OUR IMAGES

Scenes From Whitsunday Islands, QLD ~ 1986 & 87

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Scenes From Whitsunday Islands, QLD ~ 1986 & 87

Post by Joy on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 9:53 pm

One of the many idyllic anchorages in the Whitsundays. I, actually, think this was at Goldsmiths Island, which is where we would anchor for the night before heading to Hamilton Island marina the next morning to end our trip up from Sydney, NSW. It was a beautiful spot & off the normal tourist boating scene.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 9:57 pm

In 1987 the movie Dead Calm with Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman & Billy Zane was filmed in & around the Whitsundays, including Hamilton Island. The Golden Plover was used in the movie & there was a replica built. It was extremely difficult to tell the two apart when at anchor but this is the real one.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 9:59 pm

Its normal work was as a tourist day trip charter boat.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:43 am

Absolutely beautiful photos Joy!
    We might not have had digital cameras then but you were a good photographer .
    My favourite has to be the 10th photo I think it was with the yachts in Macona outlet I think you called it. Lovely reflections in the water.
    They are all very nice to see.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 10:42 am

Thanks Dawn. Did have some flukes using my then camera. :lol: Some pics came out a lot clearer than others. :?: :?:

Most of those yachts would be skipperless charters & they all had to be at anchor before 4p.m. The charterers were told the best & safest spots for this. Macona & Nara Inlets were always popular. Now there are moorings, in these places, for the boats to tie up to rather than anchor as this has caused serious damage to the coral outcrops over the many, many years of such tourism.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:09 am