it was there. There is a few pictures of it in my Sarracenia ~ Pitcher Plant thread in this forum board. It is looking a little sad now but I have been ignoring it a bit though. The sarracenia purpura flowered this summer, as did the two poor VFTs.

The sarracenia purpura is potted in pure peat moss & the VFTs & the other pitcher plant were repotted into a 50/50 mix of pure peat moss & living sphagnum moss. The products we get, here, are good quality, thank goodness. I have only ever given them rain water & they aren't allowed to get close to drying out. We have seen some really interesting carnivorous plants at our favourite plant retailer & your info, plus enthusiasm, has given me a renewed interest in these plants. May have to get some more. :D

Thank you again for your pics & very heplful information.

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 9:27 am

joy it would be joy seeing more VFT and other varietys of Carnivorous

i am also glad mine are wanting you to have more as their going endangered incredibly FAST they have a total of about 75 miles where they grow in the wild in carolina north and south
    2 new traps are starting to open up after revealing their guards hairs from inside the little green trap =]

repotting tomorrow and cutting stalks tomorrow suppose to get worse here was raining and stuff
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 03 May 2010, 9:34 am

Hey Tyler, I watch good morning America most mornings (3am) and they were showing all the footage of the flooding, is this affecting you guys much?Hope it doesn't wash all your great plants away!

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 9:44 am

bruiser wrote:Hey Tyler, I watch good morning America most mornings (3am) and they were showing all the footage of the flooding, is this affecting you guys much?Hope it doesn't wash all your great plants away!

NO it doesnt VFT can stay 100% Submerge for 3 months underwater and come out alive.
    its how they tolerate "OVER" watering heeh. but yes in the bogs in the carolinas VFT can be swept away by a rain/flood land safely reroot and keep on growing its very interesting how they have learned to adapt.

you can feed your flytraps as much as they open their traps for you.

mine are outside but typically here its still getting cold but warming up ya know? so i hand feed them for now catching flys alive with my bare hands (Success rate about 75% with ALOT of pratice) i rip their wings off throw them in the water the traps sit in and get a stick get it on there the water will make it stick to the stick and it will be alive to still fully trigger a trap (YOU CAN EVEN SQUISH YOUR BUGS FIRST IF YOU WANT TO) you may think it will false trigger it but i believe they know when they have something because i have put 2 squished bugs in my traps then self triggered them till it closed then a day later they are vaccum sealed tightly shut!

If i get any Seeds off of my VFT that flowers and if yall want some let me get some adresses and yall will recieve some typical VFT seeds i have a all green vft my very little one is a vigorous fly trap and the rest i think are typicals
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 May 2010, 10:18 am

Thanks for the offer of seeds, Tyler, but the border authorities, Quarantine, Agriculture & Customs won't let most seeds into Australia. At the moment I cannot find definite info about VFT seeds but I don't fancy my chances. They would probably have to be nuked, at great cost, to sterilise them from any possible plant germs. They are very sensitive here about the possibility of letting any plant, etc pathogens in. They are readily available here, though. Have seen all sorts of carnivorous plants for sale.

Can't quite see me hand catching flies but we are very good at swatting them with a rolled up newspaper. I just left mine to their own devices & they did seem to do ok, though I did feed them the occasional fly. Now have a South African plant, a stapelia (it is in Succulents & Cacti) the flowers of which attract flies. Maybe I could put them together. :lol:

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 10:35 am

Joybells wrote:Thanks for the offer of seeds, Tyler, but the border authorities, Quarantine, Agriculture & Customs won't let most seeds into Australia. At the moment I cannot find definite info about VFT seeds but I don't fancy my chances. They would probably have to be nuked, at great cost, to sterilise them from any possible plant germs. They are very sensitive here about the possibility of letting any plant, etc pathogens in. They are readily available here, though. Have seen all sorts of carnivorous plants for sale.

Can't quite see me hand catching flies but we are very good at swatting them with a rolled up newspaper. I just left mine to their own devices & they did seem to do ok, though I did feed them the occasional fly. Now have a South African plant, a stapelia (it is in Succulents & Cacti) the flowers of which attract flies. Maybe I could put them together. :lol:

well that sucks :p mmm cacti sounds Good. haha maybe they would make a good combo ^^
    rolled up newspaper works but i prefer to find mine live ones like i just did hehe dam fly shouldnt of been bothering me
    stuck it in there triggered it then it paniced and ran side to side and the got death gripped fast.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 May 2010, 11:03 am

:rofl: Our flies are starting to get a little sluggish at the moment, so it would be dead easy to catch them BUT they are tricky Aussie flies sooo maybe not. :whistle:

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:05 pm

Joybells wrote::rofl: Our flies are starting to get a little sluggish at the moment, so it would be dead easy to catch them BUT they are tricky Aussie flies sooo maybe not. :whistle:
    lol go try :D it aint to hard if their on a wall dont come from the sides or above come from under and bring your hand up really fast and cup the fly in it they try to fly up but your hands going up too =]

OOOH NEW TRAPS OPENING!!!

red circles are traps just opening blue is traps just letting the guard hairs out =]
    took some pics of that because their in for the night now was getting rough might put them back out so i dont have to stay up and put them out at 5:30 when the sun rises
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:17 pm

Great shots do you usually bring them in each night?
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:29 pm

Is that two flowers-to-be I can see, Tyler??? The VFTs dom look very healthy. Most of our plants, including the carnivores, are outside all year round but are in a sheltered spot underneath the people upstair's balconies. Our front & back patios are directly beneath so all our outdoor plants are reasonably well protected.

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:40 pm

only if its going to get between 40-50 degrees or lower or if its raining hard and they will get filled up with water they can tolerate it but not to good to do it heh.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:55 pm

The very lowest of the night minimums in the middle of winter might get to 50F, if we were unlucky but not much lower, or very often. Thank goodness. :D

Post by Guest on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:59 pm

how to pollinate/seed a flowering VFT

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2660.html
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 03 May 2010, 4:15 pm

That was funny & very informative, Tyler. Those white flowers are the same as the ones my VFTs had before they decided to disappear. They are now microscopic. :(

Post by Guest on Tue 04 May 2010, 2:27 am

yeah i totally killed one replanting

Post by Guest on Tue 04 May 2010, 9:27 pm

new pics coming in a week or two let them settle down =]
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 May 2010, 9:29 pm

Okey-doke, Tyler. Shall look forward to seeing the pics. :good:

Post by Guest on Tue 04 May 2010, 9:32 pm

Joybells wrote:Okey-doke, Tyler. Shall look forward to seeing the pics. :good:

metoo and im wondering if their going to ship my plants today if they do then :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 04 May 2010, 9:35 pm

Where are they coming from??

Post by Guest on Wed 05 May 2010, 6:15 am

Carolina and nope they didnt get shipped damit :(

i also called all the local nurserys/walmart/homedepot so about 15 places looking for some more fly traps. none of them had any and depending on what the plants look like i get from this place if they look good im def getting more
    Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 05 May 2010, 6:18 am

I think your Hooked mate :lol: These VFT's have got you LOL

Post by Guest on Wed 05 May 2010, 11:55 am

bruiser wrote:I think your Hooked mate :lol: These VFT's have got you LOL

i KNOW! dang it lol yeah they stole all of my undivided love and attention
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 05 May 2010, 11:59 am

:lol: Bruiser is the same with his computers. :whistle:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm