OUR IMAGES

Pelicans On A Power Pole

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Pelicans On A Power Pole

Post by Joy on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 10:50 am

Some images of two pelicans I managed just by sheer serendipity. I could not see these birds clearly, as they were between me & the sun. These were taken at our local boat harbour & the birds were waiting for fishermen to return from a day's fishing out at sea, hoping for a free feed.

Being dive bombed by some terns. The pelicans didn't even flinch.

Hey!!! You missed a bit!!!

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Pelicans On A Power Pole

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:39 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:39 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:40 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:45 pm

These two photos were taken in 1986 with my Kodak 500 film camera. I was fascinated by them as I wasn't very familiar with these birds. They were taken at the boat harbour of the town in which we now live.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:47 pm

There are many more homes, now, up on the hill behind the pelican.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 4:41 am

Amazing where do all the people come from??? My cousin could not believe the growth on the west coast here ,when she visited recently.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 2:38 pm

Many are retirees who want to live somewhere by the coast & land USED to be fairly cheap. Not any more. All these retirees & investors have pushed the prices up. Many young people, who grew up here, have to move away if they want to buy a home.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

Amazing how things go haywire..., same here, the prices are through the roof, as far as I am concerned!. It shuts the first home owner out almost.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 9:53 pm

Anyhow your Pelican photos are super . This last one looks nice and clean. probably just finished diving for fish
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 8:55 am

The pelicans, here, all seem to be like that. They never look dirty or scruffy. Not like the sacred ibis. :roll: The pelicans do leave plenty of poop, though. :lol:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 3:47 pm

The Pelicans here that I see in the rietvlei wetland reserve sit on a little muddy island, they always have a brown under side. I have seen 'clean ones' in flight, so I suppose they are not always dirty. I will try this weekend to get some photos. There are lots of birds there we used to get a lot of Flamingos. Now we get the odd one. The water was contaminated one year and killed all the fish, I think the Flamingos moved away after that.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 4:03 pm

Oh dear, Dawn. That is awful. How did the reserve get contaminated??? Do you know?? Even one pic of a flamingo would be fantastic, as would some images of the other birds there.

There isn't much in the way of mud around here which is why our local pelicans look so clean. If there was, they would, more than likely, be right in amongst it. :lol:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 20 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

Three Australian pelicans perching on a power & light pole down at the boat harbour by the river. No doubt keeping an eye out for any signs of cormorants getting fish. They try to bully them into giving up their catch. The local small black cormorants are awake to this & will only surface a distance away from the marauding pelicans.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm

smart birds  :) , thanks for the great photo Joy!  :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:38 pm

The small black cormorants (shags) are local birds, Dawn & are awake to the pelicans' way of trying to get a free lunch.  :lol3:  At the moment there are some larger cormorant breeds in town as well but they are bit big for the pelicans to bully. 

In the end there are plenty of fish & prawns for all of them but is fun to watch the pelicans swimming to where they saw the little black shag dive under & idly swim around waiting for it to surface while it does so a fair distance away behind them.  :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 6:22 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Joy! :) it is fun , just the thing I love to do as well !  :good:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

:smile:  Just some observations made over the years, Dawn.  There are so many birds here, both sea & "land" birds & it is easy to learn their ways if one is observant enough. Many people don't bother which is a shame.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 6:11 pm

absolutely  :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm

Especially when we have such a rich array of birdlife where we live, Dawn. Always bird noise, songs & chatter.   :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:53 pm

stunning hey !  :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:13 am

:good:  You better believe it Dawn.  :smile:  Early this beautiful morning I was hanging some washing on the rotary clothesline & a stunning spangled drongo landed on the end of one of the clothesline's arms less than a metre away from me. When I moved it flew to the next arm then its mate arrived & they flew up onto a nearby palm tree. They make a lovely bird sounds too. We are pleased to see them here.  :clap:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 6:14 am

:smile:  :good: , special Joy! when they come in close like that hey ! I feel the same way about some resident blackbirds. I love them,  they are still singing past 8pm. and every morning. I don't think I will ever get used to the call of blackbird song.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 7:34 am

That would be lovely, Dawn.  :cool3:  There are introduced common blackbirds in the south eastern parts of Australia but not usually found in our neck of the woods. Did see a strange bird in our yard, one day, which I was able to identify as a blackbird but that was a one off. 

They are plentiful in NZ as an introduced bird species, part of the original English/Scottish settlers trying to make NZ look like "home". This was to the detriment of the native flora & fauna.
    granny

Post by granny on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

:thanks: Joy for the pelican pictures!  Beautiful birds.
    Granny

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:27 pm