OUR IMAGES

Stapelia Leendertziae

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stapelia Leendertziae

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm

The third stapelia leendertziae flower bud has opened today but the first has already withered.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 31 May 2010, 9:57 pm

The two stapelias ~ leendertziae & gigantea ~ have both turned into a purple/brown shade after being such a nice green when they were flowering. Not having any buds, now would be an excellent time to repot them.

Hmmmm, must get on to that. :D

This is the two of them. It is hard to tell which is which.' :???:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 9:57 pm

Both stapelias have just been repotted in time for spring. Apparently stapelias will drop any flower buds or new growth if disturbed when growing these, such as being repotted. Didn't want to take that chance so did them last w/e.

As the stapelia leendetziae was hanging over the side of it pot so much I thought I could plant it at an angle &, hopefully, it might correct itself & turn its stems up straight. We'll see. :whistle:

This was taken when they were first repotted. See what I mean by planting the stapelia leendertziae at an angle. :wink:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

This one was taken two days later & the stapelia gigantea on the left has filled out well with some water. The water would run straight through the soil in the pots they were given to us in.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 07 Sep 2010, 2:07 pm

Look at the stapelia leendertziae now!!! It is standing up, lovely & straight. :bravo:

Both stapelias are now nice & plump again. They were rather skinny when I repotted them as any water would run straight through the other soil they were in. Don't know what it was as it was the soil that was in their pots when I received them. :huh2: :??:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Our Stapelias ~ Vol 2

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Nov 2010, 3:40 pm

This appears to be the start of a new flowering season for the stapelia leendertziae or "CXarrion Flower". There are four buds forming. Do hope there will be more this summer. :smile:

Three buds.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 10 Nov 2010, 3:41 pm

The fourth bud.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

The stapelia leendetziae "Carrion Flower" buds are growing so fast. They look so soft & velvety. Shame the flowers stink so badly.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 3:22 pm

Haven't been able to get outside to take pics of the stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flower" buds due to the rain we have been having. This afternoon it stopped long enough for me to, finally, get these. Not long before they open. :excited:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 3:23 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 3:24 pm

The third stalpelia bud.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 23 Nov 2010, 5:54 pm

Have just found a fourth stapelia leendertziae flower which is just as big as the other three. It was towards the back of the plant & was hiding in the pot of the stapelia. Never even saw it!!!! :O

Shall post images later. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 5:29 pm

The four stapelia leendertziae flowers to be. They are now facing downwards which they do just before they open.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 5:31 pm

This is the fourth flower bud which was hiding in the stapelia gigantea's pot. It is a paler colour & its pointy thing is bent. :lol2:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 5:32 pm

Facing downwards.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 5:33 pm

The stapelia leendertziae on its own.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 7:03 pm

Those are perfect buds Joy! I love the way you post your plants in every stage of growth. It makes for easy learning and viewing them!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 9:00 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: I like to do this as I feel it can be interesting. Plus, it is a record for me & also gives the Google, Bing & Yahoo bots something to do. :whistle:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 11:21 am

I have never seen anything like this! The flower appears to take the appearance of a face with a long nose.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 11:34 am

:lol: It sure does, Glad. They are starting to open right now. There are two of them in the early stages. Haven't noticed any stink, YET, from them. :cool4: Have taken some pics of them & will post them shortly. The ones that have started to open, should, hopefully, be fully open by late afternoon.

They are a very basic flower without petals, as we understand flowers to have, & the pistils & stamen are very rudimentary, as well.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 2:59 pm

The stapelia leendertziae or Carrion Flowers have all opened. Two opened yesterday & the other two today. The flies are loving it. Not that there are many flies around at the moment. Hope our Venus Fly Trap & sarracenia purpura score some of them, though.

Three of them. Two aren't yet shown fully open though they will be now. Must just pop out & take a pic or three. :whistle:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

Here is the solo stapelia leendertziae flower. :smile: Notice just how hairy the inside of the flower is. :cool4:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

Here is the pic I have just taken of the bf the bunch of three stapeila leendertziae flowers fully open. There was a fly buzzing around them at the time. The smell is there. :sick2:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 9:39 pm

Being in a pot display's the flowers of this plant so much better than lying on the ground as I have seen it before.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm

They do look better don't they?? :D Though I do believe nature probably intended them to lie on the ground to make it easier for insects & flies to get in & pollinate them. Then again, as they are nearing time to open they do start hanging down like bells. :smile:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:40 am