OUR IMAGES

Stapelia Leendertziae

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Stapelia Leendertziae

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 9:56 pm

Bruiser did some work on a lady's computer & when he refused payment, she asked if I would like a couple of her plants. Would I what !?!?! :D That was a few months ago. Then a few weeks ago, we came home to find these two plants on our front patio.

Last edited by Joy on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Stapelia Leendertziae

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 9:59 pm

The stapelia leendertziae from another angle. They were very dehydrated when we received them but they quickly plumped up after a drink of water.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

Both plants had buds & one of the buds on the larger plant started developing very quickly. At the time it was an "unknown succulent". The flower bud was a dark purple, which when photographed in certain light, shows as a soft pinky red.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:06 pm

It kept growing & growing. The plant, itself, is only about 15/17.5cms tall. A week after the previous image, it was much bigger & was hanging down. Had to move it, up off the ground, to a shelf.

It was, most definitely, a strange looking flower. Was still trying, desperately to find out what its name was & what sort of a plant they were.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:11 pm

This is closer to its true colour. This was taken the next day.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm

Yippee eye oh!!! The next day the flower began to open!! BUT, boy, did it smell funny. Now I was able to narrow the name search parameters &, finally, found out the genus of the two plants & the proper name of the one in flower. It is a stapelia leendertziae, or "Carrion Flower" (no wonder it ponged) & is native to Swaziland where it is rare in the wild. The second image is of it opened further.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm

Here it is from a different angle & is the pinky red.

Looking upwards into the dark depths of the flower. Its pistils & stamen are very small which is why they aren't visible.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:26 pm

Here is the whole stapelia leendertziae plant. The flower, also, known as "Black Bells" is 10/11cms long & is the only bell-shaped stapelia flower. It is such a big flower for such a small plant. The second image is of the other stapelia which I shan't be able to ID properly until it, too, flowers. It has grown since the first pic. The two plants are very different shades of green. This second one is a soft apple green.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 10:31 pm

Did read that if they are disturbed when they have buds, they will spontaneously abort these buds, so I will have leave them in the pots, they were delivered in, for a while. They seem perfectly happy in them. ;)

Can't wait to see what type of flower the other plant will have. These plants are so cool. 8)

Oh, forgot to mention that they smell like rotten meat so that they will attract flies who climb right up inside the flower & take part in the pollination process. Trouble is, there aren't any other of these plants near by.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 04 Mar 2010, 2:15 pm

The flower is starting to wrinkle up. The info I found said the flowers don't last long but it has lasted longer than some of my other flowers. :lol:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 05 Mar 2010, 9:57 pm

Well, the stapelia leendertziae flower lasted six days. Not bad. Here are today's pics of it starting to shrivel up. It is quite an interesting texture. There seem to be more buds starting to develop.

Taken early this morning & late this afternoon.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 5:31 pm

It even looks attractive when it is withering up. It very quickly fell off the stalk & now, over a week later, even the stalk has gone BUT there is a new flower, also very quickly, developing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm

Here is a pic of the stapelia leendertziae & its rapidly growing new bud. The unknown, as yet, type of stapelia has two buds which look as though they will flower together. Am really keen to find out what its flower will look like. These images were taken a few days ago.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 2:24 am

I am eager to see it too. Lovely to see the flower close up like that. My macros do not come out as nice as yours. What settings do you use on these Joy the close ups are fantastic

Is this the same plant Joy?. This one was from my Kirstenbosch Bot Garden album , do you think they are the same ?

You certainly have a way with these unsual plants Joy! I think I have said this before.

They also look a lot bigger than this plant? This one didnt have a label on it. The label you see there was for another plant.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 1:33 pm

It is definitely the same plant, Dawn. Ours is only 15-17.5cms tall & the bell flower (the only stapelia to have a bell flower), is 10/11cms long. Pretty big for the size of the plant. isn't it?? It comes from the northeastern escarpment & Swaziland. Info I read said that stapelia leendertziae is widely grown in gardens but is distinctly uncommon in the wild.

The setting I use on my Fuji Finepix S5700 camera is the Flower setting, as well as the delete button in Picasa3. :lol: The Flower setting has automatic macro.

Two pics from yesterday & today.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 17 Mar 2010, 3:46 pm

The unknown stapelia bud id really growing very quickly. It is about 9cms long. The stapeila leendertziae "Carrion Flower" or "Black Bell" bud is also growing fast.

Todays pics.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 19 Mar 2010, 9:02 pm

Two pics taken of the stapelia leendertziae this afternoon, a couple of hours apart. This morning, the flower hadn't opened. Tomorrow, it should be fully open & giving off that delicious (to flies) smell of rotten meat.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 20 Mar 2010, 8:59 pm

Did think the unknown stapelia would have burst open today but, alas, no. :( The stapelia leendertziae has opened fully, though, & is emitting its deliciously alluring (to flies) aroma. Boy, does it smell. You would not want it under the bedroom window. Or any window, for that matter.

Today's pics.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Apr 2010, 9:05 pm

The stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flower" has three larger buds & a fourth smaller one. This is not really its flowering season, either. :cool:

This is one of them. This plant has grown a lot since we were given it.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 13 Apr 2010, 9:07 pm

The other two larger stapelia leendertaziae buds with the smaller bud.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 2:46 pm

The stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flower" has surprised me by opening one of these flowers today. Thought there was a very pungent aroma. The few flies, that are around, seem to like this "perfume".

Last edited by Joybells on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 2:47 pm

A close up of the open flower & one with most of the plant. Gee, it has grown fast.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm

Another view of the three stapelia leendertziae flowers.

Last edited by Joybells on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm

Two of the stapelia leendertziae "Carrion Flowers" are open today. Trouble is that is has been raining off & on all day which has stopped flies from coming to find out what the delicious aroma is all about. :lol:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm

The third stapelia leendertziae flower bud has opened today but the first has already withered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:50 am