OUR IMAGES

Stapelia Leendertziae

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stapelia Leendertziae

Post by Joy on Mon 10 Jan 2011, 9:34 pm

This one is a "Royal Hawaiian", Dawn. The other three are "Australis", a very slow grower, mindorensis, growing a bit faster, & "Indian Rope" which is growing more quickly than it is supposed to, as well. None of them are in a good spot for easy pic taking. May have to move them so we can, at least, see them. They don't have a "proper" home yet on out back patio. :O
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 2:27 pm

A third flower on the stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flower" has opened. Tried to force the flash on my camera, to illuminate the dim, dark depths of the interior of this flower, but it didn't work. :O Maybe I should use a torch. :whistle:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

I can imagine it would be a difficult image to get, the flower colour is dark too. A torch brilliant :idea:

They always remind me of the flower in the movie " little shop of horrors" Joy! :D

Last edited by Dawn on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : smilies)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 9:25 pm

The sun wasn't out when I took this pic, either, Dawn, so that didn't help. :roll: Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Would you believe that I have never seen The Little Shop of Horrors. :blush:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 11:11 pm

I did see it but wasn't too enamored with it. It was a musical I think and unless they are done absolutely spectular it normally doesn't hold me :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 13 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

Did Google it & there were two film versions of it, as well as the musical. Jack Nicholson was in the first movie made way back in 1960 when he was a young hunk. :whistle: :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 5:09 am

I think I saw it around the eighties, one of the kids brought it back from the video shop. I must try and get that earlier version maybe I would change my view of it :whistle: i wouldn't mind seeing Jack either :cool4: :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 3:49 pm

Especially when he was still in his prime. :whistle: There is also another straight (non-musical) version made in 1986 starring Rick Moranis & Steve Martin. Think I would definitely go for a young Jack. :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:45 pm

The last flower of the current flowering cycle of the stapelia leendertziae. There is no sign of the stapelia gigantea flowering at the moment.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:28 am

Joy wrote:Especially when he was still in his prime. :whistle: There is also another straight (non-musical) version made in 1986 starring Rick Moranis & Steve Martin. Think I would definitely go for a young Jack. :cool4:

Yep he was indeed very cool when he was younger :cool4: :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:38 am

Joy wrote:The last flower of the current flowering cycle of the stapelia leendertziae. There is no sign of the stapelia gigantea flowering at the moment.

That is a lovely image of it in the sun Joy! it shows off how healthy it is. :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 1:16 pm

It does look lovely & shiny. :smile: The colour was actually a deeper purple than it seems from this shot.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 29 Jan 2011, 4:24 pm

I thought I had commented on this plant before but I guess not.

It is amazing and unique.

The pods (that is what I call them) on the cactus is defined in much detail.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 29 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks Glad. This plant is not actually a cactus but is a thornless succulent which is very soft & velvety to the touch. The small stumpy things along the edges of the ridges, on the stems, are the leaves. Those pods are the developing flower buds & the flowers have no real petals as such. :smile: They are amazing plants as they grow in some of the driest places on the planet.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

This is a stapelia leendertziae flower "Carrion Flower" from 11 days ago. The small bud in the background opened up yesterday. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

The bud in the background of the previous stapelia leendertziae image has grown fairly quickly. :cool:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Mar 2011, 9:11 pm

That stapelia leendertziae bud, actually, opened yesterday. Have fallen a bit behind in my image posting. :blush:

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Wed 02 Mar 2011, 8:00 am

EEEWWW stinky :donald:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

The stapelia leendertziae buds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 3:31 pm

Meanwhile, the stapelia leendertziae was presenting us with another stinky flower. :sick2: Much to the flies' delight. :happy:

There is a fly inside this flower but as it is so dark in there it is hard to see it. It is to the right.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 3:33 pm

Here is the fly, still enamoured of the flower, crawling around the outside looking for the rotten meat. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 06 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

Here are the two stapelias ~ Leendertziae (on the right) & Gigantea (on the left), in their winter colours. Have no idea why they change colour in the colder weather, maybe it is to do with attracting the heat from the sun or something. :huh2: :??:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

The stapelia leendertziae or "Carrion Flower" has started flowering, already. It is late spring & will soon be summer & is should, hopefully, flower well as there are quite a few buds developing. :D This buds will open in the next couple of ays.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:52 pm

The stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flower" opened this morning. Took this pic using the flash as it was raining, making everything dull, which is why it is a different shade to its real colour.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

It had opened further by this afternoon. This is the real shade of a stapelia leendertziae.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Despite the rain, the flies were quick to follow the stapelia leendertziae's "fragrance" trail back to the flower.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:51 am