OUR IMAGES

Stapelia Leendertziae

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stapelia Leendertziae

Post by Joy on Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

The other bud is ready to open. As these are both hidden at the back of the stapelia leenderztiae plant they are hard to photograph.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

Our stapelia leendertziae is flowering & driving the flies nuts.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

Another stapelia leendertziae flower has opened. There were a couple more but missed them for some reason.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

The stapelia leendertziae has been flower at the hard-to-see back of the plant. Looks as though there were some flowers at the top of the pic as well. It's their smell which alerts you to its flowers. 

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

The stapelia leendertziae have been busily flowering but due to the flowers tending to be at the back of the container there aren' many pics. 

Here are some from more readily accessed flowers.

Stapelia leendertziae flowers in the morning.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:22 am

The stapelia leendertziae flowers have opened by the afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:23 am

The stapelia leendertziae flowers fully opened the following day.

Post by Guest on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 9:58 pm

Wow!!!!  Awesome photos Joy and what a wonderful walk through of the flowering!!!
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO envious....  :clap:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 7:22 am

Thanks Sanctuary.  :thanks: At the moment nothing much is happening with both stapelias as it is winter here but they seem to flower only on new growth in late summer & through our autumn. Both plants need repotting & could be split up. Like most succulents they grow easily from offcuts so "they" say.

Luckily we have a mild autumn & winter as we live in the coastal subtropics of the Pacific Ocean side of Australia.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 08 Jan 2015, 2:29 pm

Stapelia leendertziae starting to flower again this summer. These two are the first. The flies love the smell of these 'stinky flowers' AKA "Carrion flowers".
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 08 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

Looking straight into the bell of the stapelia leendertziae flower. It is very rudimentary with no elaborate pistils or stamen. Just a small one at the top inside of the bell.
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:05 am

I had one of these plants years ago and had to get rid of it because it was a house plant and wasn't so nice closed up in the house especially in the room where we spent most of our time. I donated it to a green house. lol.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:19 am

Hello Mable.  :hello2: Yes, you were brave to try having a stapelia as an indoor plant. Ours is just outside the backdoor & the 'aroma' from the flowers wafts into the kitchen. That is bad enough. Smells like old mouldy wet mops.  :sick2:  :shock: Thankfully the smell from each flower only lasts a couple of days.  :cheers:
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:50 am

But even tho the smell only last a couple of days it seemed that stink got in my nose and sinuses and lingered forever. When I got the plant I didn't realize it bloomed that stinky blossom. Pretty flower but it sure did stink.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

We were given our two stapelias, Mable & couldn't even identify them until they flowered.  :lol3: The flies sure love them. Must get another Venus Fly Trap to place beside them.  :D
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 12:31 am

Joy I have read that's the only way it can pollinate because  flies are the only thing attracted to it . We have an outside plant here called a " Angel's trumpet; Devil's weed; Thorn apple; Tolguacha; Jamestown weed; Stinkweed; Datura; Moonflower "that smells like that . My mother in law said they used to plant them around the "hog pens" to keep the flies away from the animals. It's a beautiful flower but it sure does stink ...When we first moved into our house the previous owners had planted some and it took years to get rid of it. I still have a stray to come up every few years.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 9:56 am

That is right, Mable. Where these plants originated there may not have been an abundance of bees & butterflies, attracted by pleasant perfumes, but plenty of flies attracted by carrion. 

The plant you describe is a noxious weed here so not planted in gardens. There is another angel trumpet which is a brugmansia & its flowers have a fragrant perfume. My brother survived poisoning from one of these flowers. He was only a baby & my sister gave him one to play with. Luckily he didn't ingest much of it. 

PS. The link doesn't work as it just goes to a blank Yahoo search page.
    MableShortt

Post by MableShortt on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 1:00 pm

sorry about the link. It was just several pictures of the Jimson weeds or Gypsum weeds which ever way you want to spell it.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

Does it have a a nasty thorn covered seed pod, Mable? If so that is the one that is classified here as a noxious weed as it toxic to animals. Here is a link to the Weeds Australia page on the datura stramonium which is described as having a "rank" smell. It is a native of USA & Mexico.

Common Thornapple

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:40 am